Dead Carpet Anenomie! OMG

MarsWulf5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 120G DT. I recently added a carpet anenomie and I found him dead this morning. He was a little droopy at night - but he has always sprung back.

My water parameters were fine yesterday - about to test again in a couple hours once the carbon has run a while.

I also have a long tentacle anenomie in there doing just fine.

I have 2 Kessil a360x set in acclamation mode, I am running carbon and GFO now to get any toxins from him out of the water.

Water is good (or was good), lighting is excellent, everything else in the tank looks great.

Any ideas on what went wrong so fast?
He was a new Anenomie - I quarantined him only one day. He didnt like the coral QT - so I put him in the DT right away.

He seemed to be doing OK. Would droop but then firm up - and bask in the light.

Neither of my anenomies will (would) take food. Gonna try giving the long tentacle krill today.

I'm really worried about toxins in the water! Or killing another Anenomie.

He looked fantastic at the LFS. I on my had him 5 days... What a bummer - and totally risked crashing my entire system.

I need some advice. Should I forget about anenomies in my reef tank for this reason? I'm very upset - as this could have been - could still be - catastrophic.

Any ideas? I'm at a complete loss. If the Anenomie was sick when I bought it, I dont think so - he looked good or I woulsnt have our purchased him. Neither of them will take food - so I figured he wasnt hungry - didnt eat anything bad.

Have 3 black and whit clown in there, a blue tang, and a neon dottyback... Not a lot of fish for a 120 G. And all my corals are 3" and under... LPS, some SPS, but nothing acting very aggresive...

I'm at a complete loss. Any ideas?
Things just dont die. Something is wrong - but I cant figure what.

Thanks.

MattR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lets see photos of the anemone, before and after and what you are describing. People can help you!

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like it may have needed a Cipro treatment. @OrionN would be my go to for advice on this.

Roosterjack

Struttin’ and Cluckin’
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear about your loss. Anemones for me have always gone one of three ways.

Live forever and through anything (RBTA and Tube)
Die suddenly and for no apparent reason (sebae)
Commit suicide via power head (Long tentacle)

They are complex creatures, and keeping them seems as much art as science.

OP
OP
MarsWulf5

MarsWulf5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I've been watching the tank... And everything else seems fine. Still running carbon just in case. I read a lot about how toxic theae can be when they die. I must have gotten it out it time. It perked up around midnight but was a shrived slimy ball the morning. I took it out immediately with a net... And man it really fouled the net up. Was so bad that I had to wash it with soap. I think any longer or without carbon going I would have been in a lot more trouble. It was nasty... Really fast.

OP
OP
MarsWulf5

MarsWulf5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just for the record - I dont recommend these and I wont try another one. They are really pretty - but not worth it if they go tumbleing through the tank and sting everything or if they get this foul when they die.

I have a long tentacle in there that stays put in the sand. I'm gonna keep a close eye on him... I mean they really make a foul mess when they die. Nope. No Thank you Mr. Carpet Anenomie. RIP.

Back