Dealing with the unknown!

BoSalman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

So i was dealing with this nasty algae outbreak that caught me offguard when my nutrients where bottomed out. It covered everything on my tank and it was nasty!

First thing came to my mind was dinos! So i tried to fight it with H2O2 and it didn't make a dent on it. Tried raising nutrients via dosing Seachem Phosphorous with Brightwall Aquatics NeoNitro and it didn't do much, got a UV and nothing happened.

I blacked out my entire tank for 72 hours and it went away but left very tiny marks here and there that looks nothing like the algae itself (white hair like streaks but tiny).

Fast forward to 3 months later, it is making a comes back again and i hooked up my UV (D-D 39w) and it's not even erradicating it nor slowing it down...

It is stringy, it doesnt disappear at night, it did show up almost exactly where it was before (same spot on rocks) and it doesnt appear to be staying anywhere on my sandbed..

Specs/Chemistry is:
110g total volume. (1 yr running)
Started with dry rock and live sand.
T5/led lighting.
Skimmer comes on and off occasionally to adjust nutrients.
Livestock: 8 fish with 2 shrimps and snails.
Sal: 1.0255 (hanna/apex)
Kh: 7.5 (hanna)
Ca: 434 (hanna)
Phos: 0.03-0.06 (hanna low range, checked every two-days over two weeks).
Nitrates: 25-10-5 (fluctuates up and down over a course of a two week period).

I do feed twice a day, one with pellets and once with frozen/frakes and reedroids occasionally.

Everything in my tank seems normal, no snail issues, livestock is happy, coralline algae exploding everywhere, my four frags (sps) are doing good with better coloration and growth.

So what exactly am i dealing with here? Do i need a scope to identify? What are the possibilities?

As i said; stringy, "very rare" shows bubbles, doesn't disappear at night, when i hit it with turkey blaster it just blasts small bits of brown stuff everywhere and just appears back on the same spot sometimes! Especially on this zoa plug...

Pictures taken with lights out on tank but running my livingrooms spotlights.

20190522_023520.jpg

20190522_032417.jpg

20190522_032439.jpg

OP
OP
BoSalman

BoSalman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And one last bump.. this stuff seems to be growing rather quickly and spreading! ;Vomit

#reefsquad ?

Last edited:

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where are your nutrient levels exactly at the current moment?

I am not an algae expert whatsoever. It will be helpful to know the exact levels.

OP
OP
BoSalman

BoSalman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where are your nutrient levels exactly at the current moment?

I am not an algae expert whatsoever. It will be helpful to know the exact levels.

As of today:

Salinity: 35.2ppm (Hanna/apex)
Alk: 7.8dKh Hanna
Ca: 439 Hanna
Mag: 1480 Salifert
PO4: 0.19 (overdosed a little was shooting for 0.15) Hanna Low range.
NO: 15ppm (salifert) (slowley dosing to lower phosphates back to 0.15).

I'm basically thinking it might be dinos which is why i'm raising PO/NO levels up to 0.15 and 10-15ppm NO.

But that doesn't seem to stop nor fight it. Got me thinking perhaps it is Calothrix? I don't see bubbles on snots, nor they do disappear at night or day time.. also running 39w D-D UV 24/7..

OP
OP
BoSalman

BoSalman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gosh I don't know what that is.Does it seem to be growing primarily out the the rocks?

Yes, which is why i'm scratching my head over this.. my sandbed is completely clean of this stuff.. and they do blow off easily with a turkey blaster but only to return next day same spot and other spots.. my DT does have alot of flow (2x mp40s, 1 mp10, 1 jebao rw8, and return!)

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As of today:

Salinity: 35.2ppm (Hanna/apex)
Alk: 7.8dKh Hanna
Ca: 439 Hanna
Mag: 1480 Salifert
PO4: 0.19 (overdosed a little was shooting for 0.15) Hanna Low range.
NO: 15ppm (salifert) (slowley dosing to lower phosphates back to 0.15).

I'm basically thinking it might be dinos which is why i'm raising PO/NO levels up to 0.15 and 10-15ppm NO.

But that doesn't seem to stop nor fight it. Got me thinking perhaps it is Calothrix? I don't see bubbles on snots, nor they do disappear at night or day time.. also running 39w D-D UV 24/7..
I don’t know what that stuff is. Almost certain it’s algae. If so, your phosphates are quite high. You have to think that while your po4 is at .19, the algae is consuming this stuff like crazy so your phosphates may even be double that. I think you should bring it down to a lower number.

OP
OP
BoSalman

BoSalman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know what that stuff is. Almost certain it’s algae. If so, your phosphates are quite high. You have to think that while your po4 is at .19, the algae is consuming this stuff like crazy so your phosphates may even be double that. I think you should bring it down to a lower number.

I intentionally pumped it up to allow good algae to out-take it. This is helpful with dino's which i "think" i have.

Why do you think it is algae and not bacteria?

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I intentionally pumped it up to allow good algae to out-take it. This is helpful with dino's which i "think" i have.

Why do you think it is algae and not bacteria?
I’m assuming you mean the green hairy stuff. Green would typically mean something that photosynthesizes. I’m no expert so don’t quote me. I’d guess it’s algae which love po4 and no3. By adding those nutrients, you’re probably feeding it.

Will Gorgan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m assuming you mean the green hairy stuff. Green would typically mean something that photosynthesizes. I’m no expert so don’t quote me. I’d guess it’s algae which love po4 and no3. By adding those nutrients, you’re probably feeding it.
That’s a very good answer!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 22.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 33.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 57 31.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 9.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.2%
Back