Decapsulated brine shrimp eggs shelf life in fridge?

Plunder

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought some decapsulated eggs from the algae barn a couple of months ago and have them stored in my fridge. Today I opened the bottle and it smelled a bit "funky". I don't remember what they smelled like before because it's been a few months since I last made a batch, but I am making a new batch as we speak. I guess I'll find out shortly if they are still good, but does anyone know how long these last in the fridge?

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi, is there not shelf life date on can?

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to hatch these things out years ago. I think they keep for a long time in a cool dry place. Keeping them in the fridge may not be good because they might get a little damp which is not good for them. But this is from my recollection from eons ago say the Devonian.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
i have kept in sealed can w lid,believe was 6 mo after opening,can also read keep in fridge after opening,think san francisco bay brand

OP
OP
Plunder

Plunder

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As in a rotten egg smell? It could be an anoxic environment fueling H2S bacterial growth...

It stinks, but it's hard to describe. Let's say it could be "an anoxic environment fueling H2S bacterial growth". Would they still hatch and would the brine be safe to eat for the tank? For hatching, I use the "Brine Shrimp hatchery disc" by hobby which just collects the brine in a special filter cup that removes water.

ichthyogeek

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it smells like rotten fish, then it's probably gone bad....aside from that, I can't think of any other smells associated with brine shrimp, other than the "brine shrimp" smell they sometimes have.

H2S would offgas, and if they hatched, they would be safe to eat. I'm unsure if they would still hatch though.

OP
OP
Plunder

Plunder

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to update the post, the hatch was unsuccessful. Doesn't seem one has hatched. I'll have to do better storing them this time. Lesson learned, don't put decapsulated eggs in the fridge for more than a couple of months, they won't last!

I'll be storing them in the crawl space under the house this time :p

Larry L

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to update the post, the hatch was unsuccessful. Doesn't seem one has hatched. I'll have to do better storing them this time. Lesson learned, don't put decapsulated eggs in the fridge for more than a couple of months, they won't last!

I'll be storing them in the crawl space under the house this time :p

I don't think they will last long if unrefrigerated. All the vendors that I have seen that sell hatching decapsulated eggs say to refrigerate them, and that they will keep at least a month. Aquaculture Nursery Farms says theirs will last up to 6 months in the refrigerator.

The non-hatching decapsulated eggs are usually stored dry and do not have to be in the refrigerator.

OP
OP
Plunder

Plunder

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So after about 48 hrs I actually have some that have hatched! Defiantly not as many as there should be, but some are still hatching. Going to feed them some phytoplankton and keep watching them.

I'm also going to do another batch but try to get the eggs from the bottom of the jar this time. Maybe they are fresher?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 74 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back