Dark spot on swallowtail angel fish

koolademan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My swallowtail angelfish seems to have this decently sized dark spot. There’s a smaller one on the other side too. I was wondering if it could be a disease or if it’s normal. It does seem to be eating and I have fed it a mix of focus and metroplex in case of infection.

I’ve had it for around 2 weeks. The fish may have already had the marks on it when I got it but I’m not sure

IMG_1101.jpeg IMG_1100.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_1099.mov
    22.8 MB
OP
OP
K

koolademan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The one in the pictures is larger and also in a different spot than the one not shown in the pictures. I’m not too sure if it’s internal or how to check it it is though.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
With the lighting it's hard to tell - it may be some damage/minor injury with shipping/netting, etc. Did you Qt the fish? Any other symptoms or other fish in the tank (which could be a bullying issue)

OP
OP
K

koolademan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a couple of reasons I didn’t qt the fish. Thinking back on it none of them for a good reason. There’s a blue eye kole tang that initially seemed to fight with when I placed the angelfish into the tank but it’s wasn’t anything serious and they don’t touch each other now. The other fish are 4 fire fish 1 cleaner wrasse 1 leopard wrasse and a tail spot blenny.

I can try to get a better picture of it

OP
OP
K

koolademan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@MnFish1 hope these are a little better

Attachments

• IMG_1103.jpeg
    IMG_1103.jpeg
    111.8 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_1102.jpeg
    IMG_1102.jpeg
    134.9 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_1105.mov
    13.9 MB
OP
OP
K

koolademan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if the video will play

Attachments

• IMG_1107.jpeg
    IMG_1107.jpeg
    744.2 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_1106.jpeg
    IMG_1106.jpeg
    81.6 KB · Views: 32

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ugh, that could be Uronema. The spot looks like it and the fish is breathing a bit fast and is swimming a bit "off".

The firefish also is breathing a bit fast. Does your tank have good aeration (not just circulation)?

Jay

Reefer911

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like uronema. I lost two Watanabei angels to it. And when my third one started showing spots like yours, I started dosing hydrogen peroxide daily. I had read that by the time they show spots, it’s a done deal and there’s nothing that can be done (in the case of uronema).

This was back in May I’m guessing and the spots have cleared and my fish seems as healthy as ever.

There’s a big write up on Humblefish talking about dosing peroxide in a diseased aquarium.

Of course, there’s no way to know 100% if my fish had uronema but this fish had been in the same QT with another fish with uronema so I am confident that’s what it was. Also, does H2O2 cure certain diseases? I’m not sure but I know my fish is still living after showing spots that looked like uronema. I still dose H2O2 daily

OP
OP
K

koolademan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ugh, that could be Uronema. The spot looks like it and the fish is breathing a bit fast and is swimming a bit "off".

The firefish also is breathing a bit fast. Does your tank have good aeration (not just circulation)?

Jay
Thank you I’ll take a look at that thread. I thought it was but I just put an air stone into the tank so if it wasn’t hopefully it is now.

OP
OP
K

koolademan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like uronema. I lost two Watanabei angels to it. And when my third one started showing spots like yours, I started dosing hydrogen peroxide daily. I had read that by the time they show spots, it’s a done deal and there’s nothing that can be done (in the case of uronema).

This was back in May I’m guessing and the spots have cleared and my fish seems as healthy as ever.

There’s a big write up on Humblefish talking about dosing peroxide in a diseased aquarium.

Of course, there’s no way to know 100% if my fish had uronema but this fish had been in the same QT with another fish with uronema so I am confident that’s what it was. Also, does H2O2 cure certain diseases? I’m not sure but I know my fish is still living after showing spots that looked like uronema. I still dose H2O2 daily
I’m sorry to hear that but glad the third one is doing alright! How much did you dose in the tank? Did your fish recover or does he still show those spots?

Reefer911

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I roughly followed their 1ml/5gallon 3x daily recommendation.
I say roughly because I was a little under that per dose, but I did dose 3x daily

My fish is doing fine and shows no red spots. Eating well and super active. Lots of personality too by the way.

Reefer911

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something you can do until you figure out what’s going on, or another course of action.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@MnFish1 hope these are a little better
Without reading the rest that stripe down the middle - not quite a spot looks like uronema. However I think thats quite rare here

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thank you I’ll take a look at that thread. I thought it was but I just put an air stone into the tank so if it wasn’t hopefully it is now.
Additionally, - the spot is on both sides.

OP
OP
K

koolademan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@MnFish1 thanks for following up ive been dosing hydrogen peroxide to the tank and feeding it metroplex mixed with food. I also realized it seems like the large spot is on a bump on its side not sure if that changes anything

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@MnFish1 thanks for following up ive been dosing hydrogen peroxide to the tank and feeding it metroplex mixed with food. I also realized it seems like the large spot is on a bump on its side not sure if that changes anything

Each day that goes by with the fish still alive and the spot not growing larger, rules out Uronema as a possible diagnosis.
That said, hydrogen peroxide as an external treatment would have NO benefit against inter-cellular Uronema. Metroplex in the food has been tried before, but with advanced uronema, the fish stop feeding, so of course that won't help then.

Jay

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Each day that goes by with the fish still alive and the spot not growing larger, rules out Uronema as a possible diagnosis.
That said, hydrogen peroxide as an external treatment would have NO benefit against inter-cellular Uronema. Metroplex in the food has been tried before, but with advanced uronema, the fish stop feeding, so of course that won't help then.

Jay
Have you ever seen a fish with uronema survive?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 147 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.5%
Back