DEAD OR DYING DUNCAN?

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Under whites
Idk. As others said, something may be picking at it. But it's also VERY possible/probable that the low salinity has slowly killed it and/or the low nutrients have starved it. Not a lot you can do right now except work on your parameters and keep them stable once at appropriate levels. This coral might not survive but doing the above will help save other coral.

OP
OP
M

moneyman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The chunk out of the skeleton was like that when I got him. When I say fine he was 85% open I would say

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The chunk out of the skeleton was like that when I got him. When I say fine he was 85% open I would say
It's possible it was already injured when you bought it and is just now succumbing to the damage... Not to beat a dead horse, but this is why water quality is so important; so things that may be "sick" can have the chance to recover without additional stress.

You seem new to the hobby and I hope my comments aren't upsetting; you're learning and all of us lost livestock when we started out. Work on the tank/stability, and then try to buy coral (and fish) that look as healthy as possible... It's fine to try to "rescue" a few cheap frags, but you deserve to have healthy specimens in your tank that will grow and thrive :)

OP
OP
M

moneyman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yo I'm sorry for the trouble he is starting to open up now. I haven't had success with Duncan's in the past, so I panicked. I also bought the coral online so thats why he has the chunk out, or I would not have picked him. I will still get the water up to par. Thanks for the advice!

16986142407757092608203038717389.jpg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 29 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 131 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 15 6.7%
Back