Debating on how to aquascape

Saltwatertaylor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am cycling my 120g ( its a deep tank not long ). I have many many live rock in there, and am debating what would be the smartest idea to do regarding the aquascape. I am thinking that I will have a few SPS corals and an anemone and a pair of clownfish. The substrate gets very dirty, and its hard to move anything around with all the live rock. Would a 120g deep tank look good with minimal aquascape? If someone has a 120g deep with a minimal aquascape please post.
NEW TANK.jpg

Its a crappy I phone pic.

mainereefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
120g 48"x24"24"
a couple different ways I had it over the years probably 100 pounds of rock

175w 14k mh
IMG_5905.jpg

175w 10k mh
IMG_4412.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Saltwatertaylor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My only problem is the pvc pipes in the back. I dont know if it will look dumb without totally covering them. My father created this tank and had the pvp pumps pump water into it so thats where the flow comes from. Hmm decisions decisions.

OP
OP
S

Saltwatertaylor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm, I could but my tank is just about ready to be done cycling. I could maybe just paint the top one black because I wouldnt need to take that much water out. The other one could be hidden by the rocks.

Steelerfan747

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are planning on having sps, I would consider removing some rock and doing away with the wall look all together

Steelerfan747

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I woould try to move the rocks more towards the front leaving space in the front, back and sides to allow for growth

BarbH

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think doing a couple of islands would look good, if you haven't already I would spend some time looking at the different build threads to see what people did with their aquascaping to give you some ideas of what will work for you and also what you like.

OP
OP
S

Saltwatertaylor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I have to leave for work but when I come back I will definitely check them out. Plus taking out alot of that live rock will probably help my tank cycle quicker and remove nitrates :)

wysiwyg

marine predator man
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah check out some build threads on r2r the wall look isnt bad but limits the space where you can place corals

steamer51

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like a minimalist look with lots of open sand and swimming space. Future builds will have plenty of live rock in the sump for filtration but little in the display.

Pkunk35

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it were up to me I would take the opportunity to put the display rock in a formation that I like via drilling, cable ties, etc. I would then put the rest of the rock in the sump or maybe pound some up for fragging rocks.

It would be cool if you could somehow rig the rocks to cover most of the piping, painting it black isn't a bad idea either, you could keep the water cycling with power heads.

That is a lot of rock! Should be fun.

Making themselves at home: Have you intentionally done anything in your aquarium to enhance the natural behavior of your fish?

• I planned my tank to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 27 27.6%
  • I did some things to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 33 33.7%
  • Anything that encourages natural fish behavior was a byproduct of the aquascaping.

Votes: 16 16.3%
  • I did not do anything to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 19 19.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.1%
Back