Reef struggles

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
As we know there are many struggles and challenges in this hobby whether it be cycling, chemistry issues, fish not eating, coral dying or getting bleached, missing fish and mechanical failure of equipment as examples.
Many of us have struggled with something or are struggling but are afraid to ask or speak up. Be honest as you may get answers as soon as today.

What one thing(s) do you struggle with or are currently struggling with and would like to fix the issue once and for all?

Although better controlled, mine has been stable PH

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As we know there are many struggles and challenges in this hobby whether it be cycling, chemistry issues, fish not eating, coral dying or getting bleached, missing fish and mechanical failure of equipment as examples.
Many of us have struggled with something or are struggling but are afraid to ask or speak up. Be honest as you may get answers as soon as today.

What one thing(s) do you struggle with or are currently struggling with and would like to fix the issue once and for all?

I second your PH! I do not open my windows in a house with 2 adults and 2 dogs, so PH has always been an issue for me. I di purchase a CO2 scrubber recently. BUT, after researching which house plants best control CO2, I now have 5 snake plants in the room with the tank. PH is so far steady at 8.2

esquare

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best thing I ever did for PH was to add an ERV (energy recovery ventilator) to the house to continuously swap fresh outside air for stale inside air. I did the install myself which made it much more financially feasible. Second best thing I've done for PH is run an air line from outside to the skimmer.

The thing I'm struggling with now is PO4 and NO3 reading zero but obviously being present due to nuisance algae. I've started dosing Phos-NP to see what happens.

***Edit***
Plus-NP not Phos-NP

Last edited:

BrettE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New-ish tank and reefer. I think it's 7 months old.
  • Hydroids on my Zoas. I may remove the Zoas to treat, but I need to setup a tank for that.
  • Nitrate won't stay up. Dosing NeoNitro and maybe that's getting better.
  • Cyano, GHA, and Dinoflagellates everywhere and encroaching on the few frags I have.
  • My Alk had been right bout 8.7 for a few months. Suddenly dipped to 7.7. Upped dosage. Keeping a closer eye, looking for dosing problems, etc. Perhaps I didn't transfer the right dosage when my Apex lost the ability to connect to my DŌS and I had to re-program it.
  • 2 of 4 heads on my Dragon Soul Torch bailed. I moved it to get more flow after someone suggested it looked like it wasn't moving enough. Moved it back where it had been happier.

OP
OP
vetteguy53081

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
New-ish tank and reefer. I think it's 7 months old.
  • Hydroids on my Zoas. I may remove the Zoas to treat, but I need to setup a tank for that.
  • Nitrate won't stay up. Dosing NeoNitro and maybe that's getting better.
  • Cyano, GHA, and Dinoflagellates everywhere and encroaching on the few frags I have.
  • My Alk had been right bout 8.7 for a few months. Suddenly dipped to 7.7. Upped dosage. Keeping a closer eye, looking for dosing problems, etc. Perhaps I didn't transfer the right dosage when my Apex lost the ability to connect to my DŌS and I had to re-program it.
  • 2 of 4 heads on my Dragon Soul Torch bailed. I moved it to get more flow after someone suggested it looked like it wasn't moving enough. Moved it back where it had been happier.
If you have both cyano and Dino, it suggests there is a nutrient imbalance existing in your tank. Add GHA and it leads towards higher levels. When we see zero readings, automatically we assume this is the cause but by the time you see zero numbers, its because the dino has consumed the po4 and no3 and are multiplying and in turn many dose no3 and po4 to bring numbers up not realizing they are feeding these flagellates even more.
Is your tank at or near a window by chance?

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
had a nutrient swing that caused GHA/Dino’s. chaeto was out competed by the GHA in the sump. as my sump CUC died off.

i’m looking to get more CUC for the DT and sump while i continue to manually remove as much GHA as i can. using hydrogen peroxide during the night to kill off any GHA in the DT. once that battle is over i’ll work on the dino’s with copepods and phosphate dosing (which im slowly doing as well)

BrettE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have both cyano and Dino, it suggests there is a nutrient imbalance existing in your tank. Add GHA and it leads towards higher levels. When we see zero readings, automatically we assume this is the cause but by the time you see zero numbers, its because the dino has consumed the po4 and no3 and are multiplying and in turn many dose no3 and po4 to bring numbers up not realizing they are feeding these flagellates even more.
Is your tank at or near a window by chance?
Tank is not near a window.

About 3 weeks ago after getting nitrates up, cyano completely disappeared over the course of a day. Then GHA started. Then I slacked on keeping the nitrate up cyano reappeared. I added a doser to remedy the forgetful reefer.

Yesterdays results:
Nitrate: 5.2 ppm
Phosphate: 0.02 ppm

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm currently looking at the IM100...either EXT or INT, not sure yet. I need to get new carpet and furniture before so the tank will fit well and I won't need to move it any time soon.

If you want to save a ton of money, join the club

It’s extremely similar in dimensions, 48x20x20 for half the price and free shipping

OP
OP
vetteguy53081

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Tank is not near a window.

About 3 weeks ago after getting nitrates up, cyano completely disappeared over the course of a day. Then GHA started. Then I slacked on keeping the nitrate up cyano reappeared. I added a doser to remedy the forgetful reefer.

Yesterdays results:
Nitrate: 5.2 ppm
Phosphate: 0.02 ppm
Dont let the Phos drop any further as you may potentially resort back to dino

ReeferFive-0

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want to save a ton of money, join the club

It’s extremely similar in dimensions, 48x20x20 for half the price and free shipping
Thanks I'll keep an eye on it, I'm just not ready to pull the trigger yet. I also have these things called kids that like to eat...lol

cdemoss01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I had very bad hair algae and now I'm dealing with different types of glass algae that I cant even reach too scrape.

OP
OP
vetteguy53081

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I had very bad hair algae and now I'm dealing with different types of glass algae that I cant even reach too scrape.
Astrea snails take care of my back glass well

OP
OP
vetteguy53081

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I have about 8 of them but 6 of them are babies just bought them yesterday other two are fully grown. Do you know any other glass cleaner?
I have about 26. Other would be cerith and trochus snails

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 58 73.4%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 12.7%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 7.6%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back