Death by a Nero

mich2599

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I just lost one of my oldest fish Cameron (what I named it) to a Nero pump. Had this little guy since I started reefing in early 2018. So sad...

He was first caught by the pump a week back. He was floating belly up but I moved him to the sump and placed him inside an acclimation box. He ate a few times but would ignore the food for the most part. I was hoping it would recover but it didn’t.

Camera fails to fully capture the damage the Nero caused. Fin was tore up and recovered a little. It was breathing heavy a few hours ago when I checked up, and just now checked again and it was not breathing.

9BBBA88F-ACF4-489C-9CD2-C10B57B05CF4.jpeg DF46D115-5455-4CC1-AFBC-F099834ABE69.jpeg

Pancake

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I just lost one of my oldest fish Cameron (what I named it) to a Nero pump. Had this little guy since I started reefing in early 2018. So sad...

He was first caught by the pump a week back. He was floating belly up but I moved him to the sump and placed him inside an acclimation box. He ate a few times but would ignore the food for the most part. I was hoping it would recover but it didn’t.

Camera fails to fully capture the damage the Nero caused. Fin was tore up and recovered a little. It was breathing heavy a few hours ago when I checked up, and just now checked again and it was not breathing.

9BBBA88F-ACF4-489C-9CD2-C10B57B05CF4.jpeg DF46D115-5455-4CC1-AFBC-F099834ABE69.jpeg
Bummer... btw I love the way Nero looks, but it definitely looks like the grates are too open. Do you loose a lot of inverts? Based on the way my inverts climb and clean my powerheads I would imagine there would be heavy loss. Seems like the ecotechs would have issues also. Just wondering for those that have inverts like snails, hermits, and emeralds, do you notice this to be the case for designs with large grates either on the back or in the front?

SDK

Reef Diver
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for your loss.

I am probably buying one of these for my latest build and won’t even drop it in to test without the guard from MR. Hoping a second generation design comes out soon....

OP
OP
mich2599

mich2599

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Such a bummer. Main reason I won't get that powerhead. Should be their responsibility not a 3rd party to provide an add on protection.
Had one of them for almost a year now. No problems until now. Also hate when snails get close to it and you can hear the impeller hit them every time.

OP
OP
mich2599

mich2599

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bummer... btw I love the way Nero looks, but it definitely looks like the grates are too open. Do you loose a lot of inverts? Based on the way my inverts climb and clean my powerheads I would imagine there would be heavy loss. Seems like the ecotechs would have issues also. Just wondering for those that have inverts like snails, hermits, and emeralds, do you notice this to be the case for designs with large grates either on the back or in the front?
lol went ahead of myself look at my previous post^but surprisingly no death inverts just yet.

Pancake

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had one of them for almost a year now. No problems until now. Also hate when snails get close to it and you can hear the impeller hit them every time.
Yikes! They actually hit? Sounds like accidents waiting to happen. My snails would be sashimi for sure. Yeah tbh the design scares me.... on flip side it is arguably the best looking powerhead.....

Sashaka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Our fish do get themselves into trouble at times. I had a baby clown once swim down the return flow hose toward my sump pump. I caught him just in time before he got to the pump. Luckily my hose was clear so I could see the little bugger. He was swimming against the flow for all he was worth and was winning the battle by the time I rescued him. He was only about 6" from the pump. Luckily, I still have the little guy, 11 years later. The guard @TheHarold recommends sounds like a good fix for your pump, and I may get one myself. @mich2599 mentioned snail deaths. I never realized the snails were in danger from our circulation pumps until this year. I purchased some small snails and later that week I heard this awful grinding noise. At first I couldn't locate where it was coming from. I finally traced it to the circulation pump and realized snails had crawled inside.

It's tough losing fish we've taken care of for many years. I'm very sorry for your loss. ;Sorry

Last edited:
OP
OP
mich2599

mich2599

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yikes! They actually hit? Sounds like accidents waiting to happen. My snails would be sashimi for sure. Yeah tbh the design scares me.... on flip side it is arguably the best looking powerhead.....
They hit but no deaths yet. Hopefully it stays like that.

OP
OP
mich2599

mich2599

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Our fish do get themselves into trouble at times. I had a baby clown once swim down the return flow hose toward my sump pump. I caught him just in time before he got to the pump. Luckily my hose was clear so I could see the little bugger. He was swimming against the flow for all he was worth and was winning the battle by the time I rescued him. He was only about 6" from the pump. Luckily, I still have the little guy, 11 years later. The guard @TheHarold recommends sounds like a good fix for your pump, and I may get one myself. @mich2599 mentioned snail deaths. I never realized the snails were in danger from our circulation pumps until this year. I purchased some small snails and later that week I heard this awful grinding noise. At first I couldn't locate where it was coming from. I finally traced it to the circulation pump and realized snails had crawled inside.

It's tough losing fish we've taken care of for many years. I'm very sorry for your loss. ;Sorry
That clown sure is lucky!

Pancake

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear about this. Here's the guard mentioned.

ah ha! Suspicion confirmed! This is a dangerous device without mods.

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 45 47.4%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 22 23.2%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 22 23.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 6.3%
Back