Dc pump to replace cor 20

Biglew11

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My cor 20 just bit the dust. I'm Looking for a new controllable dc pump to replace it that is not a cor15 or cor20. I have my old mag 9.5 running in its place right now, so there is something to be said for old reliable.

reefbandit

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just order a couple jebao’s and call it good. Don’t waste any money on red dragon or abyzz. You can replace your jebao once a year for the cost of abyzz and you should get more than a year out of a jebao.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Biglew11

Biglew11

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are having a heat problem, make sure the controller is outside of the stand.
I have 2 RD3's and last winter moved both controllers inside my stand.
This summer when it started getting hot outside ( warmer inside) I noticed my tank temp was suddenly hanging around 80-81. I was puzzled because I have not had a heat problem since I went led.
Then I figured it out. The controllers themselves are the heat sink for the pumps.
I moved the controllers back outside the cabinet and the temp dropped to 77-78.
While 40 watts of heat isn't much, every little bit helps.
My mag 9.5 was drawing about 100 watts the cor 20 drew about 50 where I had it set. All controllers are outside tank.

I was really just saying that with the red dragon I'm putting 60 watts less heat into the water than with my 9.5. That's 60 watts I no longer need to try and cool off.

Upvote 0

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
My mag 9.5 was drawing about 100 watts the cor 20 drew about 50 where I had it set. All controllers are outside tank.

I was really just saying that with the red dragon I'm putting 60 watts less heat into the water than with my 9.5. That's 60 watts I no longer need to try and cool off.
Understood.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Biglew11

Biglew11

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just order a couple jebao’s and call it good. Don’t waste any money on red dragon or abyzz. You can replace your jebao once a year for the cost of abyzz and you should get more than a year out of a jebao.
I absolutely hate throwing things away when replacement parts should be available to repair them. I'd rather pay a little bit more to be able to repair something than to have to keep buying the same thing over and over. One of the things I hate about todays throwaway culture. No body wants to repair anything.

Upvote 0

reefbandit

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I absolutely hate throwing things away when replacement parts should be available to repair them. I'd rather pay a little bit more to be able to repair something than to have to keep buying the same thing over and over. One of the things I hate about todays throwaway culture. No body wants to repair anything.
I tend to agree, however, a 2200gph Abyzz pump is about $1700 where the equivalent Jebao is $130.

The Jebao will hold up for more than a year with regular cleaning probably more like 3-5 years. You could purchase enough Jebaos to most likely outlast your tank for less than 1 Abyzz. It just doesn't add up to me. Not to mention if you want a backup Abyzz if your main one goes down You will be out nearly $3500 I think that is more than a little bit more.

Whatever makes sense to you, but I'd be saving my money as I don't see any value in the Abyzz.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Biglew11

Biglew11

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tend to agree, however, a 2200gph Abyzz pump is about $1700 where the equivalent Jebao is $130.

The Jebao will hold up for more than a year with regular cleaning probably more like 3-5 years. You could purchase enough Jebaos to most likely outlast your tank for less than 1 Abyzz. It just doesn't add up to me. Not to mention if you want a backup Abyzz if your main one goes down You will be out nearly $3500 I think that is more than a little bit more.

Whatever makes sense to you, but I'd be saving my money as I don't see any value in the Abyzz.
I'd agree with you on the price point of the highest end stuff. Just doesn't make sense to pay that much. However the upper middle isn't a bad place to start.

I found a good deal on a red dragon 50 watt pump for $330 shipped, that fit exactly what I was looking for.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 80 55.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.0%
Back