David's Red Sea Reefer Peninsula 500 Build

David Taghehchian

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Build thread for my new (as of 16-Dec-2017) Red Sea Reefer Peninsula 500 (Deluxe Edition).
More Pictures and information to come.

20171223_134023.jpg

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a sweet looking setup, I love how clean these tanks look. Puts my jerry-rigged stand built from a piece of office furniture to shame haha

OP
OP
D

David Taghehchian

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a sweet looking setup, I love how clean these tanks look. Puts my jerry-rigged stand built from a piece of office furniture to shame haha
Thanks! I wasn't sure at first if I wanted to build something custom myself or just buy a "package" reef setup like this. Ultimately I'm very please with this tank.
I did have to make the light mount myself though. I plan to post some pictures of how I did it when I get home.

OP
OP
D

David Taghehchian

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Initial Setup on 16-Dec-2017
General Approach - In general, I plan to keep it simple and as "natural" as possible. I don't like the idea of lots of chemicals, additives, water changes, etc. understanding it is necessary and unavoidable in some instances. With that in mind, I am hoping to make the Refugium the main source of nutrient reduction. Water change frequency is still TBD, hoping for 3-4 weeks on average. Finally, I plan to dose 2-part Alk and Calcium.

- We went back and forth on whether to put it in the kitchen/living room (as shown here) or downstairs in a bedroom/activity room. I was concerned about pH with the tank in a room having a gas stove, gas oven, more traffic, etc. and no windows to open based on an issue I had before with a nano tank. I decided to just go with it, hoping the Refugium and larger water volume helps keep the pH up and more consistent.

Aquascape - We used about 80 pounds of live rock for this aquascape, made up of a mix of Pukani, tonga branch, and shelf as well as a couple pieces of "real reef rock" I had from my old tank. We laid in about 1.5" of medium sized sand for the sand bed, unfortunately I can't remember the name as I type this.

Equipment
  • Lights - 3ea. AI Hydra TwentySix HD LED's (part of Deluxe package from Red Sea)
  • Return Pump - Current USA eFlux 1900 (w/ a second identical pump for spare)
  • Heater - Aquatop 300W Titanium Heater w/ digital controller
  • Biological Filter Media - 1ea. 8"x8"x4" MarinePure Ceramic Block and ~20 1.5" spherical MarinePure balls
  • Filter Socks - 4ea. standard Red Sea socks (225 and 100 micron)
  • Refugium Light - Kessil H380 LED
  • Skimmer - Bubble Magus Curve 7 (added on 2-Jan-2018)

20171216_125251.jpg

20171216_165556.jpg

20180106_201139.jpg

OP
OP
D

David Taghehchian

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Building the Light Mount
Reasoning - When deciding which tank to buy, we chose to go with the Deluxe version of the Red Sea Reefer Peninsula 500. I was first torn between the T5 and LED options, but in the end I liked: 1. the idea of one less thing to worry about choosing/buying and 2. the adjustability of LED's. So we ended up with three AI Hydra TwentySix LED's. The tank/kit came with a hanging mount system, but with tall ceilings my wife and I agreed it would look less than favorable to have something hanging from wires. Thus began my task of creating a light mount solution. And let me tell you, I am incredibly glad we didn't just hang the lights from the ceiling.

Designing - I did some searching on the internet and came across a few ideas, but one thought wouldn't leave my mind: I want the light mount to compliment the Peninsula design of the tank. I was envisioning a Cantilever beam over the tank with an open end, like a peninsula. After some intense Googling I came across this video and I was inspired by his use of 80/20 extruded aluminum.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="" frameborder="0" gesture="media" allow="encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>
I went to 8020.net and started to piece together my design. They have a deflection calculator which is pretty helpful too. See the Ordering section below for a list of what I ended up choosing/designing.

Ordering Parts - I’ll keep this section simple, here is my list of ordered parts/supplies. Note: I ended up needing more bolts than I ordered, but I was able to make do with what I had. I also had to order the AI HMS Brackets for mounting the Hydra TwnetySix's to the horizontal beam. Those were about ~$10 each for 3 pieces.
8020 Order List.jpg

Construction – 80/20 didn’t have the bolts I wanted for mounting the vertical beam to the stand so I decided to wait for everything to come in then make a trip to the hardware store. I used black Socket Head Screws with flat washers doubled up on fender washers finished off with a nylock nut. I measured and marked everything from inside the cabinet because there wasn't enough space between the wall and the tank to work. It was a major pain to work in the tiny cabinet space of the tank. If I could do it again I would have had all the stuff when the tank arrived and installed it prior to assembling the tank stand. I say that, but it may not have come out so nice that way either. I drilled the holes for the first mounting angle bracket and began partial assembly and it all went together pretty nicely. Once the first bracket was drilled there others were pretty easy. After then, final assembly and it was almost done. I wasn't planning to use the hanging mount at all but then I had an idea, "What if I put the mount together, and instead of it holding the LED's up, the LED's hold IT up as trim." As you can see from the pictures it worked out well.
20171222_153116.jpg

20171222_165818.jpg

20171222_180350.jpg

20171223_134152.jpg

20171223_134203.jpg

20171223_134307.jpg

20171223_134337.jpg

20171223_145302.jpg

Conclusion - I amazed myself! I didn't imagine it would look this good. I think the pictures speak for themselves. If you need more details or have questions, please ask.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

David Taghehchian

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Refugium
I am hoping to have the refugium act as the main method of nutrient export. Accordingly, I spent a boat load of money ($300) on a Refugium light. After watching the BRS TV videos I was sold on the idea and on the Kessil H380 LED light. I also did some light reading (pun intended) and I didn't find anything that deterred me from this plan.

Here is a picture of the refugium area. I swapped what Red Sea calls the refugium and skimmer section.
20180106_194727.jpg

markwelland

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love this build David. It’s exactly what I’m planning! Can’t wait to see how you feel about the P500. Initial thoughts? What have you currently put in the fuge as substrate? Mark

OP
OP
D

David Taghehchian

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love this build David. It’s exactly what I’m planning! Can’t wait to see how you feel about the P500. Initial thoughts? What have you currently put in the fuge as substrate? Mark

Thanks, Mark. So far I love it. I need a few more things equipment wise before I call it a complete setup, namely more powerheads.

What you see in the picture there are spherical MarinePure balls (1.5" diameter). I had them laying around unused form my last tank so I threw them in there. I don't plan to put any sort of true substrate in the Refugium for now. Do you know of a particular reason why I should?

OP
OP
D

David Taghehchian

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very clean looking. I really like the light mount
Thanks. The pictures I posted so far are just after after initial setup. I have more pictures just need to post them with write-ups. I just got through the "ugly phase" and now I'm building up the livestock and bio-load. I plan to update more of this build thread later tonight.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This is a great build!

markwelland

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, Mark. So far I love it. I need a few more things equipment wise before I call it a complete setup, namely more powerheads.

What you see in the picture there are spherical MarinePure balls (1.5" diameter). I had them laying around unused form my last tank so I threw them in there. I don't plan to put any sort of true substrate in the Refugium for now. Do you know of a particular reason why I should?

Powerheads is going to be one of my biggest queries. How do we create enough flow in our peninsula style tanks without having a powerhead on the glass end of the aquarium? Be interesting to see your thoughts and result on this... Which way do you think your going to go?

As for the fuge... My plan would be to keep it as clean and simple as possible. I think the marine pure balls will be a great addition to a ball of chaeto.

OP
OP
D

David Taghehchian

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Powerheads is going to be one of my biggest queries. How do we create enough flow in our peninsula style tanks without having a powerhead on the glass end of the aquarium? Be interesting to see your thoughts and result on this... Which way do you think your going to go?

As for the fuge... My plan would be to keep it as clean and simple as possible. I think the marine pure balls will be a great addition to a ball of chaeto.
Right now I have one Jebao PP-8, the return, and a (temporary) mixing/water change pump in there. All are pointed from the overflow side to the glass side. Interestingly enough the glass side has plenty of flow, meanwhile the rock and overflow side is quite lacking. I guess it makes sense when you think about it, but I honestly thought i would have a problem getting enough flow at the glass end. I think that won't be an issue at all.

I am thinking i will get another PP-8 or two and point them toward the glass end, and maybe two PP-4's or PP-8s set low and point them at the rocks/mid point in the tank. I'll surely post what my find solution is, as well as progress along the way.

OP
OP
D

David Taghehchian

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Skimmer
Location and Space
As mentioned in the Refugium post, I decided to swap what Red Sea designates as the Refugium and Skimmer sections of the Sump. That left me with a space for the skimmer of ~9" x 12" maximum, 9 x 9 if I wanted to still easily remove the Filter Socks without having to deal with the Skimmer. I have plenty of head height and/or water depth for almost any skimmer in my size range so that wasn't really a concern.

Short List of Options
$300 - Bubble Magus Curve 7 - 9" x 9" (depending on configuration)
$400 - Bubble Magus Curve D8 - 9" x 10"
$400 - Vertex Omega 150 - 9" x 12" (at the base w/ an external pump, smaller up top)

Decision
I had heard good first hand reviews of the Curve 7, and given the size was the best to not worry about the socks, and the $100 savings, I decided to give it a shot. It also has all the major features of high end skimmer. I was somewhat intrigued by the spinning action of the Vertex 150 due to the offset pump, but I couldn't justify the extra $100 just for that.

Installation and Results
Assembly was pretty easy after watching some Youtube videos while I waiting for it to arrive. Prior to putting it in the tank I gave it a good rub down under tap water (no soap), dried it thoroughly, then rinsed wit with RO/DI water before drying it again. The instructions suggest a water depth of something like 9" to 11". My sump is about 10" in the skimmer section so I thought this would be perfect. In reality it was way too deep. The skimmer was pulling a very thin and wet skimmate within 15 minutes. I had a 4" thick MarinePure block in the Refugium so I decided to put that under the Skimmer. I left for the evening and when I came back 3 hours later I couldn't believe how well the skimmer was working already. It had a thick, very dark skimmate in the cup. I have it set to "3" no the vertical water outlet pipe and haven't touched the settings since installation. If you get a Bubble Magus Curve 7 I suggest setting in at 6" water depth. After running for 1.5 weeks it's still pulling the same type of thick, dark skimmate. It isn't completely silent, but with the cabinet closed it is hardly noticeable.

Skimmate after running for 24hrs. Note the amount of space available to pull out the sock trays.
20180105_115139.jpg

Skimmate after running for 48hrs
20180106_194738.jpg

OP
OP
D

David Taghehchian

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Progress shot, tank is through the "Ugly Phase" now. Some hair algae growing in a few spots, monitoring moving forward. I plan to add some tangs in about 2 weeks, hopefully they knock that down.
20180110_174418.jpg
20180110_174457.jpg
20180110_174516.jpg

jrlafrance

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right now I have one Jebao PP-8, the return, and a (temporary) mixing/water change pump in there. All are pointed from the overflow side to the glass side. Interestingly enough the glass side has plenty of flow, meanwhile the rock and overflow side is quite lacking. I guess it makes sense when you think about it, but I honestly thought i would have a problem getting enough flow at the glass end. I think that won't be an issue at all.

I am thinking i will get another PP-8 or two and point them toward the glass end, and maybe two PP-4's or PP-8s set low and point them at the rocks/mid point in the tank. I'll surely post what my find solution is, as well as progress along the way.
I have the Reefer 650 Peninsula and I have a Maxspect Gyre 250 mounted vertically to the glass, beside the overflow. With only 50% power, I find it provides plenty if flow down one side of the tank and back around the other side.

markwelland

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the Reefer 650 Peninsula and I have a Maxspect Gyre 250 mounted vertically to the glass, beside the overflow. With only 50% power, I find it provides plenty if flow down one side of the tank and back around the other side.

Ooooooooh sounds interesting. Got any images/videos?

OP
OP
D

David Taghehchian

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you kindly post a picture of your rockscape? Also, do you get enough flow over and through the rocks and corals?
I wondered about getting one gyre instead of multiple powerheads.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 65 39.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 21.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 35.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.7%
Back