Death trap

Dan Huynh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 40 breeder that i use to house as a second place holder for the fish, but recently every fish i put in there would slime up with a white slime coating and would die after 2-3 days. Any idea why?

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 40 breeder that i use to house as a second place holder for the fish, but recently every fish i put in there would slime up with a white slime coating and would die after 2-3 days. Any idea why?

Did you test for ammonia while they were in there?

tgrick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
White slime sounds like brook. Do you had any pictures?

tgrick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
White slime sounds like brook. Do you had any pictures?

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's a parasite / disease, a thorough cleaning of the tank and all its accessories, begin again from a cold start, re-start the cycle - should solve the problem. Otherwise, the "fallow" period for Brooklynella is six weeks.

~Bruce

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's a parasite / disease, a thorough cleaning of the tank and all its accessories, begin again from a cold start, re-start the cycle - should solve the problem. Otherwise, the "fallow" period for Brooklynella is six weeks.

~Bruce
This exactly.

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you need to tear down the whole tank and clean it thoroughly, including ALL equipment inside and out. Run the equipment in fresh water with vinegar to clean it out. Let it run for awhile, not for a few minutes.

Brooklynea is nearly a 100% death sentence to anything that swims. It's typically so fast the fish are dead before you can treat them.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

White coating... maybe Velvet? if your fish looks like it's been sprinkled with powdered sugar, it may be.

EYE-CANDY AQUATICS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tear it all down and clean with a vinager water solution. Let it air dry for a day and then put in all new filters. This will get rid of anything bad in the tank

OP
OP
Dan Huynh

Dan Huynh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
White coating... maybe Velvet? if your fish looks like it's been sprinkled with powdered sugar, it may be.

It is not sprinkle, completely white slime coating. Most likely to be brooklynella...

OP
OP
Dan Huynh

Dan Huynh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank was tear down completely, had a vinegar bath for a few days and now back up. Hope this will take care of it. Thanks everyone for the input.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 19 8.2%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 40 17.2%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 156 67.2%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.6%
Back