Swallowtail Angel laying on sandbed (video)

shawnriv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello All,

I’ve had my swallowtail angelfish for about a year now. Very active fish and eats well. I noticed yesterday he was laying on the sandbed in between a bunch of rocks. I was surprised to see he appeared dead. I put fish in the tank and he popped up and began eating. After he ate and went back to laying down. I checked this morning and still was showing the same behavior. I just removed it from the DT and adding it to my quarantine tank. I just added it and went straight back to laying down. Here is a video of it coming from my DT to the quarantine tank. I am assuming it’s a goner but no issues breathing. Please see video below.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Darn. I suspect a gas bladder (swim bladder) issue. I don't know what would cause that in this case, since you've had the fish for a year already. I'm guessing there isn't much that can be done here. We'll see what Jay says.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello All,

I’ve had my swallowtail angelfish for about a year now. Very active fish and eats well. I noticed yesterday he was laying on the sandbed in between a bunch of rocks. I was surprised to see he appeared dead. I put fish in the tank and he popped up and began eating. After he ate and went back to laying down. I checked this morning and still was showing the same behavior. I just removed it from the DT and adding it to my quarantine tank. I just added it and went straight back to laying down. Here is a video of it coming from my DT to the quarantine tank. I am assuming it’s a goner but no issues breathing. Please see video below.

So - its still eating well today?

Fish are normally a bit negatively buoyant, so a fish that doesn't actively swim will slowly sink to the bottom. Often, fish stop swimming when they are sick and weak. However, in those cases, the fish also stop feeding.

Swim bladder issues are almost always seen as overinflation - the fish struggles to stay down and sort of bobs along.

Jay

OP
OP
shawnriv

shawnriv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So - its still eating well today?

Fish are normally a bit negatively buoyant, so a fish that doesn't actively swim will slowly sink to the bottom. Often, fish stop swimming when they are sick and weak. However, in those cases, the fish also stop feeding.

Swim bladder issues are almost always seen as overinflation - the fish struggles to stay down and sort of bobs along.

Jay
He's been in the quarantine tank for about five hours with the lights off to reduce stress. I turned the lights on and he was on his side not moving. I threw some frozen mysis in just to see what would happen. He got up, swam around, and ate the mysis shrimp. After a minute of acting normal, he went to the corner of the tank and laid back down, dead-like as before. :face-with-raised-eyebrow:

Xanthurum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no idea what’s going on with it but felt like letting you know it’s a she not a he lol. I know that doesn’t help anything and I hope she makes a recovery. My girls made a pretty impressive recovery from a terrible case of Popeye caused by an unknown injury so they can be pretty resilient. My only suggestion is feed her as much as possible and see if that helps.
IMG_2306.jpeg

IMG_2516.jpeg

Last edited:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He's been in the quarantine tank for about five hours with the lights off to reduce stress. I turned the lights on and he was on his side not moving. I threw some frozen mysis in just to see what would happen. He got up, swam around, and ate the mysis shrimp. After a minute of acting normal, he went to the corner of the tank and laid back down, dead-like as before. :face-with-raised-eyebrow:

Well, the fish is acting like it has a deflated swim bladder. Sorry, I've never seen that except in newly collected fish that were decompressed with a needle. Not sure why this would have happened to this fish. Supportive care, like you are doing is really the only suggestion I would have.

Jay

Phichidod

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a swallow tail I got this week doing the exact same thing. Just got her into a quarantine tank and she comes to eat then lays down. All parameters are right. Was eating perfectly and swimming yesterday. Beautiful fish but may need to take back to lfs.

IMG_0405.jpeg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 56.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.7%
Back