Seahorse whisperer
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
this is really a beautifully natural looking reef
Thank you Oliver. Yes, I am striving for a very natural looking reef so I very much appreciate your comment.

Well 1 of the firefish is looking like it will not make it. Bummer, I hate this. This may be a poor decision on my part but I moved all the healthy looking fish into the display. I hope that I do not really regret this choice but I felt the healthy ones could benefit from being in a stable enviroment with lots of hiding places. I was pretty sure that they would not be bullied and I feed this tank very heavy with a good variety of frozen and dry food. Wish me luck!

Reef Chasers Aquaculture
OP
vlangel

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Good news...the 1 firefish, the clownfish, the wrasse and the Royal gramma all ate in the display tank. They are also comfortably swimming in the open water. The YWG is residing in a cave but does not appear to be cowering. I have not seen it eat yet but he is a robust fish so I am optimistic.

These 5 fish make a nice addition to the tank's inhabitants. They spend more time in the open water and add color so I am pleased with them as long as they live! LOL

OP
vlangel

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
This morning the yellow watchman goby ate well so he was the last hold out that was worrying me. I have probably turned the corner and hopefully my new fish will all fatten up like my old fish. I love having plump fish!

Tidal Gardens
OP
vlangel

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
I placed another order with Live Aquaria using the credit from the fish losses I experienced with the last order. I will not order anymore fish but I felt inverts have a better chance being mailed. I used to have a beautiful purple blue Crocea clam for years which I sold when I got seahorses. I have been wanting another clam so I ordered an ORA aquaculture Hippopus clam. It sounded sturdier than croceas so I thought it should do pretty well in this high nutrient tank. I have 2 volunteer scallops that are growing great so even though this clam is barely 2" I think it will get the food it needs to thrive. I placed it in the lowest level in the sand with a cup shaped live rock under it. Hopefully it attaches its byssal thread to the rock and so can be moved if that ever becomes necessary. I will take a pic when it opens and the lights are on.

AquaCave Logo Banner
OP
vlangel

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Tank is looking awesome Dawn!!
Thanks Chris! I am liking this tank more than any I have ever had. For this season of life, this tank is just the right size and it's very easily maintained and yet had a lot of life in it.

REEFTIDE
OP
vlangel

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
vlangel

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
we need an open picture!
Nice, what color is a Hippo clam?
This pic shows the clam open and captures the color fairly accurately. It's kind of a white-ish very pale greenish color with tan. It's not striking like the maximas, croceas, squamosas and other greater clams. I don't know if all Hippopus clams are so drab or not. Of course the pic on Live Aquaria look a bit more exciting. When I first saw it, I was somewhat disappointed but it was fairly reasonably priced for a 2-3" clam and I care more about health than it being showy. It's still a cool creature and I will enjoy it.

OP
vlangel

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
This morning I worked in the basement 30 gallon fuge. Since I have a DIY reverse durso (to control drain noise) and a DIY overflow into the 20 gallon L sump, the fuge is, shall we say ' a bit homespun'. It will never be display worthy but I decided to do what I could to make it a little less utilitarian looking. That entailed moving rockwork to hide as much of the drainline as possible. This also opened up a lot more of the sand bed which I am going to plant shoal seagrass in. I am trading some of my photosynthetic purple sponge for the seagrass. It should be fun trying my hand at it and shoal seagrass is one of the easier species to grow. I will take a pic after this all happens.

Corals.com
OP
vlangel

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
This is a long overdue update on my tank but this past weekend I finally got the shoal seagrass. I am excited at the prospects of trying my hand at them.

OP
vlangel

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
This is the latest video taken of my tank,
9-24-20
This tank has been so stable since the fuge was added and matured. I am hoping that the addition of the seagrass does not negatively impact the balance of the system. Everything seems to be working like clockwork!

Tidal Gardens 4th Sale 3
OP
vlangel

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Last edited:

How close to perfect, for you, is your reef aquarium?

• IT'S PERFECT NOW

Votes: 18 3.6%
  • It's getting close

Votes: 68 13.7%
  • It's about half way there

Votes: 92 18.5%
  • It's slow but progressing

Votes: 152 30.6%
  • It's not even close

Votes: 152 30.6%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 14 2.8%