Dead (Or maybe Zombie!) Zoa Heads ?!?

NigelRichardson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't even know how to describe what's going on / what question I should be asking here...

Hopefully the photo below shows what's happening and someone can help me out...

I appear to have some Dead (?) Zombie (?) Mutant (?) Something else (?) heads in my Zoas - Should I be cutting these off, or just leaving as is? Colony is - apart from the obvious - healthy and growing ok (Tank is only just coming up to 6 months old, so early days)...

Any insights much appreciated !

IMG_6881.jpg

OP
OP
N

NigelRichardson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off, get rid of that Aiptasia. It’s stinging the zoas. Don’t see any dead zoas on pic, just a few closed up due to Aiptasia.
(a) Thank you (b) I now feel like a complete idiot for not realising what this was - I had no idea it could be Aiptasia (c) Better to know though ! Off to LFS for remedy we go!

Last edited:
OP
OP
N

NigelRichardson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are fine except for those aptasia. I see at least 2 in the pic. Pluck those dudes out
Thanks for the diagnosis.

New reefer who clearly doesnt even know what to look for.... Face Palm moment right here, but better to know, so thank you!

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the diagnosis.

New reefer who clearly doesnt even know what to look for.... Face Palm moment right here, but better to know, so thank you!
Pull the rock and completely cover the aptasia in super glue. If they come back do the same and get a peppermint shrimp

OP
OP
N

NigelRichardson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pull the rock and completely cover the aptasia in super glue. If they come back do the same and get a peppermint shrimp
Interesting idea - Hadn't come across that suggestion before.

Lucky for me, my "micro zoa garden" is on its own little rock outcrop (Everyone suggested good idea to isolate from main rock work, at least until I get my head around what I'm doing), so a matter of seconds for me to pull out...

sp1187

bird flu antidote
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
never used ap X. have used a hypodermic needle and lemon juice successfully.
tried 4 peppermint shrimp with no success.
copperband butterfly works for me.

OP
OP
N

NigelRichardson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Easiest method is get lemon juice in syringe and make sure to put in mouth of aptasia (it think it getting meal will try to eat) and then bam! Lemon juice instantly melts it
Easiest method is get lemon juice in syringe and make sure to put in mouth of aptasia (it think it getting meal will try to eat) and then bam! Lemon juice instantly melts it
Thanks for the suggestion... Silly me for not even picking this as an Aiptasia in the first place....

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back