Dealing with diatoms and dinos at the same time

  • Thread starter Thread starter grisban
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

grisban

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 9, 2025
Messages
58
Reaction score
13
Location
Netherlands
What state or country do you live in
Other International
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I jusr cycled my tank and i have for a week a thick brown layer on my sandbed and rocks. At first i thought it was the standard diatom outbreak so i did nothing and added some trochus snails. Since a couple days i noticed some hairy strings and airbubbles. The strings dont go away in the evening tho.

Tested my water this evening and yep phosphate is 0 and nitrates are 2ppm

What to do now? Should I get a cheap microscope to ID? Should I get some liquid phosphate and nitrates and slowly dose till proper parameters?

Im currently running just my autofleece roller and my skimmer is off. I dose bacteria weekly and AF lifesource

I have currently a very low bioload: snails and exactly 1 coral in a fragrack
 
Do you have photos of your tank?
 
Do you have photos of your tank?
IMG_6376.jpeg
 

Attachments

  • IMG_6377.jpeg
    IMG_6377.jpeg
    298.6 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_6378.jpeg
    IMG_6378.jpeg
    276.3 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_6379.jpeg
    IMG_6379.jpeg
    160.3 KB · Views: 51
Also, should i siphon out the dinos? Im reading controversial information online
 
Get a cheap microscope and ID the dinos. There are different types of treatment depending on what you have. There is a FB group that is dedicated for solutions. It's a long road
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 7 25.0%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 4 14.3%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 6 21.4%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 2 7.1%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 1 3.6%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 2 7.1%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 6 21.4%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new