DanTheReefer’s ProStar 150

DanTheReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New house, new tank. Upgraded my classic 75 gallon to a ProStar 150 (120 gallon display).

To a greater extent than my prior tanks over past 17 years, I really wanted this one to be aesthetically pleasing within the house and have it as a focal point of living area in the home. It is direct line of sight from front door.

IMG_7610.jpeg

Equipment:
Lights: 3X NooPsyche K7 V3
Flow: Ecotech MP40 and Jebao OW-40
Return: Orlushy DC-9000
Skimmer: Reef Octopus 150 EXT

Controller: I made a reef-pi (Raspberry Pi 4) with temp/ ph monitoring, and 3X outlet control. Planning to add dosing soon. I have an old iPad2 next to tank that displays ReefPi Ph and temp
Old iPad showing Pi stats
IMG_7320.jpeg

Control board
IMG_7620.jpeg

Power bar for ReefPi that I designed and printed
IMG_7208.jpeg

Filtration:
Protein skimmer, 3X filter socks (dislike but it’s noisy without them), BRS 6” media reactor for occasional carbon. Also plastic bio balls in sump so I can quickly spin up a QT. Sump is definitely the biggest eye sore of the system.
IMG_7622.jpeg

Params:
Temp: 75 F
Ph: 7.6-8.0 typical day
Alk: 6.5 dKh
Phos: .25 ppm
Don’t test others frequently

Dosing:
All for Reef by hand, daily

Water changes: Almost never, tank is dialed in, but I did a lot while tank was breaking in years ago. If an issue arises I just do a lot of water changes while trying to figure out root cause

Fish:
Kole Tang
2X Classic Oscellaris Clowns
2X Chromis
1X Coral Beauty
1X Royal Gramma

All of the fish are 2+ years old

Coral:
Mostly easy SPS like montis, most are beautiful mature colonies now
IMG_7661.jpeg
IMG_7654.jpeg
IMG_7658.jpeg

I may be wrong but feel like this Monti may be somewhat unique with its green spots amongst the red. Maybe time to get some space from the torch…
IMG_7651.jpeg

New Mai Thai Goni (bad photo)

IMG_7502.jpeg

Torch:
IMG_7652.jpeg

Zoas:
IMG_7660.jpeg
Anyone know what zoa below is?
IMG_7646.jpeg

Frog Spawn:
IMG_7653.jpeg

Porities
IMG_7662.jpeg

Other Inverts:
Derasa Clam

IMG_7656.jpeg

Shrimp

IMG_7643.jpeg

More photos, how about an orange filter:
IMG_7532.jpeg
IMG_7529.jpeg
IMG_7531.jpeg

IMG_7637.jpeg

IMG_7664.jpeg

Things I’d like to improve:
-Bare spots in sand
-Fuge light spill
-Cabinet tidiness
-Aquascape for right half of tank

Let me know your thoughts IMG_7640.jpeg IMG_7649.jpeg

Prior 75 G tank

IMG_5013.jpeg

Last edited:

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great, well done and thanks for sharing!! :star-struck:

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New house, new tank. Upgraded my classic 75 gallon to a ProStar 150 (120 gallon display).

To a greater extent than my prior tanks over past 17 years, I really wanted this one to be aesthetically pleasing within the house and have it as a focal point of living area in the home. It is direct line of sight from front door.

IMG_7610.jpeg

Equipment:

Controller: I made a reef-pi (Raspberry Pi 4) with temp/ ph monitoring, and 3X outlet control. Planning to add dosing soon. I have an old iPad2 next to tank that displays ReefPi Ph and temp
IMG_7320.jpeg

Control board
IMG_7620.jpeg

IMG_7208.jpeg

Filtration:
Protein skimmer, 3X filter socks (dislike but it’s noisy without them), BRS 6” media reactor for occasional carbon. Also plastic bio balls in sump so I can quickly spin up a QT. Sump is definitely the biggest eye sore of the system.
IMG_7622.jpeg

Params:

Dosing:

Water changes: Almost never, tank is dialed in, but I did a lot while tank was breaking in years ago. If an issue arises I just do a lot of water changes while trying to figure out root cause

Fish:
Kole Tang
2X Chromis
1X Coral Beauty
1X Royal Gramma

Coral:
IMG_7661.jpeg
IMG_7654.jpeg
IMG_7658.jpeg

I may be wrong but feel like this Monti may be somewhat unique with its green spots amongst the red. Maybe time to get some space from the torch…
IMG_7651.jpeg

IMG_7502.jpeg

Torch:
IMG_7652.jpeg

Zoas:
IMG_7660.jpeg
IMG_7646.jpeg

Frog Spawn:
IMG_7653.jpeg

Porities
IMG_7662.jpeg

Other Inverts:
Derasa Clam

IMG_7656.jpeg

Shrimp

IMG_7643.jpeg

IMG_7532.jpeg
IMG_7529.jpeg
IMG_7531.jpeg

IMG_7637.jpeg

IMG_7664.jpeg

-Bare spots in sand
-Fuge light spill
-Cabinet tidiness

Prior 75 G tank

IMG_5013.jpeg
Some great coral in your tank!

Macsreefs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank looks awesome! love the new set up!! I’ve had a few tips from people with rock work when aquascaping that helped me a lot so I’ll pass it on. It’s pretty basic really. I had a bunch of rocks kinda thrown in mine and it didn’t look the best, I tried to make caves and find the perfect rocks that looked like caves for the fish and also aesthetics. After a year or so of moving stuff around and ticking off everything someone finally gave the the bright idea of using a chisel… ya simple right just a chisel and hammer and slowly chisel away. Go slow and when you get the rocks to the size and shape you want and try to stack them… if they rest on each other well stick some glue under and let it hold for a few minutes… I finally have a structure / aquascape I find somewhat appealing and you can’t see glue or any chisel marks or anything… if you have any advice for me or tips/input I would love to hear it!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    170.8 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_2653.jpeg
    IMG_2653.jpeg
    264.7 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_2654.jpeg
    IMG_2654.jpeg
    256.5 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_2652.jpeg
    IMG_2652.jpeg
    294 KB · Views: 18
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    178 KB · Views: 18
OP
OP
D

DanTheReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank looks awesome! love the new set up!! I’ve had a few tips from people with rock work when aquascaping that helped me a lot so I’ll pass it on. It’s pretty basic really. I had a bunch of rocks kinda thrown in mine and it didn’t look the best, I tried to make caves and find the perfect rocks that looked like caves for the fish and also aesthetics. After a year or so of moving stuff around and ticking off everything someone finally gave the the bright idea of using a chisel… ya simple right just a chisel and hammer and slowly chisel away. Go slow and when you get the rocks to the size and shape you want and try to stack them… if they rest on each other well stick some glue under and let it hold for a few minutes… I finally have a structure / aquascape I find somewhat appealing and you can’t see glue or any chisel marks or anything… if you have any advice for me or tips/input I would love to hear it!

Your tank looks great and thanks for suggestions, definitely fish friendly with the hiding places.

So I did at one point put the time into scaping when I first set up the 75 with dry rock 4 years ago and there was a lot of breaking and bonding the rocks, was almost happy with it. During the two tank moves in a year it felt like a bit of a bleep show and I wasn’t able to get things back to where they were in one piece.

Prior to move #1:
IMG_6963.jpeg

After move #1, knew this would be temporary so mostly set up to keep things alive vs aesthetics
IMG_2026.jpeg

Prior to move #2:
IMG_5014.jpeg

After move #2:
IMG_6463.jpeg

After some rearranging:
IMG_6584.jpeg

OP
OP
D

DanTheReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking at the same tank. Are you satisfied with the quality and its performance overall? I am looking at this one compared to the IM's.

Overall very happy, tank is beautiful, the high gloss stand is pretty unique and looks really nice. I’ll get into the details on the gripes, but I would still buy again.

All of my complaints are geared towards the overflow, and I think IM does a lot better in that category. The Prostar is internal vs external for the IMs I looked at. Workmanship issue, my overflow tower actually is not exactly center, I think about a half inch off, and it’s very noticeable when the mesh lids are on because they meet right in the middle. The IMs are 3 drain bean animals so you can make dead silent and have an extra emergency drain. The Prostar looked like a 2 drain herbie style to me but they are not - the drains are identical heights. They have silencer inserts to reduce noise, but do not surface skim when those are on, had a lot of film build up first week tank was running. To get around that, I removed one of the silencers and reduced flow through that one, so it’s sort of like a Herbie now and it’s pretty quiet. I had a guest comment on how quiet it is last week.

Something else to watch out for is the plumbing is metric (I’m sure ProStar isn’t only brand). But I cut the return to plumb in a manifold and the manifold I made was very loose. I ended up 3D printing an ABS sleeve to wedge in between the imperial/ metric pieces and bought a specialty cement to bond the ABS to PVC. Worked perfectly but what a pain.

I also dislike filter sock compartments and ProStar has them just like pretty much everyone else.

If I recall, the things I noticed that I didn’t like about IMs when I was shopping is the sumps are wall to wall (wasn’t clear where equipment would go), long lead time for models I would have gotten, and higher price

Kathy Floyd

ktfloyd01
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thank you, @DanTheReefer . I just placed the order today for it. I have noticed a couple people have said the exact same thing as you. I have a couple guys from the lfs coming to install it so I'm sure they can fix the plumbing issues. :)

Going from a 60g to 150, I'm nervous about it. lol

OP
OP
D

DanTheReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, @DanTheReefer . I just placed the order today for it. I have noticed a couple people have said the exact same thing as you. I have a couple guys from the lfs coming to install it so I'm sure they can fix the plumbing issues. :)

Going from a 60g to 150, I'm nervous about it. lol

Awesome! Yeah before filling up maybe have them consider if they can make the drains Herbie style, guessing they can be unscrewed. Good luck let me know how it goes :)

rphman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

IMG_7610.jpeg

Equipment:

IMG_7320.jpeg

Control board
IMG_7620.jpeg

IMG_7208.jpeg

Filtration:
IMG_7622.jpeg

Params:

Dosing:

Fish:
Kole Tang
2X Chromis
1X Coral Beauty
1X Royal Gramma

Coral:
IMG_7661.jpeg
IMG_7654.jpeg
IMG_7658.jpeg

IMG_7651.jpeg

IMG_7502.jpeg

Torch:
IMG_7652.jpeg

Zoas:
IMG_7660.jpeg
IMG_7646.jpeg

Frog Spawn:
IMG_7653.jpeg

Porities
IMG_7662.jpeg

Other Inverts:
Derasa Clam

IMG_7656.jpeg

Shrimp

IMG_7643.jpeg

IMG_7532.jpeg
IMG_7529.jpeg
IMG_7531.jpeg

IMG_7637.jpeg

IMG_7664.jpeg

-Bare spots in sand
-Fuge light spill
-Cabinet tidiness

Prior 75 G tank

IMG_5013.jpeg
how are the Noopsyche holding up? im on fence about getting them or forking out the cash for some radions

OP
OP
D

DanTheReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No issues yet, I had 4 ATI T5s over the old 75 and was expecting a tail off in growth but opposite happened. I max NPs out at 55%. The fans can be heard every now and then but aren’t too bad, suspect about same as Radion. The app is a little underwhelming but does the job and they have performed well. Running 14 months now.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 21 13.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 93 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.9%
Back