Swallowtail Angel - flakey skin and lethargic

Marckoh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi #fishmedic – I need help with my swallowtail Angel.

I woke up this morning to my swallow tail angel looking like below. Yesterday She was eating normal and active although not her normal energetic self. Today she is staying in her cave and only came out when I put food in to get this video.

I have had her for approx. 6 mths with no prior issues. I have added two other fish in last 6 mths, both were quarantined prior to DT.

Aquarium Parameters:
Aquarium type: Mixed Reef DT.
Aquarium water volume 100G DT, 25G Sump
Filtration type – Filter sock and skimmer
Lighting – Radeon XR15 G6
How long has the aquarium been established? 12 months

Water quality measured with hanna
Temperature 77.3F
pH: 8.2
Salinity / specific gravity 1.026

Alkalinity 8.8 dKH
Ammonia 0.0
Nitrite 0.0
Nitrate 12.0 ppm
Phosphorus 0.07 ppm

In-depth information:
Have you lost any fish to this problem yet? NO
Are any invertebrates affected? NO
Are the affected fish still feeding? Today sparingly, yesterday as normal.
What remedies have you tried so far? NONE
image and video.
swallowtail.jpeg

video here:

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Appears to be bacterial and can be from water quality, bite marks from given tank mates or skin irritation
Treat in separate tank using seachem kanaplex

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi #fishmedic – I need help with my swallowtail Angel.

I woke up this morning to my swallow tail angel looking like below. Yesterday She was eating normal and active although not her normal energetic self. Today she is staying in her cave and only came out when I put food in to get this video.

I have had her for approx. 6 mths with no prior issues. I have added two other fish in last 6 mths, both were quarantined prior to DT.

Aquarium Parameters:
Aquarium type: Mixed Reef DT.
Aquarium water volume 100G DT, 25G Sump
Filtration type – Filter sock and skimmer
Lighting – Radeon XR15 G6
How long has the aquarium been established? 12 months

Water quality measured with hanna
Temperature 77.3F
pH: 8.2
Salinity / specific gravity 1.026

Alkalinity 8.8 dKH
Ammonia 0.0
Nitrite 0.0
Nitrate 12.0 ppm
Phosphorus 0.07 ppm

In-depth information:
Have you lost any fish to this problem yet? NO
Are any invertebrates affected? NO
Are the affected fish still feeding? Today sparingly, yesterday as normal.
What remedies have you tried so far? NONE
image and video.
swallowtail.jpeg

video here:

How are the other fish in the tank? Any symptoms with them?

This could be a systemic bacterial infection, but it also could be from flukes. It might also be a protozoan infection (but the video does not show signs that clearly show that).

Jay

OP
OP
Marckoh

Marckoh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are the other fish in the tank? Any symptoms with them?

This could be a systemic bacterial infection, but it also could be from flukes. It might also be a protozoan infection (but the video does not show signs that clearly show that).

Jay
Hi Jay - other fish in tank appear fine - all active and eating with no signs of skin damage.

I have ordered kanaplex per vetteguy suggestion and I already have PraziPro on hand.

Now you mention flukes, I did notice a few days ago the swallow tail what I thought was 'flashing' against its image in the glass; but perhaps she was scratching?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hi Jay - other fish in tank appear fine - all active and eating with no signs of skin damage.

I have ordered kanaplex per vetteguy suggestion and I already have PraziPro on hand.

Now you mention flukes, I did notice a few days ago the swallow tail what I thought was 'flashing' against its image in the glass; but perhaps she was scratching?
If flukes, flashing is one of a few signs.
Other behavior will be red or swollen gills, elevated breathing rate, yawning like effect, scratching against objects, hiding and loss of appetite as examples

OP
OP
Marckoh

Marckoh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
She didn’t make it through the night

She came out of her cave in the evening and swam close to surface. I added some food which she ignored so assumed looking for oxygen.

These are photos this morning. I’m surprised by the red coloration. These were not there yesterday. IMG_2743.jpeg IMG_2742.jpeg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Sorry to hear.

While the first pictures didn’t look like it, the post mortem pics could be Uronema. Mixed infections with bacteria are also possible. Luckily Uronema is not super contagious.

Jay

OP
OP
Marckoh

Marckoh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear.

While the first pictures didn’t look like it, the post mortem pics could be Uronema. Mixed infections with bacteria are also possible. Luckily Uronema is not super contagious.

Jay
@Jay Hemdal sadly we lost two more fish - midas blenny and mimic tang - they did not exhibit the same 'fuzzy' skin as the swallowtail and post mortem no red blotches. Basically they appeared ok one day, then they didnt come out of their caves for a day and in morning had died.

In case it was flukes that killed the Swallowtail, I added PraziPro and an airstone but no other changes.

Remaining fish are 2 Clowns, 3 Gobies and 1 Wrasse that 'appear' ok, but are slightly less active; I assumed it was due to praziPro.

So what do I do:
1 - for remaining fish.
2 - for future.

For future after research this forum I now understand Diet, water parameters/stability and no aggressive fish are key to good health = Low Stress. I always QT fish for 30+ days and use copper/Prazipro.

But is there anything else I should do to minimize the risk of disease? For example install a UV sterilizer?

I really appreciate your insight and time. Thank you.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jay Hemdal sadly we lost two more fish - midas blenny and mimic tang - they did not exhibit the same 'fuzzy' skin as the swallowtail and post mortem no red blotches. Basically they appeared ok one day, then they didnt come out of their caves for a day and in morning had died.

In case it was flukes that killed the Swallowtail, I added PraziPro and an airstone but no other changes.

Remaining fish are 2 Clowns, 3 Gobies and 1 Wrasse that 'appear' ok, but are slightly less active; I assumed it was due to praziPro.

So what do I do:
1 - for remaining fish.
2 - for future.

For future after research this forum I now understand Diet, water parameters/stability and no aggressive fish are key to good health = Low Stress. I always QT fish for 30+ days and use copper/Prazipro.

But is there anything else I should do to minimize the risk of disease? For example install a UV sterilizer?

I really appreciate your insight and time. Thank you.
A proactive quarantine process goes far in stoping disease epidemics in aquariums. It isn’t 100%, but it really helps.

Jay

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I too suspect uronema. Please post pics of other two that you lost if possible

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 88 57.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.2%
Back