OP
DBarsotti

DBarsotti

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what is the name of the tabling acro? that is a nice piece and your prop tank is cool I need one bad...but need some corals to decisions decisions do you have A seperated QT tank or does the prop tank double as A QT tank also ?
this tabling acro?

I am actually running a small 15g tank as my QT... so in reality.. corals go through my QT.. then usually to the prop system, then to the display ha.

DSC_0104.jpg

This acro? if so.. i wish i could get picture that captures what the coral actually looks like. Its light green with real vibrant red/pink tips.. one of my favorite pieces in the tank for sure.
I got it several years ago and i guess now its a called strawberry fields.

Nice pics, i really like those acros!!

thanks!!

Last edited:
OP
OP
DBarsotti

DBarsotti

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok.. I have been dealing with some BUUUUULLLLcrap in my tank.. people are going to say i'm stupid but the only thing i've changed in my display is my RODI water.. I started using my homemade water and its crap and its been killing my tank, literally.. My house is on a well and we having horrible ground water and i have reason to believe the amount of the organics not being filtered by my RODI are directly effecting the health of my sps.

here is an example of one of my corals RTN'ing
411a0270.jpg

OVer the last few days i've changed my source of water back to what it was and have done 2 larger waterchnages of 20 gallons in the last 3 days. things seem to be stable, not really any better the "bad" has definitely stopped. hopefully tomorrow i'll start seeing improvement.

heres some pictures of one of the large water changes i've done in the last few days.. i did another one tonight.

eb05e92f.jpg

1ffd228b.jpg

8ba7cf2c.jpg

6aef1711.jpg

17a487e8.jpg

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Dang bro sorry to hear! Keep us updated.

john90009

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
try siphoning threw the sand bed to i know when i had an rting event the sand bed even tho was small like an inch thick wasnt helping and was holding some bad bacteria.

dougers31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great thread! Thanks for taking the time to post the videos and pics! Is your coral that was rtn'ing recovering?

OP
OP
DBarsotti

DBarsotti

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dang bro sorry to hear! Keep us updated.

Man I hope you get it all sorted out and back to normal soon!

thanks guys, Looking over the tank the s'morning, it seems things are getting back to normal, colors are looking decent, nothing seems stressed, keeping my fingers crossed.

try siphoning threw the sand bed to i know when i had an rting event the sand bed even tho was small like an inch thick wasnt helping and was holding some bad bacteria.

The sand bed is very new, this tank has only been set up since August. Also, i have a sleeper goby that is pretty much constantly turning over the sand bed. In the near future once everything gets back to normal, i am planning on taking out most the sand, just having a thin layer to cover the bottom glass.

Great thread! Thanks for taking the time to post the videos and pics! Is your coral that was rtn'ing recovering?

Thanks! I lost my tyree setosa (not a big deal i didn't really care for that coral anyway), a mini colony of turaki, and a mini colony of ORA peach digi. I have plenty of back ups in my prop system so i'm not worried about it. I'm just REALLY glad other things haven't been effected.. like my new frag of SOTR:sad:

The apple berry monti shown above, i thought was a goner, but i took out my clippers and just started mowing through the colony right behind where the RTN was happening and since then it hasn't lost anymore tissue.

Last edited:

m and m

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank looks amazing i hope you can get things sorted out.

re-fin-away

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First of allyour tank is amazing. Second I hope you get things back on track. You have a beautiful reef and some insain SPS in there. My biggest fear in starting a SPS tank is having something go wrong. Is there a chance you can get a water company out to your place and set you up with a better source of water? Keep us updated I hope it comes around for you.

OP
OP
DBarsotti

DBarsotti

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank looks amazing i hope you can get things sorted out.

Thanks, me too!

First of allyour tank is amazing. Second I hope you get things back on track. You have a beautiful reef and some insain SPS in there. My biggest fear in starting a SPS tank is having something go wrong. Is there a chance you can get a water company out to your place and set you up with a better source of water? Keep us updated I hope it comes around for you.

thank you! Aside form this recent probelm i feel sps aren't that difficult as long as you keep up on maintenance. Our house is on an old, shallow well, in an area that already has horrible water so i'd either have to install a crazy softener system(better than what we have already) or have them drill us a deeper well.. ha, so since both of those options are fairly pricey i'm just going to have to make the water here at my office in town. We have great pressure here and the water is already treated by the city so i should be able to make some pretty awesome RODI with it.. Plus, at home i was burning through 2 cartridges of DI about every 150 galllons and changing filters every2-4 weeks ha.. So aside from having to transport water home a few times a week, making water at my office should be much less expensive.

OP
OP
DBarsotti

DBarsotti

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My new RO/DI set up..

Pressure is at 65+psi. TDS out of RO is 2-6. through DI = 0

22f100a5.jpg

0fb9a931.jpg

Boss - "Hey dumbbutt, make sure the RODI discharge isn't backfilling into the washer"

me- "It's not!"

Next morning..
eae3fd7c.jpg

me- "oops"

skinz78

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL now that's funny right there... Only because I have been there done that at least 6 times now, my hardwood floor is ruined just outside of my laundry room...

OP
OP
DBarsotti

DBarsotti

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL now that's funny right there... Only because I have been there done that at least 6 times now, my hardwood floor is ruined just outside of my laundry room...

ha yeah i felt like an idiot. oh well. re-plumbed it like this.

7e363fad.jpg

skinz78

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine didn't quite go down like that though, I thought I would do the smart thing and put the waste line directly into my washer to use the waste water for clothes washing... There were several mornings that I was woke up by my daughter saying the laundry room is flooded again.... I'm kinda forgetful.:sad:

I finally just hooked mine up with the Y to my washer this weekend, took me forever to figure out that I could do that instead of hooking it directly to my utility sink faucet..

WhoDey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine didn't quite go down like that though, I thought I would do the smart thing and put the waste line directly into my washer to use the waste water for clothes washing... There were several mornings that I was woke up by my daughter saying the laundry room is flooded again.... I'm kinda forgetful.:sad:

I finally just hooked mine up with the Y to my washer this weekend, took me forever to figure out that I could do that instead of hooking it directly to my utility sink faucet..

Don't worry you are not alone... Once I realized that all I needed was a Y adapter to feed the unit and shove the waste line down the same drain line as the washer... The RO came in from the outside and got mounted in the laundry room. The Mrs was not happy at first but now that she sees I am actually doing water changes now I think she is happy. Its also nice having 60 gallons of fresh salt water on hand at all times too.

IMAG0339-1.jpg

Last edited:

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back