Dc pump to replace cor 20

Biglew11

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My cor 20 just bit the dust. I'm Looking for a new controllable dc pump to replace it that is not a cor15 or cor20. I have my old mag 9.5 running in its place right now, so there is something to be said for old reliable.

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Current usa eflux

Upvote 0

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My cor 20 just bit the dust. I'm Looking for a new controllable dc pump to replace it that is not a cor15 or cor20. I have my old mag 9.5 running in its place right now, so there is something to be said for old reliable.

Is it the driver or body? Both? Sorry to hear.

What is your price range?
What size display?
Any display upgrade?
Manifold?
Warranty consideration?
Controller?
Integration?

There are a lot of pumps that work across various price ranges. I will say that I'm looking to consolidate return pumps (I run 2 for redundancy) and now considering the Red Dragon. Yes, it is expensive. On the other hand I calculated the cost of the pump over the duration of the warranty and it seems to be a pretty decent return. Same is true as the Abyzz if I'm being honest.

If nothing else don't let the price be the final judgement. Look at the bigger picture to see how it may work for you both short and long term.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Biglew11

Biglew11

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it the driver or body? Both? Sorry to hear.

What is your price range?
What size display?
Any display upgrade?
Manifold?
Warranty consideration?
Controller?
Integration?

There are a lot of pumps that work across various price ranges. I will say that I'm looking to consolidate return pumps (I run 2 for redundancy) and now considering the Red Dragon. Yes, it is expensive. On the other hand I calculated the cost of the pump over the duration of the warranty and it seems to be a pretty decent return. Same is true as the Abyzz if I'm being honest.

If nothing else don't let the price be the final judgement. Look at the bigger picture to see how it may work for you both short and long term.

It's the pump body. Swelled magnets causing an over-current alarm. 75 gallon mixed reef the cor 20 was somewhat overkill but it was nice to have the controllability from apex. Small manifold running biopellet reactor and activated carbon.

I'm not looking to spend a small fortune but willing to spend for a suitable replacement. Apex controllable, Either 0-10v or directly.

Upvote 0

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's the pump body. Swelled magnets causing an over-current alarm. 75 gallon mixed reef the cor 20 was somewhat overkill but it was nice to have the controllability from apex. Small manifold running biopellet reactor and activated carbon.

I'm not looking to spend a small fortune but willing to spend for a suitable replacement. Apex controllable, Either 0-10v or directly.

Small fortune - totally get it :)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Biglew11

Biglew11

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the price of the red dragons is a little high but I may just bite. Looking at their site the fact that you can get any single piece that may fail or loose also has its benefits.

I don't need the highest end stuff, but I'm willing to pay a little more to get something that will be reliable and has that track record.

I think I'm leaning towards this one

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/red-...50-watt-1-321-gph-royal-exclusiv-usa-llc.html

Upvote 0

ZombieEngineer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you contact Neptune Support about it? They very often honor warranty issues long after the warranty period. Even if it's well out of warranty, they often will still sell you a replacement for like half price.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Biglew11

Biglew11

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you contact Neptune Support about it? They very often honor warranty issues long after the warranty period. Even if it's well out of warranty, they often will still sell you a replacement for like half price.
I did not contact neptune for this. I do see they have the block available but currently out of stock. I never did like this pump right from the start. Cleaning it was always a pain in the you know what. I could have the 4 screws on the volute finger tight and it would bind the impeller. I'm stepping away from neptune return pumps.

Upvote 0

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the price of the red dragons is a little high but I may just bite. Looking at their site the fact that you can get any single piece that may fail or loose also has its benefits.

I don't need the highest end stuff, but I'm willing to pay a little more to get something that will be reliable and has that track record.

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/red-...50-watt-1-321-gph-royal-exclusiv-usa-llc.html

I personally use red dragons in my 300 and frag tank, like you mentioned parts are available and I’ve had nothing but too notch support when needed from RE.

Upvote 0

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0

On a lower budget, I would suggest a Vectra M2, but if you are considering a Red Dragon, go for it. I'm glad I did.
I use 2 RD3's. A 100 watt version for my return and a 150 watt version on my closed loop.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Kris4647

Rare Clownfish anemone aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last year these got a lotta run online so I bought one. Worked really well, pretty quiet. Mid-low range budget wise.

I had Abyzz red dragons on my larger tanks, they are the best on the market. I’m just not sure about spending that much on a pump. I mean nothing grows better with a diff pump. (don’t get me wrong I love equipment as much as y’all lol)

Now skimmers maybe.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Biglew11

Biglew11

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m just not sure about spending that much on a pump. I mean nothing grows better with a diff pump. (don’t get me wrong I love equipment as much as y’all lol)
True, nothing grows better with a more expensive pump. but if I have to worry about a pump starting back up or not when I turn it down or off for feeding or a power outage. Then paying a little bit more for piece of mind may be worth it.

I had my mag 9.5 online for about 3 or 4 years when I replaced it with the cor 20, nothing wrong with it. It's back in operation as main return pump for now.

Upvote 0

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sicce SDC 100%. 5 year warranty from one of the best companies out there.

But it looks like you found a good deal on a Red Dragon already

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Biglew11

Biglew11

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally installed the red dragon pump. Had to get a few pieces of pvc to connect it to main plumbing.

Hasn't been on line long enough to notice a temperature difference in the tank yet. But it's drawing about 60 watts less power, that's not going into the tank. I have it running about 40 watts on the controller and it's enough for the tank and the small manifold. And there's still a little head room if needed.

Upvote 0

Gatorpa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Current usa eflux
I have a smaller version. works great

Upvote 0

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Finally installed the red dragon pump. Had to get a few pieces of pvc to connect it to main plumbing.

Hasn't been on line long enough to notice a temperature difference in the tank yet. But it's drawing about 60 watts less power, that's not going into the tank. I have it running about 40 watts on the controller and it's enough for the tank and the small manifold. And there's still a little head room if needed.
If you are having a heat problem, make sure the controller is outside of the stand.
I have 2 RD3's and last winter moved both controllers inside my stand.
This summer when it started getting hot outside ( warmer inside) I noticed my tank temp was suddenly hanging around 80-81. I was puzzled because I have not had a heat problem since I went led.
Then I figured it out. The controllers themselves are the heat sink for the pumps.
I moved the controllers back outside the cabinet and the temp dropped to 77-78.
While 40 watts of heat isn't much, every little bit helps.

Upvote 0

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 60 33.1%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.8%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back