DC Pumps: Ecotech vs. Royal Exclusiv vs. Abyzz

gcarroll

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really wish someone would bench test these pumps under normal aquarium applications so we can accurately compare them.

OP
OP
NeverlosT

NeverlosT

SPS nut
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can understand EcoTech resistance to accommodate Apex integration (bummer, yes, but I can understand the business decision). That being said, I think EcoTech built some solid control into the pump, and I dont see a ton of need to control the pump on a regular basis other than if one reduces flow to feed (it can handle that) or if you want some sort of programmed closed loop flow (it can handle that).

I guess I dont know what else I would to with it if I had it controlled by my Apex that I couldn't already (I already have a flood switch that kills the pump power which is run by my Apex, and that is an emergency control and ideally never actuated).

Do the Abyzz and the RD3 accept Apex control?

gcarroll

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can understand EcoTech resistance to accommodate Apex integration (bummer, yes, but I can understand the business decision). That being said, I think EcoTech built some solid control into the pump, and I dont see a ton of need to control the pump on a regular basis other than if one reduces flow to feed (it can handle that) or if you want some sort of programmed closed loop flow (it can handle that).

I guess I dont know what else I would to with it if I had it controlled by my Apex that I couldn't already (I already have a flood switch that kills the pump power which is run by my Apex, and that is an emergency control and ideally never actuated).

Do the Abyzz and the RD3 accept Apex control?
RD3 already does and Abyzz is currently being tested by Neptune Systems now. Terrence of Neptune Systems has an Abyzz A400 on his personal system currently.

Bdog4u2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive had the m1 since December and i have no complaints its the quietest machine on my tank it moves plenty of water for my 150 gallon and with the phone app i can put it in feed mode while at work so the wifey can feed the fish

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Bumping this thread!

TaylorPilot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea, has anyone decided to pony up the dough to get us a good testing system. I would be really interested to compare some of the more popular pumps (dc and ac) for flow, heat output, noise and power draw at different head pressures.

s2nhle

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same here. I am about to get the m1. any review on it will be greatly appreciated.

gcarroll

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea, has anyone decided to pony up the dough to get us a good testing system. I would be really interested to compare some of the more popular pumps (dc and ac) for flow, heat output, noise and power draw at different head pressures.
I know Bill Wann has tested the Abyzz and the RD3. I wanted to do a test but the hardest part is getting the pumps. People don't just have them lying around and the you got to hook them all up with their different fittings. A real PIA!

TaylorPilot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know Bill Wann has tested the Abyzz and the RD3. I wanted to do a test but the hardest part is getting the pumps. People don't just have them lying around and the you got to hook them all up with their different fittings. A real PIA!

What type of equipment would you need to be able to test. I am assuming a DB meter, a pressure gauge (to simulate back pressure), a large gate valve to simulate back pressure, a flow meter, a current meter (power draw) and a lab grade temp gauge to measure temp change of the water. The flow meter would be the hardest thing for me to source because I don't know anything about them.

Breadman03

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are dB meter apps for phones that are free and supposedly accurate. Mine seems to be pretty consistent, so while it may not give a precise result, I fell it is good for comparisons. One would also need to plumb in such a way as to eliminate plumbing as a major variable. Perhaps use 2" or 2.5" plumbing to a union where it could be necked down to whatever each pump needs.

TaylorPilot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea, that is what I would do is 2" plumbing with only 2 45 degree bends to get it out the top and back into the tank. Make an adjustable height base, so you can line it up directly with the intake coming out of the tank. Put a gate valve right before it goes back into the tank with a low pressure 15-30 PSI gauge in front of it to simulate head pressure (14.7 PSI equals 34 feet of head pressure in fresh water). So a 15 PSI gauge would give you best accuracy and would allow you to do anything up to 34 feet of head pressure. The problem is the flow meters I have seen. They are usually good from 1 GPH to over 10,000 GPH, but they are only accurate to +-2-3%. I would assume that their deviation was calculated across the entire range based off max, so at 3% you are looking at a deviation 600 GPH! Useless for our application. May have to get different flow meters for different flow rates. Like I said, I don't know anything about them. LOL

gcarroll

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the easiest test would be a flow meter on a pipe with 5' of head and 3 - 90 degree elbows. I feel that would accurately simulate the average tank scenario. That way you could see how most pumps perform under realistic conditions.

TaylorPilot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea, only problem is it wouldn't know how much head pressure you were creating. I guess if you put a pressure gauge right at the pump outlet you could get it, but you wouldn't be able to adjust it any for low pressure, or high pressure pumps, or to test them at different levels of head. Say someone was looking for a basement pump. We could test all the high pressure pumps on the market to see who gave the best numbers at around 15', or closed loop pumps at little to no head, or like you were talking about, normal return pumps operating at 4-6' of head. I would just want the system to be able to adjust to any type of pump and be able to evaluate at different configurations.

gcarroll

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea, only problem is it wouldn't know how much head pressure you were creating. I guess if you put a pressure gauge right at the pump outlet you could get it, but you wouldn't be able to adjust it any for low pressure, or high pressure pumps, or to test them at different levels of head. Say someone was looking for a basement pump. We could test all the high pressure pumps on the market to see who gave the best numbers at around 15', or closed loop pumps at little to no head, or like you were talking about, normal return pumps operating at 4-6' of head. I would just want the system to be able to adjust to any type of pump and be able to evaluate at different configurations.
The way you describe it the proper way to do it! Keep in mind that very few DC pumps are suitable in high head applications other than Abyzz.

TheRealDmorty217

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just purchased the Royal Exclusiv RD3 230w for my return on my tank and all I can say is WOW! Can't even tell the pump is on and there is zero heat coming off the pump! Customer service was also amazing, Scott and Marco are awesome to deal with! Thinking about ditching my vectra and getting the RD3 150w for my closed loop

OP
OP
NeverlosT

NeverlosT

SPS nut
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would definitely be interested in a real comparison of these pumps (as most of us are just comparing our experiences with one or maybe two of the units).

My feeling though is that our general theory will be proven correct. The Vectra is great for the money, the abyzz is super powerful/quiet but very spendy, and the RD3's are kind of in the middle of the other two but great quality. I think support-wise you cant really go wrong with any of these three.

Do any of the large companies like marinedepot or aquariumspecialty sell all of these? They might be the best ones to lobby for a comparison (since they would have them all) or maybe they could just sponsor a comparison with loaner pumps if one of you folks has the time and resources for the test?

TheRealDmorty217

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would definitely be interested in a real comparison of these pumps (as most of us are just comparing our experiences with one or maybe two of the units).

My feeling though is that our general theory will be proven correct. The Vectra is great for the money, the abyzz is super powerful/quiet but very spendy, and the RD3's are kind of in the middle of the other two but great quality. I think support-wise you cant really go wrong with any of these three.

Do any of the large companies like marinedepot or aquariumspecialty sell all of these? They might be the best ones to lobby for a comparison (since they would have them all) or maybe they could just sponsor a comparison with loaner pumps if one of you folks has the time and resources for the test?

Premium aquatics carries all three

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 35.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 36 30.0%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back