Death to Aptasia!

flricordia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know there are many good products out there to get rid of aptasia and even plenty of natural methods like peppermint shrimp but not wanting to buy an animal I don't really want or order any products right now and having some aptasia starting to appear I got to thinking, 'what about injecting some liquid calcium?'.
I have some Kent's I keep on hand as it does purple coralline growth very well and my neighbor is a diabetic so I got a needle and drew some liquid calcium into it and injected it into some of the aptasia and it killed them.
I like this method because the liquid calcium is not nearly as potent as some of the products out there and it takes a lot before there is any change in water parameters. A 1/2cc will do about 5 aptasia and you would need 10+ of these to make a dose for a 50gl. accoring to the bottle for calcium increase.
Just wanted to share that and like I said, I know there are plenty of good products available for aptasia control so not trying to replace any of them with this thread.

Poseidon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have also had good luck with "kalk paste" 2tbs Kalk, 1tbs water, smear it over the little bugger.

I have heard lemon juice injected into them works as well.

gparr

Waterbox Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kalk paste for me, too. I squirt a pile of it on the little beast using a syringe. Works every time. If you can remove the rock and blob it on out of the water, it's even more effective. Let it solidify outside the water for a few minutes, then put the rock back in. Coralline will cover the white blob eventually and you'll not see it.

I bought a small container of kalkwasser powder a long time ago and am still using it. Cheap and effective.
Gary

Pawky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lemon juice and a needle has worked well for me. If you need a needle they keep them behind the counter at most drug stores, a pack of them only cost a couple dollars.

Saltysteele

Bret
View Badges
Reaction score
in a van, down by the river in South Haven, MI
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i can't imagine having to inject into the little buggers, the way they zip back into their crevice. besides, it can't be as pleasing as watching the thick syrup of death fall into their tentacles, and to watch them greedily try to eat the delicious calcium, unwittingly od'ing on the wonderful stuff.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 70 44.6%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 73 46.5%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 14 8.9%

Back