DBarsotti

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really nice build keep us posted.....

Thank you!

I finally got some chromis in the tank on friday. they are doing well but they are REALLY small. Already had to fish 2 out of the sump today as they can fit through the overflow wall.

948376b9.jpg

Ive also got about 10 different species of coral in there now and all of them see to be doing well, REALLY good polyp extension but some have bleached a little but only time will tell if that will continue. I'll try to take some pictures once the lights come on..

(the prop system runs at night to save on heating/cooling/lighting costs.)

OP
OP
DBarsotti

DBarsotti

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this is a crappy video, i've just never seen a chromis graze, its all this little guy does. Anyone have one that does this?

[video=youtube;fsJyx7Uaaow]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsJyx7Uaaow[/video]

OP
OP
DBarsotti

DBarsotti

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some more crappy iphone pictures of the frag tank and tester corals.. color is way off but whatev

7bcc6274.jpg

a579246e.jpg

OP
OP
DBarsotti

DBarsotti

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i like the colored eggcrates... white crapps up and looks like a brittish persons teeth too easily.

Yeah i have had major algae problems with the white egg crate in the past. My buddy kraylen makes awesome frag racks so i copied him and made a few. It would be much easier to just use the black eggcrate but no one around here sells it so i'd have to order it.

OP
OP
DBarsotti

DBarsotti

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been having issues with detritus and some sort of algae associated with it. It's been clogging up my powerheads on a daily basis.. I believe its because of really under skimming the system and not having any way of catching all the crap floating around.. day before yesterday i added filter bags and today my under skimming got solved... I'll be running this now.. along with a ramora for the time being.. since adding the bags and catching all the crap things have been improving it seems.

CHRISTMAS PRESENT!
fd37c254.jpg

And for only running for 24 hours this thing is already starting to pick up some major crrrrraaappp..
9f2d31d2.jpg

I must say... it does look sexy in there...
dbfbfd9d.jpg

Also this weekend.. No more frag tank!
bddc1140.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
DBarsotti

DBarsotti

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Guys!

So whats your key to keeping SPS corals?

Hmmm... The key you say... Stability is the key. i feel everyone is always trying to chase down the next "super awesome crazy way" to achieve good colors and growth with sps and i used to be like that and never really could get the color I wanted... and then one day my friend josh said to me. "You'd be surprised the results you can achieve with stability, water changes and good light." and i thought to myself, wow thats stupid simple, and ever since then thats the method i've stuck with and so far its led me to results that i'm happy with.... Of course that statement is not the whole story but it just points out that you don't need crazy crap to get good results..

I personally make sure these things stay constant in my reef

-Goodlight
-Keep a CLEAN system by NEVER slacking on water changes, running a good carbon source, Skimming and cleaning spots that build up with crap(powerheads,sump,rocks,blahblah blah)
-Good amount of flow
-Keep Ca,Alk, and Mg in line

Anyway, enough of me talking out of my rear.

I took some top down shots the other day with my iphone. The color is WAY off and the stupid phone makes everything blue, but i thought they were good to show the growth

c75ac46b.jpg

eed5c566.jpg

cbdf53c5.jpg

4310bc02.jpg

d4286bcb.jpg

242e7f17.jpg

Last edited:

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 40 47.6%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 19 22.6%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 19 22.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 7.1%
Back