Dead fish

lawrence micallef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an aquarium that it's been running for over 3 years now and it's the third time that I am loosing the fish reason don't know exactly, it is working fine but every know and then in the morning I woke up to a foggy water and dead fish, all parameters are fine tank is mixed reef with soft and hard the soft corals are getting very large, the 3 times always is happening @ night. As there is something happening @ night the system has a sump with chateo algea and Caulerpa.

mib86

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, @lawrence micallef what I read, your problem occurs at night. So I have two questions

1. Does your protein skimmer run all the time?
2. How much bacteria are you adding to the water and how often?

For me, it looks like a typical oxygen depletion. Milk or as you wrote foggy water means that you have bacterial bloom which means that during bacteria growth too much oxygen was used. I have asked about skimmer because it is aerates the water.
This is my first thought, you can check this first.

Does anyone have other ideas?

OP
OP
L

lawrence micallef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, @lawrence micallef what I read, your problem occurs at night. So I have two questions

1. Does your protein skimmer run all the time?
2. How much bacteria are you adding to the water and how often?

For me, it looks like a typical oxygen depletion. Milk or as you wrote foggy water means that you have bacterial bloom which means that during bacteria growth too much oxygen was used. I have asked about skimmer because it is aerates the water.
This is my first thought, you can check this first.

Does anyone have other ideas?
Skimmer runs 24/7

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 26.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 44 83.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 13.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 4 7.5%
  • Other

Votes: 2 3.8%
Back