Dead chaeto? Green slime

Pilot_rue

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 28, 2019
Messages
24
Reaction score
11
Location
Frisco
What state or country do you live in
Texas
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
howdy from Texas
I am having trouble growing chaeto in the sump on my 126 gallon tank. It is well established tank with 9 small-med fish and one med-large trigger and is just at 1 year old. As I try to add chaeto it last about two weeks then turns into a green slime. Causing the water to start fogging. I even tried using brightwell chaeto grow.
but yet I am growing it like weeds in my 50 gallon mix reef tank.

current water conditions on the 126
temp 78
PH 8.23
ammonia 0-.25
nitrite 0
nitrate 5
phosphate 4.0. (yes this is bad )
carbo hardness 9
calcium 440

any suggestion?
 
howdy from Texas
I am having trouble growing chaeto in the sump on my 126 gallon tank. It is well established tank with 9 small-med fish and one med-large trigger and is just at 1 year old. As I try to add chaeto it last about two weeks then turns into a green slime. Causing the water to start fogging. I even tried using brightwell chaeto grow.
but yet I am growing it like weeds in my 50 gallon mix reef tank.

current water conditions on the 126
temp 78
PH 8.23
ammonia 0-.25
nitrite 0
nitrate 5
phosphate 4.0. (yes this is bad )
carbo hardness 9
calcium 440

any suggestion?
What kind of lighting are you using? ~Shaun K.
 
Have you used Vibrant recently? My Chaeto turns to slime if I add it back too soon after using it. It takes up to 2 months until I can add it back in to the system.
 
i have not but that is good to know. Is that with or with out water change?
Have you used Vibrant recently? My Chaeto turns to slime if I add it back too soon after using it. It takes up to 2 months until I can add it back in to the system.
 
i have not but that is good to know. Is that with or with out water change?
Thats with a 10% water change every two weeks. I move my Chaeto to a bucket in the garage with a cheap grow light above it and feed it a little skimmer waste. A month or two after I end Vibrant it get moved back. If I move it back too early it disintigrates.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 4 13.8%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 13 44.8%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 3 10.3%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 3.4%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 2 6.9%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 4 13.8%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 2 6.9%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new