Dead bacteria?

ReefGeezer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted to do a clown pair first. Safe to do so? Almost 5 weeks. I said I'd be patient but I'm getting antsy lol
While I'd prefer something a little less aggressive, like a couple of Pajama Cardinals, a couple of Percula Clowns would be fine. They are hearty and don't get too aggressive toward new fish. Other clowns are just too aggressive to be the first fish in the tank. Once you have added the Clowns, don't add more fish though until you verify that ammonia stays down for a couple of weeks. Feed them frozen Brine Shrimp. Just a few shrimp each per day for the first few days, then ramp up feeding slowly.

OP
OP
B

BuddyBonButt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I'd prefer something a little less aggressive, like a couple of Pajama Cardinals, a couple of Percula Clowns would be fine. They are hearty and don't get too aggressive toward new fish. Other clowns are just too aggressive to be the first fish in the tank. Once you have added the Clowns, don't add more fish though until you verify that ammonia stays down for a couple of weeks. Feed them frozen Brine Shrimp. Just a few shrimp each per day for the first few days, then ramp up feeding slowly.
I have a set stock for fish. I want:

2 ocellaris
1 foxface (larger species)
1 flame hawkfish
1 sand sifting goby
1 snowflake eel

So it's either one of them or none. What eould you recommend?

ReefGeezer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a set stock for fish. I want:

2 ocellaris
1 foxface (larger species)
1 flame hawkfish
1 sand sifting goby
1 snowflake eel

So it's either one of them or none. What eould you recommend?
The Ocellaris is also called a False Percula. I call them both Percula. I would start with 2 of them. FYI: You have room for a lot more fish than are on your stock list.

OP
OP
B

BuddyBonButt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Ocellaris is also called a False Percula. I call them both Percula. I would start with 2 of them. FYI: You have room for a lot more fish than are on your stock list.
Yeah I know. Oddly enough I don't like heavily stocked tanks. But maybe in the future I'll do more. Take a look at my list. It's all my notes but my stocking choice will be the first slide.

Thanks for all the help

Edit: ignore the dottyback. I was on the fence and replaced it with the goby. Might still get It in the future though

ReefGeezer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I know. Oddly enough I don't like heavily stocked tanks. But maybe in the future I'll do more. Take a look at my list. It's all my notes but my stocking choice will be the first slide.

Thanks for all the help

Edit: ignore the dottyback. I was on the fence and replaced it with the goby. Might still get It in the future though

Nice plan. Be advised though, Budgets and reef tanks do go together. Welcome to the money pit. The Flame Hawk and the Cleaner Shrimp might not work. At least add the Cleaner Shrimp before the Flame Hawk. Dottybacks are mean little buggers.

Yea, we're all different. I like a lot of fish. In my 90 right now are: 3 Lyretail Anthias (3-3.5"), a Melonurus Wrass (4"), 3 Pajama Cardinals (2"+), a Candy Stripped Hogfish (4"+), 2 Sapphire Damsels, (1"), a big Percula (Ocellaris) Clown (2"), a Lubbock's Wrasse, (2"), and 2 Bar Gobies (1.75"). I think I have room for 2 or 3 more decent sized fish. I'm in the process of getting the "Finance Department" prepared for an order of a quarantined Copperband Butterfly and a Blue Tang, both in the 4" range.

OP
OP
B

BuddyBonButt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice plan. Be advised though, Budgets and reef tanks do go together. Welcome to the money pit. The Flame Hawk and the Cleaner Shrimp might not work. At least add the Cleaner Shrimp before the Flame Hawk. Dottybacks are mean little buggers.

Yea, we're all different. I like a lot of fish. In my 90 right now are: 3 Lyretail Anthias (3-3.5"), a Melonurus Wrass (4"), 3 Pajama Cardinals (2"+), a Candy Stripped Hogfish (4"+), 2 Sapphire Damsels, (1"), a big Percula (Ocellaris) Clown (2"), a Lubbock's Wrasse, (2"), and 2 Bar Gobies (1.75"). I think I have room for 2 or 3 more decent sized fish. I'm in the process of getting the "Finance Department" prepared for an order of a quarantined Copperband Butterfly and a Blue Tang, both in the 4" range.
dang I'd love a copperhead. But I don't feel like killing it lol. Yeah idk if you caught it but I decided against the dottybacks and went with the goby.

I planned to do the eel Last and hawk second to last. Allowing everything to settle in before they are introduced. I plan to feed frozen shrimp to the eel

ReefGeezer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, they are difficult. I'm hoping that buying one that has been quarantined, not already starving to death, and already eating aquarium fare will make it work. I love Copperbands, and they eat Aiptasia so it's a worker fish. Good luck with your tank.

OP
OP
B

BuddyBonButt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, they are difficult. I'm hoping that buying one that has been quarantined, not already starving to death, and already eating aquarium fare will make it work. I love Copperbands, and they eat Aiptasia so it's a worker fish. Good luck with your tank.
My lfs has one that's been eating pretty well. I come in during feedings a lot and that thing tears through the mysis. It's like seeing a leprechaun or unicorn or a leprechaunaunicorn. I think its only a few weeks old. Not sure.

It's so tempting to buy it but I know that it can have a drastic mood change during a switch and I'd probably kill it. Good luck on finding one

ReefGeezer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My lfs has one that's been eating pretty well. I come in during feedings a lot and that thing tears through the mysis. It's like seeing a leprechaun or unicorn or a leprechaunaunicorn. I think its only a few weeks old. Not sure.

It's so tempting to buy it but I know that it can have a drastic mood change during a switch and I'd probably kill it. Good luck on finding one
Make sure it is really eating them, not just mouthing them then spitting them out. Your tank probably isn't ready yet though.

OP
OP
B

BuddyBonButt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure it is really eating them, not just mouthing them then spitting them out. Your tank probably isn't ready yet though.
Oh no not a chance. Too risky for me to buy one. But I go there just watch the feedings. It does eat it. It runs behind this false wall they have and I watch it for too long.. they don't get them often so when a "rare" or "uncommon" fish comes along I watch it as much as I can before someone sees it and snags it.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 54 34.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 29.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.5%
Back