Dave's IM Lagoon 25 Build - Reef-Pi - Seneye

HairNutz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Temp Placeholder while I move my original post to this thread and update everything.
Original - https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/new-im-lagoon-25.713321/#post-7414239
During the move - some things will be inaccurate.

IM Lagoon 25 + 2nd Custom Caddy
100 watt Fluval E heater
Instant Ocean Salt

Kessil Tuna Blue A160WE
2x Hydor Koralia Nano 240
RO/DI Buddy 50gph
25lbs Marco Rock (Too much)
40lbs CaribSea Aragalive in Fiji Pink sand (Too Much)

Water Parameter Testing:
API Saltwater Master Test Kit
API KH Test
API Phosphate Test
Seneye Reef
Refractometer

Controller:
(Work In Progress)
Raspberry Pi 4
Reef-Pi
Lighting Controller
Virtual Here providing remote connection to Seneye

Lessons Learned during setup (no particular order):
1. $$$ and addictive - and there's not even any life in the tank yet
2. Putty by itself doesn't bond. Use putty to help fill the gaps so the connections have less wiggle room. Use a combination of putty and superglue.
3. Putty smells like big foots genitals. For days.
4. New/Empty tank. Place rocks. Dump sand. Then - fill with water.
5. Aquariums are humidifiers.
6. One tank is not enough. Apparently, aquatic animals you buy are dirty pirate h0okers and come with (potential) disease that requires you to have a 2nd tank to quarantine them in before placing in your tank.
7. Tank stands cost more than the tank.
8. TBC

Please ignore the cable mismanagement / sand level.

Added Sand.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
H

HairNutz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More to come but - 100% my Seneye readings are light sensitive. Specifically, PH.

Ive had this tank up > 1 month now 0 lights on w/a Kessil 160 above it. While finally getting my Reef-Pi controller working without strobe effect (800mhz) my PH shot from 7.6 to 8.1 Ive spent >5 days researching how to raise PH and if I even should given my tank hasnt started cycling.

I put about 3-4 hrs of light on it and PH went up. I thought great! Finally! But no, the Seneye read higher due to the blue light I had in tank. I know this because of the instant change and the chemical test. I shut off light, guess what. PH went back to normal on the Seneye. I have weeks of 'stable' readings at 7.5-7.6.

Ive also done the RO/DI test at tap and the fresh air exchange. I believe my low PH is stale air as Ive watched it flux a bit with windows open and ceiling fan on but not this big of a change.

Just information.

Also the phone app shows more than the PC app or wesbsite and the phone app stays C regardless of the multiple F settings I put in place.

Last edited:
OP
OP
H

HairNutz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At some point I will organize/condense this stuff into something presentable but for now.
Another lesson learned. My tank isnt doing anything with ghost feeding and my pH has been 7.6 since day 1.

I got some Kalkwasser thinking it would raise PH. It did. I read not to dose too fast and the max per water without it falling out. Well, I didnt care about too fast because I have nothing in my tank. I dropped about what was recommended into my tank (not the max but the half max). What I did not take into consideration is while my mixture was ok, my water is already hard. So. White crap on everything everywhere.

I let it rest 2 days but water was still so cloudy and layer of white on the sand.

I spent time today draining everything. Cleaning everything. Its still not crystal clear (glass or nooks and crannies in the tank) but Ill spend more time tomorrow cleaning best I can.

New batch of water brewing to put back in tank.

Redo.... Lesson learned.

I wont be worrying about pH as much. My water is what it is, the air in my room is what it is. Until I get something in my tank other than water, 7.6 is what it is. I dont want to have to keep a tank at 8.2/8.3 and worry about matching that with my water change tank too. I know me, I will mess that up.

Fun times :)

Last edited:

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 7 6.4%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 29 26.6%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 53 48.6%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 18 16.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.8%

Back