Deadly Disease?

Robd23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Guys! I'm not new to the fish hobby but just got into saltwater. My tanks been up and running for 4 months now and my parameters are all within the desired specifications.
However, I've had quite a fallout with multiple fish...
Lost 6 and this is the latest. Mind you, I haven't lost any corals, Inverts and my wrasse and blenny seem indestructible to date.
I've tried paracleanse and now Ruby Reef First Aid kit. But this guy looks like this. (See pic)
He started with what looked like velvet.
Any idea what this flesh eating disease may be?

20240103_090937.jpg

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WOW

How long has the trigger looked this way? What did he look like when you first got him?

Any fish other than the wrasse or blenny in the tank?

If he had velvet and if you've had him for a while, I believe he would not have survived long enough to look this poorly.

Velvet requires copper treatment to cure.

But, more info about the fish and your tank and your experience with the other fish which died might help diagnose.

OP
OP
Robd23

Robd23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The trigger was in perfect shape when I got him. He was in QT for a while then introduced to the main. He started to show some white spots 3 days into the main. Then last night, I see this! The 2 other fish show no symptoms at all. They've been on the tank for 2 months.
Could this be from corals? Is this a product of velvet or some kind of bacterial disease? Apart from the meds I've introduced to the tank, I did a 50% water change and cleaned the gravel at the same time.

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The trigger was in perfect shape when I got him. He was in QT for a while then introduced to the main. He started to show some white spots 3 days into the main. Then last night, I see this! The 2 other fish show no symptoms at all. They've been on the tank for 2 months.
Could this be from corals? Is this a product of velvet or some kind of bacterial disease? Apart from the meds I've introduced to the tank, I did a 50% water change and cleaned the gravel at the same time.
So, how long in QT? How long in DT? What tests do you run on your water?

OP
OP
Robd23

Robd23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He was in QT for 3 weeks. Then moved in the main after showing good health. The LFS also had him in QT for me for 2 weeks as well. He's been in the main for a week now i think. Eating and swimming like a champ until a couple days ago.
I used dry rock that was used in a tank previously (dried for a month) they were cleaned and I used them. Sand was new, live sand. I tested; ph, phosphate, alkalinity, ammonia, nitrate, nitrites and calcium to date. (Cause I have corals)
Maybe the rocks weren't cleaned enough and had some kind of underlying bacteria? Why aren't the other fish and the Inverts, corals affected? And what can cause his scales to rot out like that??

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hey Guys! I'm not new to the fish hobby but just got into saltwater. My tanks been up and running for 4 months now and my parameters are all within the desired specifications.
However, I've had quite a fallout with multiple fish...
Lost 6 and this is the latest. Mind you, I haven't lost any corals, Inverts and my wrasse and blenny seem indestructible to date.
I've tried paracleanse and now Ruby Reef First Aid kit. But this guy looks like this. (See pic)
He started with what looked like velvet.
Any idea what this flesh eating disease may be?

20240103_090937.jpg
This niger has mucus cones likely associated with ich and skin irritation and severe bacterial.
I cant say with treatment how well this fish will recover but treatment will be either general cure or Coppersafe at 2.25 along with Seachem kanaplex a couple of days later

OP
OP
Robd23

Robd23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll try anything!
Once I relocate him in QT...should I just restart the entire system from scratch and start fresh?

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll try anything!
Once I relocate him in QT...should I just restart the entire system from scratch and start fresh?
You can either restart the system or you can allow the DT to remain fallow for 6 to 8 weeks if you become convinced the problem is ich or velvet. If the problem is determined to be environmental, (e.g. some type of contamination) you will need to correct the problem before you restart the DT. That might require a full system restart.

OP
OP
Robd23

Robd23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I appreciate the advice! I'll leave the DT fallow for a couple months. Hopefully it'll kill itself off. Thanks again!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 80 55.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.0%
Back