DC pump or Peristaltic pump (Versa / Kamoer) for Feeding Calcium Reactor?

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes they do, at least this guy did

I understand your point, but using the Kamoer is because you can fine tune it, well some DC pumps also have a huge fine tuning, for example those of current USA DC pumps, so at this point I'm trying to find out what should I get, either a high variable output DC pump or a Kamoer/Versa.

Most DC pumps only have like 3 or 4 speed settings, which make them pretty much useless for feeding a calcium reactor, but those from Current USA, you can fine tune very well, pretty much from 0% to 100%

I don't know that I would trust anything by Current USA. Sicce's DC Returns can be tuned from 0-100% and them I trust. But Current USA has pumps rated at 660GPH and others have found them more to be along the lines of 400GPH... Also, in my experience with current products, the control is not as precise as you'd like it to be.

Preyou

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am running a Reef Octo CaRX and I have tried it a couple of different ways. One thing that has not changed in my several configurations is that I am using my Neptune Apex to maintain a pH of 6.5 in the reactor at all times.

I initially installed a small Sicce pump in the sump and forced water from the sump to the reactor. I controlled the affluent output with a small needle valve on the output line. This was extremely inconsistent no matter what I did.

I finally settled on putting a Kamoer FX-STP in line with the affluent and using it to create a lower pressure in the CaRX. In addition to being able to micro-adjust the dosing output, it is easier on the reactor and eliminates the chances of a leak from over-pressuring the vessel. I then can just monitor my Alk uptake and give the Kamoer a click to the positive or to the negative depending on the requirements of the display.

Until I did this, I was really aggravated with the CaRX system and questioned whether to keep it at all.... Now I question whether or not I would continue without it.

OP
OP
E

enb141

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know that I would trust anything by Current USA. Sicce's DC Returns can be tuned from 0-100% and them I trust. But Current USA has pumps rated at 660GPH and others have found them more to be along the lines of 400GPH... Also, in my experience with current products, the control is not as precise as you'd like it to be.

I do have one Current USA rated for 1800 GPH and I only use it for about 40%, yes they can be tune very fine, from 0 to 100%, unless you use their WIFI that only lets you fine tune from 0 to 100 in 10 by 10 steps.

I am running a Reef Octo CaRX and I have tried it a couple of different ways. One thing that has not changed in my several configurations is that I am using my Neptune Apex to maintain a pH of 6.5 in the reactor at all times.

I initially installed a small Sicce pump in the sump and forced water from the sump to the reactor. I controlled the affluent output with a small needle valve on the output line. This was extremely inconsistent no matter what I did.

I finally settled on putting a Kamoer FX-STP in line with the affluent and using it to create a lower pressure in the CaRX. In addition to being able to micro-adjust the dosing output, it is easier on the reactor and eliminates the chances of a leak from over-pressuring the vessel. I then can just monitor my Alk uptake and give the Kamoer a click to the positive or to the negative depending on the requirements of the display.

Until I did this, I was really aggravated with the CaRX system and questioned whether to keep it at all.... Now I question whether or not I would continue without it.

Do you use your Kamoer to push water from your Sump to your Calcium Reactor Chamber? or Do you use your Kamoer to suck water from your Calcium Reactor Chamber?

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trying to fine tune the effluent flow rate of a CaRx with a controllable DC centrifugal pump without using a needle or pinch valve on the effluent line is a fools errand IMO. DC pumps run at a minimum setting of around 25 to 30%. Even if you set it at 5%, it will still be pushing around 30%…. Nowhere near precise enough to dial in your effluent rate. The fact they they claim that you can control flow down to one percent once you go below 30% is laughable IMO.

OP
OP
E

enb141

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trying to fine tune the effluent flow rate of a CaRx with a controllable DC centrifugal pump without using a needle or pinch valve on the effluent line is a fools errand IMO. DC pumps run at a minimum setting of around 25 to 30%. Even if you set it at 5%, it will still be pushing around 30%…. Nowhere near precise enough to dial in your effluent rate. The fact they they claim that you can control flow down to one percent once you go below 30% is laughable IMO.

Still with that information, I've seen some videos over internet that claim that a low stream DC pump is what they use for feeding their calcium reactor chambers. And that's what works better for them (some even had a Kamoer peristaltic pump that replaced with a DC pump instead)

Preyou

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do have one Current USA rated for 1800 GPH and I only use it for about 40%, yes they can be tune very fine, from 0 to 100%, unless you use their WIFI that only lets you fine tune from 0 to 100 in 10 by 10 steps.

you use your Kamoer to push water from your Sump to your Calcium Reactor Chamber? or Do you use your Kamoer to suck water from your Calcium Reactor Chamber?

Do you use your Kamoer to push water from your Sump to your Calcium Reactor Chamber? or Do you use your Kamoer to suck water from your Calcium Reactor Chamber?
I use the Kamoer to pull through the chamber… I do not have any issues with air buildup and the setup gives be extremely granular control of the affluent.

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still with that information, I've seen some videos over internet that claim that a low stream DC pump is what they use for feeding their calcium reactor chambers. And that's what works better for them (some even had a Kamoer peristaltic pump that replaced with a DC pump instead)

It seems as though your heart is set on it. Give it a shot if you’d like and report back with your results. However, there’s a reason no one who has chimed in on this thread has recommended such a method to tune the effluent flow rate of a calcium reactor.

Preyou

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The calcium reactor is probably the single, most expensive modification that can be made to a reef tank. It is super rare for anyone to have an understanding of how much it is really going to cost to set one up properly. There is a tremendous temptation to cut a corner or two to save some money… I know I did. In the end, I spent more money going back and replacing the corners I cut with the equipment I should have installed in the first place.

in the end, the only thing I saved a few bucks on was my CO2 regulator. I ended up with a Tunze and not the Carbon Doser I was originally looking to purchase.

I just don’t see how I could get a DC pump to only push one drop of effluent every second reliably.

‘When I was running the small Sicce pump with the needle valve on the output, I was constantly having to check on it to see what my drip rate was… it just was never the same. I saw where someone recommended a fuel filter ahead if the needle valve. This filter would still slow down over time changing the rate….

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My carx is very simple.
I modified a Skimz 6" media reactor into a carx.
I ran a Tunze 3171 carx prior.
I run a Tunze pump and made a manifold to run it like Tunze runs their carx.
It pulls water with the Tunze pump and a screw type pinch valve controls the effluent.
Super simple. No ph probe or controller.
The effluent can vary a bit I have no trouble keeping dkh stable.
I run a 2 stage regulator and co2 never varies. They are very accurate.

OP
OP
E

enb141

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems as though your heart is set on it. Give it a shot if you’d like and report back with your results. However, there’s a reason no one who has chimed in on this thread has recommended such a method to tune the effluent flow rate of a calcium reactor.

I'm not saying that I was already set to use a DC pump, basically I'm trying to gather as much information so I can decide if going DC pump or getting something like the Kamoer will be better for my needs.

Here are one video of one guy claiming that using a DC pump is the way to go (for him)

Preyou

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I watched that video and frankly I was shocked. Now keep in mind, his affluent alkalinity will be significantly lower than mine because I run a pH of 6.5 in my reactor; but he is dosing 3.2 gallons of affluent per hour. I am only dosing a microfraction of that amount. I am dosing in the range of 5ml/min. If my math is correct, this is down around .08gph. Needless to say, my setup is not very taxing on the Kamoer FX-STP pump as it is a continuous duty pump, but I can see why the guy in this video discontinued use. That volume would simply punish that pump.

Now all of this leaves a couple of very important questions in my mind. How big of a display are we dosing and what is the rating of the CaRX in relation to that volume. The higher the rating of the reactor, the less you should need to dose from the reactor at the ideal pH (inside of the reactor) to maintain your ALK at a given level. The ideal pH in a reactor depends on the media you are using. I use 2 Little Fishies Reborn with a magnesium supplement and I have no issues with burning up my media. In fact, I just topped off my media for the first time after nearly a year and have no sludge buildup in the reactor.

Back to the video, the poster stated that he had to raise the pH in his reactor to 6.9 to avoid overdosing his display with ALK. This is skating the ragged edge of the pH range in my opinion and with the natural drift over time in your pH probe, you may end up with the CO2 no longer melting the media. If you do not test quite regularly, this could end up in situation where your ALK crashes simply because the reactor is no longer melting the media at all. Depending on how quickly your display consumes ALK, this could happen very quickly.

There are a couple of different schools on how to set up a reactor and this video shows the differences.

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah, the steady stream method. I used to see and post those videos in CaRx discussions as well. Back when I was researching how to operate a CaRx and had no first hand experience with one. Then I learned how to properly tune a CaRx without having to rely on a pH probe and controller.

There‘s a well known member here, @jda who has a great write up in his signature that goes through the fundamentals of how to properly tune a CaRx.

Here is his write up.

It’s been an invaluable resource for many on this discussion board, who want to learn how to properly tune a CaRx.

plankton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I pull water through my CaRX with kamoer SFTP 2 then through 2nd stage then to sump. Appears to work fine and can control precise rate of flow.

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
I’m new to this do you have a pic.
I pull water through my CaRX with kamoer SFTP 2 then through 2nd stage then to sump. Appears to work fine and can control precise rate of fl

plankton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Barely set up my carx tonight

I pretty much did this. I used kamoer sftp 2 to pull water through reactor instead of pump to push and instead of CaRX fluid going directly to sump I run through secondary stage with small size calcium carbonate media (enter bottom, out top) then to sump. I don’t tap into skimmer because I have swabbie that cleans neck and not easy to drip down reactor so just into sump. I do dose kalkwasser to try to even out pH and I run soda air recirculating also.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 37 30.1%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 33 26.8%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 44 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.1%
Back