OP
JayM

JayM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One more question
If you can, move some non-calcium filter media over to the new tank - a filter sponge if you have that, just something with bacteria on it to jump start the nitrogen cycle.
Jay
The only thing I’d have available for that would be a chunk of the caribsea rock that’s in the tank. I know it would be sacrificial due to possibly absorbing copper, but I’m also concerned that it would make it difficult to maintain copper at a therapeutic level.

I would also be willing to sacrifice a filter sock if the potential for good bacteria outweighs the bad.

Would some sort of “quick start” in a bottle be a better idea?

I was thinking I could keep a container of fresh salt mix pre-medicated with copper and just do w/c to keep ammonia in check. Is that a bad idea?

Also wondering if more than 30 day copper treatment would be ok should it take a couple of days to catch all of the fish for treatment.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
One more quick question - for now anyway. I'm gonna run home at lunchtime and get hospital/QT setup. Should I use DT water, or fresh salt mix? I would assume fresh to avoid transferring the fewest amount of nasties possible, but figured I'd ask anyway. I've only got a little 6 gallon tank. Hopefully that will suffice. At least until the weekend when hopefully I can get something a bit bigger if necessary.

#fishmedic
IMHO - unfortunately I cannot read other answers for some reason - I would use fresh - however - use DT if necessary

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One more question

The only thing I’d have available for that would be a chunk of the caribsea rock that’s in the tank. I know it would be sacrificial due to possibly absorbing copper, but I’m also concerned that it would make it difficult to maintain copper at a therapeutic level.

I would also be willing to sacrifice a filter sock if the potential for good bacteria outweighs the bad.

Would some sort of “quick start” in a bottle be a better idea?

I was thinking I could keep a container of fresh salt mix pre-medicated with copper and just do w/c to keep ammonia in check. Is that a bad idea?

Also wondering if more than 30 day copper treatment would be ok should it take a couple of days to catch all of the fish for treatment.
Yes, you can use products like Dr. Tim’s to jump start the biological filter, but media from a well established tank always works better and is cheaper.
If you mix up water in advance, that works, but you’ll need to heat and aerate it.
Longer than 30 days copper due to the logistics of moving the fish is fine.
Jay

OP
OP
JayM

JayM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Managed to get everyone out and only had to remove 100% of my corals and 99% of the rock to do so. :pleading-face:

Found CUC taking care of my last damsel, and as I suspected, Midas blenny didn’t make it either. Don’t have anyway to test copper until tomorrow, so I dosed according to directions on the bottle for 2 ppm. Once I have a tester in hand I’ll bump it up and start the 30 day clock.

I'm guessing 76 days fallow on the DT is still the recommended length of time for ich?

OP
OP
JayM

JayM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coppersafe treatment seems to be going well. 5 of the 6 fish eat 3 times a day. Flakes or pellets morning and afternoon, Reef Frenzy in the evening. The 6th (YWG), only eats the Reef Frenzy once a day, but that's pretty much his normal routine. The Tang and the Foxface also graze on Nori all day.

I do however, have more questions (of course). The Foxface has a yellow patch right in the middle of the white stripe that runs from his upper lip to the top of his head. I haven't noticed this before, but maybe I just wasn't paying close enough attention. Is this normal coloration? Side effect of coppersafe? Stress? He also seems to be breathing fast, but again, maybe normal. I'm not sure.

I also noticed that my tang was bumping his head on the plastic tree. I've never seen this before. It doesn't really look like flashing, and there's no visible irritants. Do tangs do weird "clownfish" stuff like that? As you can see in the video, I did just feed. I can only assume for the moment that he was pecking at food as he's a pretty aggressive eater.

Video is about a minute and a half.

#fishmedic

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coppersafe treatment seems to be going well. 5 of the 6 fish eat 3 times a day. Flakes or pellets morning and afternoon, Reef Frenzy in the evening. The 6th (YWG), only eats the Reef Frenzy once a day, but that's pretty much his normal routine. The Tang and the Foxface also graze on Nori all day.

I do however, have more questions (of course). The Foxface has a yellow patch right in the middle of the white stripe that runs from his upper lip to the top of his head. I haven't noticed this before, but maybe I just wasn't paying close enough attention. Is this normal coloration? Side effect of coppersafe? Stress? He also seems to be breathing fast, but again, maybe normal. I'm not sure.

I also noticed that my tang was bumping his head on the plastic tree. I've never seen this before. It doesn't really look like flashing, and there's no visible irritants. Do tangs do weird "clownfish" stuff like that? As you can see in the video, I did just feed. I can only assume for the moment that he was pecking at food as he's a pretty aggressive eater.

Video is about a minute and a half.

#fishmedic

What is the current ammonia level and what test kit are you using?
What sort of mechanical filter is on the tank?
Particulates in the water can cause fish to scratch and I want to rule that out.

Jay

OP
OP
JayM

JayM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the current ammonia level and what test kit are you using?
What sort of mechanical filter is on the tank?
Particulates in the water can cause fish to scratch and I want to rule that out.

Jay
I’m only using the Seachem badge. It appears to be in between the “safe” and “alert” coloration. I’ve got 3 in there and they have all appeared about the same since day one (12/11). Not opposed to buying a Hanna Checker if necessary. Unless there’s a less expensive kit that works well with coppersafe, but under the impression that there is not.

Filtration is a bio wheel HOB rated for 10-20 gallons (QT is 10 gallons) using the included filter pad with the carbon removed. Added a handful of Fluval Biomax media and about 1/2 oz of Fritz Turbostart. I will say the water has been a bit cloudy since about day 2, and water changes haven’t seemed to help.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m only using the Seachem badge. It appears to be in between the “safe” and “alert” coloration. I’ve got 3 in there and they have all appeared about the same since day one (12/11). Not opposed to buying a Hanna Checker if necessary. Unless there’s a less expensive kit that works well with coppersafe, but under the impression that there is not.

Filtration is a bio wheel HOB rated for 10-20 gallons (QT is 10 gallons) using the included filter pad with the carbon removed. Added a handful of Fluval Biomax media and about 1/2 oz of Fritz Turbostart. I will say the water has been a bit cloudy since about day 2, and water changes haven’t seemed to help.
Thanks, I just wanted to rule some issues. Any chance of getting better mechanical filtration? Maybe doubling up on the cartridges or something?

Jay

OP
OP
JayM

JayM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I just wanted to rule some issues. Any chance of getting better mechanical filtration? Maybe doubling up on the cartridges or something?

Jay
I can try to stuff another pad in there. Or perhaps a bigger HOB. They’re cheap enough.

Turns out some of the cloudiness was a thin film of algae on the glass. Water looks a tad clearer after scraping. I’ll know more in the morning after giving it all time to filter/settle.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 66 75.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 12.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 6.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back