Dead Tuxedo Urchin

  • Thread starter Thread starter ASIN28
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

ASIN28

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 18, 2020
Messages
471
Reaction score
228
Location
Long Island
What state or country do you live in
New York
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So today I found my white spines tuxedo urchin dead this is all that’s left. Is this how I would find them when they die, or should I assume my zebra eel as a suspect considering it’s right next to his cave?! I have been fighting high nitrates however I’ve had two established tuxedos for about 7 months now though so don’t think it’s caused from that
Asking for a friend.

9A6F3403-2C92-4718-9EB7-B084FCE10868.jpeg
 
This is how they look when they die and all the inverts have had a feast. Urchins are always hit and miss because they are very sensitive to any shift in water parameters.

I add 4 supposedly healthy blue tuxedo urchins and one one survived. I added 2 green urchins and both lost most of their spines, so I’m not sure if either will make it. My water parameters are near perfect, so that’s just the way it is sometimes.
 
Like mentioned he probably died and was eaten by the CuC.

I would say that urchins are generally tolerant of changes in water parameters like most other inverts. Not to say what killed yours, but urchins should be easier to care for.

My pink has been in my tank 2 years and never had to feed or do anything special for it.
 
So today I found my white spines tuxedo urchin dead this is all that’s left. Is this how I would find them when they die, or should I assume my zebra eel as a suspect considering it’s right next to his cave?! I have been fighting high nitrates however I’ve had two established tuxedos for about 7 months now though so don’t think it’s caused from that
Asking for a friend.

9A6F3403-2C92-4718-9EB7-B084FCE10868.jpeg
its a zebra eel, it eats urchins and inverts, so maybe it did yeah
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 6 5.5%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 22 20.2%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 35 32.1%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 8.3%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 9 8.3%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 15 13.8%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 8 7.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new