OP
DBarsotti

DBarsotti

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well it was too good to be true that i hadn't had any problems.... came home and turned on the return again to check for leaks and... it seems the line out of the return wasn't screwed on all the way.. I took it off and tightened it and also siliconed it..

Things i learned for future builds.. make your external return pump more accessible and add more ball valves..

leak..
5f5f8554.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
DBarsotti

DBarsotti

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Added 2 bags of live sand today

183206a8.jpg

Mwahahaha!
This skimmer kicks so much butt, this is after like 30 minutes and its already gotten about half up all the crap from the sand out of the water.

306f4690.jpg

OP
OP
DBarsotti

DBarsotti

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my the overflows on the prop system are loud as HECK, but the standard noise reducer thingamajig doesn't fit in the box so i built this...
I have no idea if its going to work as its pretty small...
How long should i wait for the glue to dry before putting it in the tank?
2d600c95.jpg

d5fd153e.jpg

OP
OP
DBarsotti

DBarsotti

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so the silencer works good so far... hopefully i don't come home to a flooded garage..

anyway.... HOW hot should my external return pump get??? I am kinda worried about it.. i cant hold my hand on it for more than 10 seconds

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind is it??? Might wanna put a little fan blowing on it... Just looked at the pic.. It's normal to run warm or a tad hot but not scorching lol...

Last edited:
OP
OP
DBarsotti

DBarsotti

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah it's flipping hot. And I think making a noise, I didn't have time to determine which pump was making the noise while I was home for lunch

OP
OP
DBarsotti

DBarsotti

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok few things.. first off.. those silencers CAN NOT BE TRUSTED...The other night I did a water change on the prop tank and flipped the return back on.. Well, next thing i knew water was pouring over the side of the tank all over unmounted power strips. I ran through the puddle of water like Superman and ripped the plugs out of the wall before it burned up heaters, powerheads and my return.. I was really unhappy about all this.

Anyway.. things are back on track, I have removed the silencers to redesign them..

I added a few frags from my display to the prop tank and they are doing well, although they REALLY dislike the move from my 80 degree display to the 74-75 prop tank without acclimation, ha.
2c80541c.jpg

OP
OP
DBarsotti

DBarsotti

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oh yeah, and heres a bad picture of some crap nuggets.. the only ones i don't try to kill in my stick garden. :xd:

DSC_0695.jpg

OP
OP
DBarsotti

DBarsotti

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Building welded frag racks sucks.. its wayyy too time consuming.. This is only half of what I need for the frag tank and it still needs to be painted..
6bc1490d.jpg

OP
OP
DBarsotti

DBarsotti

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nice frag tank...waiting for pictures:wink:

Thanks, I am planning on building the other side of the rack this weekend. Once its all in there i'll break out the camera and take some decent pictures. Today while i was home for lunch i added about 8 different types of sps to see if all the different species will do well in the new water. i am over looking at all the frags scattered in my display I want to get them into the prop system..:nerd:

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 89 46.4%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 85 44.3%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 18 9.4%
Back