OP
vlangel

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was looking at pics of my tank when it was first set up and realized that I prefer a clean bb as opposed to the bottom covered in coraline algae. Uhgg, that means a lot of elbow grease in store for me.

In other news, Ruth is looking more and more like a Reuben.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

She looks just like new again! I love that this tank is easy to keep it looking fresh and new.

Looks great! I like it better with the clean bottom too. Makes it look like there is sand even though there isn't. :)

OP
OP
vlangel

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great! I like it better with the clean bottom too. Makes it look like there is sand even though there isn't. :)
Thanks! I painted it to look like sand, but then I thought that maybe coraline dotted all through it might look even more like sand. What I didn't realize is how fast coraline dots go to coraline major coverage. That made the tank darker, dirtier looking and even more crowded in appearance. Live and learn.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm with you there! We have a "display" at work that is barebottom and looks really dirty now that the coraline algae has started covering the bottom of the tank. Not cute as it turns out.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coraline is not too bad to scrape off. I expected it to be harder than it was. I used a metal scrapper with a handle.

That works. I usually use a razor blade.

OP
OP
vlangel

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not much new to report. Eve and Ruth are doing well and were playing in the flow earlier today. Yesterday I did a WC and suck debris out of the tank. The glass stays reasonably clean and so I am surmising that nutrients are in control. Tomorrow I will test nitrates.

Heather w

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't wait to get my tank cycled for my seahorses. I had to get my 75gal "perfected"
20170312_115450.jpg

I'm getting there

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using REEF2REEF mobile app

OP
OP
vlangel

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't wait to get my tank cycled for my seahorses. I had to get my 75gal "perfected"
20170312_115450.jpg

I'm getting there

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using REEF2REEF mobile app
Yes, I can see that you are! Hooray for progress. The coral you have look good for seahorses although I could not tell for sure if the long polyps at the ends of your tank on both sides were a stinging coral or not.
Also I see several fish that would be problematic with seahorses, particularly the foxface, dwarf angel and maybe the wrasse.

OP
OP
vlangel

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After this morning's WC, I decided to see if I still had amphipods in my 5.5 gallon culture tank. I have neglected it terribly and haven't done WCs or even fed them for a while. Anyway, it still looked pretty good so I harvested some to put in the seahorse display, did a WC and fed them. When they are being fed they produce much better.

OP
OP
vlangel

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am always looking for ways to make my WCs easier since I do so many. I made a huge improvement a year and a half ago when I moved my sump to the basement. That allowed me to fill a brute can from the laundry sink with RO/DI water. The brute can is on a dolly so I just wheeled it from the laundry sink over to the basement fishroom where the sump is. I mix my salt there and since there is a drain right there I can drain the sump into the drain and then pump the newly made saltwater from the brute can back into the sump. No lifting or carrying water, halleluia!

I do still have to drag a brute can full of water a fair distance however, (well past the curtains and through a door to the laundry room). The cold water line runs directly above my sump. I am wondering if I used a saddle valve to pierce the water line and ran tubing to my RO/DI unit with a shut off valve then I could fill my brute can in the fishroom. The problem is the tubing on my portable RO/DI unit is 3/16th and all the kits are for 1/4th inch. If the tubing I attach to unit is not tight enough there wont be enough pressure, right?

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kit are you talking about that you need that's only comes in 1/4? I'm really a visual girl, so can you point to some links that show what you're talking about. I had water change systems running all over my house. We can definitely make this easier for you.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 41.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 21 21.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 34.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.1%
Back