Discussion in 'Battlecorals' started by Battlecorals, Jun 21, 2017.

DEATH OF A REEF TANK...

Sometimes it's really all about the silver linings. I mean, I'm not the worlds most emboldened optimist - trust me, but in the wake of a...
  1. Katrina71

Katrina71 Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award R2R Secret Santa Build Thread Contributor Hospitality Award

The girl in the photo is wearing a seatbelt. She's just driving 70 in a 40. Don't we all enjoy the thrill just a little?

2. want2bsleepy

want2bsleepy Active Member Build Thread Contributor

We have been blessed to not have a major crash in our 6+ years of saltwater aquariums. We did have a minor crash in our biocube causing our soft corals to melt down to almost nothing, but the fish and anemones survived, and after 6 months the corals have their color back and are growing again. We have four tanks, one of which is a frag tank. Whenever I frag a coral I make sure that it ends up in at least two of the tanks, in case of the dreaded crash. I figure if I at least have frags of everything then we wouldn't have to start with nothing.

3. pirate2876

pirate2876 Valuable Member

Lost all SPS in a tank switch. 100+ pieces. Lost them again when we moved houses. Another 100+ pieces.

4. swk

swk Well-Known Member

ugh don't tell me that lol. I have one, if not both of those exact scenarios coming up...

5. rovster

rovster Well-Known Member

I never had a 100% crash but 95% of acros all at once, look at my white acros....
    [​IMG]

Among them my first super pack from Adam...

[​IMG]

My tank has since come back and has been through a bumpy road, still growing unfortunately with very few of Adams little colorful gems....

The big colony on the bottom I think is the only one I still have from the original pack...#17 actually lol...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The best lessons are the ones hardest learned. I probably went all in too soon to fast with that first crash, boy I'd love another go at that original pack after all the hard lessons I've learned lol....

6. brotherd

brotherd Member

How
    Done both. Still trying to find my way back.

recess62 likes this.
  7. dodgerblew

dodgerblew Valuable Member

Beautiful tank

8. BBoley24

BBoley24 Valuable Member

Uuggghhh that sps fts you posted is painful

9. HolisticBear

HolisticBear Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Partner Member 2019 Reef Tank 365 Build Thread Contributor

There was a thread titled 'is patience the most contriversial topic'. The postmortem for many crashes is the acceptance that a lack of patience was the root cause and the XYZ was just the needle that broke the camel's back.

When I recall my first tank ages ago and the problems, it's clear a lack of patience was my problem. It's probably impossible to have enough patience on your first tank, only acquired thru pain and experience. I see it on R2R, the high energy excitement of a new reefer, warned to go slow, and 3 months later, a bunch of stuff dies. We warn them, but don't judge them, because we (or I) did the same thing our first time.

10. Battlecorals

Battlecorals Aquaculturist R2R Supporter Gold Sponsor

I remember it. Looks like you've moved well past that one, and then some. looks amazing man thanks for sharing!

11. Battlecorals

Good lord my friend. I am at a loss for words. I can't say how I'd be after a disaster like that, but I am certain it would be somewhere between bonkers and bananas. truly inspiring thread though. if we were keeping tabs on damage and sub sequent resilience, you would be the winner and then some

12. PedroYoung

PedroYoung Valuable Member Partner Member 2019 Build Thread Contributor

Thanks for that, I've learned a lot. I'm "branching out" (hah, pun intended) and trying my hand at Acros. My next buy is going to be a BattleBox. Just getting up my nerve.......

13. cnseekatz

cnseekatz Well-Known Member

Word to the wise. Do not suspend any equipment with an electrical plug anywhere above the rim over your sump. I don't care if that MP10 controller is screwed, glued and bungeed to the wall... it will eventually find a way to fall. If it ends up in your sump, this is what you get.

[​IMG]

KrisReef likes this.
  14. Battlecorals

Ugh man Im sorry to see it, but thanks a lot for the advice. Thats the kind of thing you'd always think would never happen, till it does.

15. Battlecorals

Anytime my friend. I can build packs of hardy, to ultra hardy sps no problem without compromising quality in any way:)

16. Battlecorals

There's a lot of truth to that man.

Jlentz and PedroYoung like this.
  17. scardall

scardall Valuable Member R2R Supporter

How many people here has had a tank crash due to Reef Crystals mix it self, as it was contaminated from the factory???

18. vetteguy53081

vetteguy53081 Well known Member R2R Supporter Partner Member 2019 R2R Secret Santa Reef Tank 365 Build Thread Contributor Article Contributor

[​IMG]

Ento-Reefer, Thecobweb and Karl M like this.
  19. JimFuller

JimFuller Active Member Reef Tank 365 Build Thread Contributor

Or as we say in RC Model Airplane flying "There are two types of flyers. Those who have crashed and those who will crash."

Battlecorals and Raege like this.
  20. bugiguy

bugiguy Member

This was a great read!

I’ve gotta ask, cuz I’m going through a flatworm problem myself at the moment, what happened with your 07 flatworm tank crash?

Draft saved Draft deleted