DEAD PUFFER THIS MORNING WHAT? WHY?

ddc0715

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well, here's an odd question. New 220 fowler tank Set upholds 3 yellow tail damsels, our 6" P puffer, one small coral hogfish 2", a small niger trigger 2". our lunar wrasse 6", All added in the order listed. puffer and lunar came from my reef tank. PUFFER life's been good, add CC snails yesterday afternoon, puffer dead this morning. any takers on a theory? F***

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any outward signs at all? When did the puffer get moved over?

Jay

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If there were no signs to point to, all you can do is theorize. The dirty dark secret of cyanide is back, along with other stunning poisons used for collection. Mortality rates all around have risen, like they weren't disgustingly high already. Previous treatment with copper or antibiotics sometimes causes organ damage which effects fish out of the blue at some later date, Puffers tend to be be especially susceptible to such poisonings. Any use of tank cleaners or any other non naturally occurring additives to tank can also be especially reactive to some species, puffers being one.

I just had a juvi emporer angel in observation doing well, just end up dead one day. I dissected him to see if I could get a clue, his heart had exploded. Why?, I have no idea. It's natural for us to try and blame ourselves, and the lfs and industry will always try and blame our care. But the fact is, sometimes it's not our fault, and completely out of our control.

OP
OP
ddc0715

ddc0715

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no, none, NADA, 0, ZIPPO, A BIG heck no. on outward signs at all. he was eating just fine 2-3 mussels a day. I agree on the poisoning of fish and I do not use chems unless I have to. then I do not like to. we know its not our fault but dang. when I found him this morning it looked as if one side of his belly was puffed a bit, enough to where his spins were raised in that area we have concluded that the more than likely tried to eat one of the new snails (gumdrop size), whole and choked.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no, none, NADA, 0, ZIPPO, A BIG heck no. on outward signs at all. he was eating just fine 2-3 mussels a day. I agree on the poisoning of fish and I do not use chems unless I have to. then I do not like to. we know its not our fault but dang. when I found him this morning it looked as if one side of his belly was puffed a bit, enough to where his spins were raised in that area we have concluded that the more than likely tried to eat one of the new snails (gumdrop size), whole and choked.

That is also a possibility with puffers, except for my lazy bum, they will sometimes munch down something they shouldn't have, and die from a blockage. This usually takes time and there would have been signs; 1st off he would have stopped eating, signs of lethargy, you would have noticed something was off. An added note; maintaining reef level mg even in a fowlr is a good idea, as mg may help with digestion. While choking may be a possibility, I mean puffers are dumb, but that is something I wouldn't normally conclude. I've had puffers in the past roll around rocks and snails and such in their mouths scavenging for bits of food.

One sign of his belly being puffed on one side could present some sort of internal hemorrhage, again one can only speculate.

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am sad to hear it’s still that much of an issue. Have you noticed that it affects more species than others? If so which species other than the Emperor Angel (where was it sourced from?) have you personally encountered this issue with?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 150 88.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back