DEATH OF A REEF TANK...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I dig the article, and I certainly understand the challenges, and the problems that we simply cannot foresee or prepare for, but I do also want to say that it really bothers me when people have a preventable crash, it kills all of their animals, and they just fill it up again, no thinking/redesigning/learning. That kills me. For example, if you are on crash #3 like the article mentions, then you need to really start re-evaluating your approach to this hobby.

I am not a super PETA nut, but if you kill all of your pets (if the cause is preventable), a bit of reflection and learning and rethinking is heavily warranted. The only perceived cost should not be in your wallet, if we don't treat our fish/corals/animals as treasures and members of the family, then I am not shocked when people don't want us removing them from the ocean just to accidentally kill them. (yes I know not all come from the ocean anymore)

I don't want to imply that this audience is among those who don't get bummed/reflect when it occurs, I think all of you are probably extremely responsible and simply victims of circumstance and I honestly feel for everyone who has gone through a crash. I just wanted to share that I see it pretty often in local clubs and facebook "tank crashed, oh well, swipe the card and put another 20 critters on death row". I think that we need to work together to change that mindset, improve our community learning (through awesome forums like this) and keep improving the world of responsible and ethical reefkeeping.

Thanks Adam for the well written (and very optimistic) piece.

thank you for the insight. felt this one deserved a bump. :)

Janet Belanger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Loads of great insight in the original post and throughout the thread. It's absolutely true, the thought of a fresh start after some really hard moments with my reef kept me moving one foot in front of the other. There are very few corals I would buy again to fill space, the reef was not only rescaped, but replaced entirely with a new set-up and the future of my reef is much more purposeful. I'm stoked for the next phase with a 'clean slate', and also wiser for it.

PigFarmer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Loosing a tank to a crash and being satisfied with it is equivalent to a participation trophy... in the end you failed... learn and get better from your pain, win the next go round

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Loosing a tank to a crash and being satisfied with it is equivalent to a participation trophy... in the end you failed... learn and get better from your pain, win the next go round
You may have missed the general thrust of this write up.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_1036.jpeg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 139 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.1%
Back