OP
D

David Taghehchian

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey David, I am admiring your light stand and am thinking of doing something similar. Did you mount the horizontal cantilevered piece to the top of the upright one or to the side? I don't know if it makes a difference or not but I am trying to measure out my aluminum bars and was curious which way you did yours. Any reason you chose the black bolts for the corner brace? (Aesthetics or a practical purpose?)
I put the horizontal cantilevered beam on top of the vertical beam's end. I did this to minimize (slightly) the stress in the horizontal beam as much as possible. It also made it easier to install. First I bolted on the vertical beam, then slid the horizontal beam onto it and secured the bolts.

I chose the black bolts for aesthetics and because I liked the integrated washer into the bolt head. When I purchased, the silver bolts didn't have that.
20180525_064604.jpg

OP
OP
D

David Taghehchian

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
D

David Taghehchian

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have the ability to adjust the height of the lights off the top of the water with your new cantilevered mounting arm?

Dan,

With the configuration I used, it can be raised approximately 3 inches by putting a block beneath the vertical beam (on the floor) where it mounts to the stand.

Another solution would be to change the connection where the horizontal and vertical beams meet. I think has a plate to make a T-joint. That would easily allow adjusting the height of the lights.

Lastly, you can choose height of the Vertical beam when you order direct from 80/20.

Lionsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now that you have had your system running for 8+ months, would you change any of the decisions you made? Are you having success growing acros under the Hydra LEDs? I'm looking at the same RS 500 Peninsula and thinking about lights, refugium, skimmer, pumps, etc.

GK3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I put the horizontal cantilevered beam on top of the vertical beam's end. I did this to minimize (slightly) the stress in the horizontal beam as much as possible. It also made it easier to install. First I bolted on the vertical beam, then slid the horizontal beam onto it and secured the bolts.

I chose the black bolts for aesthetics and because I liked the integrated washer into the bolt head. When I purchased, the silver bolts didn't have that.
20180525_064604.jpg

You could also land a 747 on it. +1 for over engineering it - I do that too!

OP
OP
D

David Taghehchian

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now that you have had your system running for 8+ months, would you change any of the decisions you made? Are you having success growing acros under the Hydra LEDs? I'm looking at the same RS 500 Peninsula and thinking about lights, refugium, skimmer, pumps, etc.

Sorry for late reply. Unfortunately I had to take the tank down a couple months ago. It was a combination of external influences (mobility requirements of working in the oil and gas industry) and a Dinoflagelate problem.

What would I change?
1. First and foremost the time I had to put into the tank. I was always just getting by with the bare minimum of maintenance due to time constraints and it showed at times.
2. I wish I had tested more often for nutrients. I believe (not 100% certain) that my dino problem was due to long periods of zero or almost zero phosphates and nitrates. I tried adding a lot of food, increasing bio-load, turning off skimmer and/or Refugium for varying periods but nothing worked. I think the Dinos just got out of control with nutrients being too low for too long, then were taking in any/all the nutrients before anything else could and eventually overran the tank. I decided I needed to tear it down and restart to get rid of the problem. Just as I started to breakdown the tank I pulled the trigger and decided to get rid of the tank. Partially to make moving easier, partially because I felt I was failing the tank inhabitants without the proper time needed to maintain the tank.
3. Overall, I wouldn't have changed my setup all that much. In fact I wish I had gotten everything from the start. I waited to get a ReefKeeper Lite for dosing. Having it earlier would have prevented the need manual dosing in the early days.
4. The lights were great, I never felt like they were an issue. I only had a couple of acroporas in the tank and they seemed to do fine; neither were high end or difficult to grow though. I never had a chance to start ramping up the lights to get the colors to come out.
5. I would have added a chiller. Even with my house at 74 degrees constantly, the tank would get hotter than I liked some days. it never seemed to impact the corals, it was just something that bothered me. I would have added one if I hadn't taken it down by now.
6. A larger top off reservoir would have been nice. preferably with a lid to prevent it from evaporating.

I sold the tank, lights, and light stand but still have the skimmer, Reefkeeper lite w/ BRS Dosing Pumps, DC return pump+spare , Kessil H380, RODI system and more. Message me if you are interested in buying.

Nht

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where did you get your 80/20 parts for the light stand? And also do you have the part number?It looks great!

I wanted to make something like that for my next build but instead of mounting to the stand I wanted to mount to the wall.

OP
OP
D

David Taghehchian

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where did you get your 80/20 parts for the light stand? And also do you have the part number?It looks great!

I wanted to make something like that for my next build but instead of mounting to the stand I wanted to mount to the wall.

I ordered from 8020 directly. Here is the link to their website - https://www.8020.net/

Regarding part numbers/parts list/etc., all that information is included in this post in this thread - https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/davids-red-sea-reefer-peninsula-500-build.348465/#post-4344470

ClaireT13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I know this is an old post, looks great and I bet it looks so different now, but I was wondering how much sand you used please? I've just purchased this model. Thanks.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 137 74.9%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 16 8.7%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 27 14.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.6%
Back