Dead EB8?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

radiata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of my EB8s seems to have passed away. Fusion indicates the outlets are fine, but all 8 are powerless. Pushing the circuit breaker button to restart it does nothing. Plugging the EB8 itself into a different outlet does nothing. The EB8's green light in on, but I don't think that is relevant. It is many years old, so any warranty has long expired.

Is it time for Last Rites? Anyone have any thoughts on resuscitation? Anyone have any experience having one repaired, and on the cost of a repair? Anyone care to preform an autopsy?

I have a spare EB4, so I can scrape by for now...

Thanks in advance for any insights!

OP
OP
radiata

radiata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ocelaris - Thank you for the link. Unfortunely I'm an en electrical nit-wit, so I won't be attempting any resuscitation on my own. Interestingly enough, the thread did mention that triacs fail either "off" or "on", but this was not my experience. When I first noticed the problem, they had apparently failed "on" and I pulled the plugs on my lights to manually turn them off after my Apex should have done so. The next day (today) I tried the same triacs, but was unable to turn them on.

WHEN IT RAINS IT POURS...

Discovered this evening that the "event" that took out my EB8 also apparently took out an EB4 and a Link1 module. That leaves me trying to figure out whether or not it is time to upgrade to the Apex 2016 controller.

So for now, anyone have any thoughts on resuscitating an EB4 and/or a Link1? Anyone have any experience having either repaired, and on the cost of such a repair? Anyone care to preform an autopsy on the two new victims?

So it goes...

OP
OP
radiata

radiata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CORRECTION: My EB4 looks like it is flat-lining in Fusion, but the three BRS Dosers on it aren't drawing enough power to show any electricity usage in Fusion.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depending upon what 'many years' means I'd be inclined to be happy with a long service life and buy a new one.

OP
OP
radiata

radiata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TRUE CONFESSIONS: Finally figured out this week that my problem was cable that somehow went bad. And not an Apex cable either - it was a 15' cheapo USB "extension" cable. Incorrectly thinking my hardware had gone south, I picked up an EB8 and a 1LINK to troubleshoot with. So it goes...

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 4 21.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 13 68.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 5.3%
Back