DC pumps for a Waterbox Peninsula Mini 25

Harold999

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so I've learned the Mightyjet return pump sold at BRS or Innovative Marine fits. It's a great choice for the Waterbox Peninsula Mini 25G in relation to this thread. Only problem is it's only available in America and they don't ship anywhere. I would assume Mightyjet is better quality than the Jebao DCS 1200. But the Jebao is like half the price and has a similar flow controller. Except you would need to trim the Jebao down to fit.
I've been running a dead silent Aquaone 750L/ph pump just to suffice for now because the OG pump was just too loud. My tank's at my bedside and it drove me nuts. I use a Sicce voyager 2 to keep good flow.
The Jebao DCS 1200 would be my pump choice. Although before stumbling onto this thread, I had been thinking for a long while about buying and adding a whole canister filter, taking the crap out of it, fill it with bio-media and use black tubing to pull water from the bottom of the return part of the sump and attach the flow part of the tube to that duckbill water spreader it comes with. Then it's basically your standard return pump while simultaneously adding more water volume and housing more beneficial bacteria increasing the overall stability of the Nano tank. I wanted to do this on top of building a refugium with an AC110 Aquaclear HOB Filter to house Chaeto and Copepods. You could call me an equipment junkie but I just want a nice diverse developed stable tank.
DCS1200 is noisy as f, i ditched it. Most quiet pump that fits in the WB mini P is the Aqua Medic DC Runner 1.3.
It's REALLY quiet.

reefsaver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DCS1200 is noisy as f, i ditched it. Most quiet pump that fits in the WB mini P is the Aqua Medic DC Runner 1.3.
It's REALLY quiet.
Thank you Harold, I wouldn't consider the DCS now. Thanks to this thread, I think I'll just get a UV canister filter with an adjustable flow. That way I can locate it out of earshot, add more water volume and have more control over flow. I'll probably remove everything inside the canister because they're nutrient factories and fill it with marine pure brick or similar.

reefsaver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I went to my LFS today and my most trusted Staffer said it's probably a bad idea to use a canister filter as a return like I had planned. He said he's done it before, and I would need to clean the canister on a weekly basis even if it were empty of filters and media otherwise it would serve as a nutrient factory.

Harold I think that AquaMedic 1.3 is the best, most widely available quality silent DC controllable pump there is. There's probably no better return pump for the WB 25 Mini. Thank you for the post man. It's nice to have something excellent to fall back on. God dang they're expensive though. $259 for a return is whew, next level. I've been trying to save $500 for an RODI foreveeer.
1633429420031.png

reefsaver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I upgraded the dang giant Sicce Voyager 2 to a nice aesthetic Ecotech MP10. Maybe a little overkill but the Bulk Reef Supply YouTube Gospel states that flow is more important than lighting which is why I'm back to this thread.

So after buying the MP10, downloading the app and having a look at their Radeon XR30 G5's, Vectra Return pump's and Versa Doser's. I noticed the Vectra Return Pumps can be set up to be run externally. Unfortunately of course however we Waterbox 25 owners run into another equipment issue if you want to go full Ecotech on equipment and that is the discontinued Vectra S1..
It doesn't really matter because you can dial the S2's way down, I have seen people running the M2 on 30G or 120L's, I personally see the benefit because you can always repurpose your equipment. So we Waterbox users would have to get the Vectra S2, maybe hide it somewhere quiet and plumb the inflow externally to the base of the sump where your return is sitting now, and then plumb the outflow to your standard outflow or random flow generator, also pictured. A good thing I recently learned is you should add 10 to 15 times the volume of your tank in flow rate and the S2 is highly controllable. So yeah this is my plan. Maybe a little overkill. But like I said the equipment can be repurposed, and the tunability and high quality of engineering make it worth the money. 1636859746802.png
1636860773610.png

Last edited:

SPlums

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's REALLY quiet.

Hey Harold, may I ask how you connected the outlet of the pump to the pipe that comes with the WB? The pump has a lot bigger connection than the pipe?

Thank you.

Harold999

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Harold, may I ask how you connected the outlet of the pump to the pipe that comes with the WB? The pump has a lot bigger connection than the pipe?

Thank you.
I had a outlet laying around of an unused Jebao pump which fitted on the Aqua Medic.

Airness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it doesn’t come with a hose adapter, looks like I’ll have to hunt down those adaptors!! Thanks for your swift response :)
Hi, did you find any adaptor you can recommend. Also got the DC Runner 1.3, and struggling to connect it.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 33.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 22.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back