Dead Royal Grama

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With chemiClean which I despise, filter needed to run. Skimmer can be turned off and should. With filter off, oxygen reduced. At minimum if turning off a filter, add an air stone for movement and oxygen exchange
The tail looks shredded suggesting aggression from a tankmate (something a clown would do)
I’m beginning to think the lfs providing the information is leading the op down a rabbit hole of failure .
So much information that might have been the way 30 years ago .
but so much has changed . Such as the old saying of using old sand helped skip cycle and provided good bacteria “

OP
OP
Pazernaker

Pazernaker

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is some food for thought .
Most lfs make money . They’re paid to sell products , even if that means blowing sand storms of useless knowledge up your wazoo
compared to experienced members here which have also been through the exact same scenario .
Take what’s said with a grain of salt but be responsible for your own research .
post and ask questions but ultimately what is added to your system is your educated decision .
Appreciate the insight more than words can describe! This forum as a collective has been a life saver so far, and I'm only scratching the surface of the collective knowledge. Diving into the articles one at a time right now for education, and I'm loving everything about this hobby.

OP
OP
Pazernaker

Pazernaker

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m beginning to think the lfs providing the information is leading the op down a rabbit hole of failure .
So much information that might have been the way 30 years ago .
but so much has changed . Such as the old saying of using old sand helped skip cycle and provided good bacteria “
I'm beginning to think this as well. There's 2 local stores to me, one is dramatically smaller than the other, but the smaller one is much closer to me. I might just have to suck it up and drive the extra 30 minutes each way for my tank needs, as the other one is regarded very highly in the area (No, I won't give names for the stores, as I don't want to start a witch hunt, but if you have suggestions for southern NH fish stores to go to and steer clear of, I'd love to hear them).

Neither of these stores are big box stores, they're both family owned mom and pop style shops.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm beginning to think this as well. There's 2 local stores to me, one is dramatically smaller than the other, but the smaller one is much closer to me. I might just have to suck it up and drive the extra 30 minutes each way for my tank needs, as the other one is regarded very highly in the area (No, I won't give names for the stores, as I don't want to start a witch hunt, but if you have suggestions for southern NH fish stores to go to and steer clear of, I'd love to hear them).

Neither of these stores are big box stores, they're both family owned mom and pop style shops.
While shopping . Keep in the back
Of your mind that they need to make money to feed their families .
I know the limits I would exceed to do the same …..

Ask questions but do your research ….

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
LOL - I might as well add my 2 cents -

1. With chemiclean carbon should be removed. The skimmer left on. The filter left on.
2. If you stopped your filter for 48 hours, you almost certainly decreased your nitrifying bacteria and perhaps created an anaerobic condition (BUT - that should IMHO - have affected all the fish in the tank)
3. There is no carbon in 'chemiclean' - There is carbon in 'chemipure'. Chemiclean (by all reports is an erythromycin derivative)
4. Chemiclean itself does not cause 'vibrio' to appear. Vibrio is either in the tank or its not. Chemiclean in general in the concentration used is not SUPPOSED to affect the bacterial balance of the tank (i.e. the cyanobacteria is more susceptible than others). In fact vibrio can be susceptible to Erythromycin (in vitro probably more than in vivo).
5. Overuse of antibiotics in this hobby (especially broad spectrum antibiotics) is a big issue - which of course is why they are not even available without a veterinary prescription in many countries.

PS - I would as recommended carefully watch your other fish/conditions.

Fishfreak2009

Follow Your Passions!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL - I might as well add my 2 cents -

1. With chemiclean carbon should be removed. The skimmer left on. The filter left on.
2. If you stopped your filter for 48 hours, you almost certainly decreased your nitrifying bacteria and perhaps created an anaerobic condition (BUT - that should IMHO - have affected all the fish in the tank)
3. There is no carbon in 'chemiclean' - There is carbon in 'chemipure'. Chemiclean (by all reports is an erythromycin derivative)
4. Chemiclean itself does not cause 'vibrio' to appear. Vibrio is either in the tank or its not. Chemiclean in general in the concentration used is not SUPPOSED to affect the bacterial balance of the tank (i.e. the cyanobacteria is more susceptible than others). In fact vibrio can be susceptible to Erythromycin (in vitro probably more than in vivo).
5. Overuse of antibiotics in this hobby (especially broad spectrum antibiotics) is a big issue - which of course is why they are not even available without a veterinary prescription in many countries.

PS - I would as recommended carefully watch your other fish/conditions.
Vibrio is present in most marine aquariums. My point was that repeated treatments of a system with erythromycin makes it much more likely for the Vibrio bacteria present in that system to become resistant to erythromycin, and concurrently, other antibiotics.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Vibrio is present in most marine aquariums. My point was that repeated treatments of a system with erythromycin makes it much more likely for the Vibrio bacteria present in that system to become resistant to erythromycin, and concurrently, other antibiotics.
I agreed with your point:). I do not believe vibrio is present in most marine aquaria (but IMHO one should act as if it is present). My other point was that since erythromycin can KILL vibrio vulnificans according literature (depending on the location found) - its not likely that chemiclean for 2 days will cause resistant organisms - which tends to occur when antibiotics are used for longer periods of time. But - again you're absolutely correct IMO - avoiding unnessary use of antibiotics - especially in a display tank - as compared to a QT tank should be avoided if possible.

Fishfreak2009

Follow Your Passions!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agreed with your point:). I do not believe vibrio is present in most marine aquaria (but IMHO one should act as if it is present). My other point was that since erythromycin can KILL vibrio vulnificans according literature (depending on the location found) - its not likely that chemiclean for 2 days will cause resistant organisms - which tends to occur when antibiotics are used for longer periods of time. But - again you're absolutely correct IMO - avoiding unnessary use of antibiotics - especially in a display tank - as compared to a QT tank should be avoided if possible.
Sorry, definitely wasn't trying to sound harsh by any means. I've been up for about 30 hrs now. Studying for my parasitology, immunology, gross anatomy, and physiology finals next week, and lacking a lot of sleep and drinking WAY too much coffee.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sorry, definitely wasn't trying to sound harsh by any means. I've been up for about 30 hrs now. Studying for my parasitology, immunology, gross anatomy, and physiology finals next week, and lacking a lot of sleep and drinking WAY too much coffee.
Been there done that:). Must be medical school. Good luck on your tests!!!!!!!!! - And I didnt think you sounded harsh!!

Fishfreak2009

Follow Your Passions!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been there done that:). Must be medical school. Good luck on your tests!!!!!!!!! - And I didnt think you sounded harsh!!
Veterinary school actually. :) I'm at Ross University in St Kitts. Great place for me to do research related to the hobby I love. Just started a paid research assistant position studying Stony Coral Tissue Loss Disease (SCTLD) in corals on the reefs here. I even get to help design our aquaculture lab. I'll definitely be posting pics if I get permission from the the DVM I'm working with!

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Veterinary school actually. :) I'm at Ross University in St Kitts. Great place for me to do research related to the hobby I love. Just started a paid research assistant position studying Stony Coral Tissue Loss Disease (SCTLD) in corals on the reefs here. I even get to help design our aquaculture lab. I'll definitely be posting pics if I get permission from the the DVM I'm working with!
Congrats!!! wife and daughter are both vets:)

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 23 28.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 37.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 26.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back