danieyella's micro baby tank

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely seeing a little bit of the salt creep others have mentioned along the tank/sump seam.

Has anyone found a solution to that yet?
How fast is overflow moving?
I was getting crazy salt creep in the lagoon while it is turnover like it blasting off into space lol.
Can you set a screen (I used food grade plastic netting from bag of oranges) below overflow in sump to break up the bubbles before they hit surface without impeding flow? The less bubbles that hit the top of water to pop and push salt up should reduce that for you. Worked for me but my lagoon is probably 1000x bigger haha

OP
OP
danieyella

danieyella

unfriendly local swamp witch
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How fast is overflow moving?
I was getting crazy salt creep in the lagoon while it is turnover like it blasting off into space lol.
Can you set a screen (I used food grade plastic netting from bag of oranges) below overflow in sump to break up the bubbles before they hit surface without impeding flow? The less bubbles that hit the top of water to pop and push salt up should reduce that for you. Worked for me but my lagoon is probably 1000x bigger haha
PXL_20211007_201730563.jpg

That's where I'm seeing it

OP
OP
danieyella

danieyella

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How does this tank even work? Lol does the tank just sit over sump?
Yep, pretty much you wedge it in.

The pump isn't super strong so I don't think it's a bubbling situation... Could be wrong.

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, pretty much you wedge it in.

The pump isn't super strong so I don't think it's a bubbling situation... Could be wrong.
Maybe lower sump level if possible. I bet lowering the tank in is raising level in sump just enough to cause issues. A net in sump to break up overflow may help as well though.

OP
OP
danieyella

danieyella

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe lower sump level if possible. I bet lowering the tank in is raising level in sump just enough to cause issues. A net in sump to break up overflow may help as well though.
I think adding a sight to the sump is going to be my first big mod. I have no idea where the sump level is currently.

Mhamilton0911

BitterSalty
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think adding a sight to the sump is going to be my first big mod. I have no idea where the sump level is currently.
I'm right here too. No idea where my sump level is.... I'll be following in case you discover the best way to go about it

OP
OP
danieyella

danieyella

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm right here too. No idea where my sump level is.... I'll be following in case you discover the best way to go about it
I watched a YouTube video from tank mods that seems pretty straightforward, I'll likely try to do something similar to that

Mhamilton0911

BitterSalty
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I watched a YouTube video from tank mods that seems pretty straightforward, I'll likely try to do something similar to that
I looked around for the video, but only saw one about an ato, was it in that video or a standalone?

Or could you link it, I'd love to research it

OP
OP
danieyella

danieyella

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I looked around for the video, but only saw one about an ato, was it in that video or a standalone?

Yes, give me a few to get back to my desktop and find it again and I'll pop it up for you (dealing with a rogue filefish in the big tank right now)

OP
OP
danieyella

danieyella

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

sorry for the delay, i totally forgot to get back to it.

Here you go!

OP
OP
danieyella

danieyella

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had to do my first q-tip wipedown yesterday. Front of tank was developing a nice film. All corals doing well. When I pulled over sand from the Cade, I apparently grabbed a small nassarius snail also. As soon as he pops up again I'm moving him back. I don't intend to actually *feed* this tank so I don't think he'll have a fighting chance.

OP
OP
danieyella

danieyella

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's almost tank bedtime.

Snail was pulled after this photo, I spooked him and he fell and twisted up.

Corals are all doing pretty well. I spotted some pods scooting around in there while watching tonight.

PXL_20211013_001024432.jpg

OP
OP
danieyella

danieyella

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tested moving the first sump sponge over so that the waters not flowing directly onto it immediately. Salt creep was worse on that side, so wondering if that's contributing. Will report back.

Did a water change today. 1/2 the display and the entire sump dumped, new batch of fritz water added in. No really noticeable evaporation problems so far.

Corals all still doing well. Need to do another qtip wipe down but, slacker. Not sure where my lens clip is so no photos right now.

Mhamilton0911

BitterSalty
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tested moving the first sump sponge over so that the waters not flowing directly onto it immediately. Salt creep was worse on that side, so wondering if that's contributing. Will report back.

Did a water change today. 1/2 the display and the entire sump dumped, new batch of fritz water added in. No really noticeable evaporation problems so far.

Corals all still doing well. Need to do another qtip wipe down but, slacker. Not sure where my lens clip is so no photos right now.
Was your creep on the left then? My salt creep is huge on that side, and mines empty under the overflow....

Also, could I buy one of the printed flow nozzle thingy from ya? Id like to try the difference between modified and the stock one. No biggie if you can't, figured I'd start here first, lol.

OP
OP
danieyella

danieyella

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was your creep on the left then? My salt creep is huge on that side, and mines empty under the overflow....

Also, could I buy one of the printed flow nozzle thingy from ya? Id like to try the difference between modified and the stock one. No biggie if you can't, figured I'd start here first, lol.
DM me your address, I'll print one for you no problem.

Yeah, all my salt creep is on the left.

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had to do my first q-tip wipedown yesterday. Front of tank was developing a nice film. All corals doing well. When I pulled over sand from the Cade, I apparently grabbed a small nassarius snail also. As soon as he pops up again I'm moving him back. I don't intend to actually *feed* this tank so I don't think he'll have a fighting chance.

I have been trying for this pic since reading this, this is an adult dove dove snail and is about 10 mm little, they live in the sand so turn it over and love glass film algae, get two as they can breed like bunnies if there is enough food. :)

DSC_0399 (862x668).jpg

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back