Stinky Fish Food Problem??

Roatan Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So....

We have a 125 Fresh, 40B Saltwater and now a new 13.5 Evo.

The frozen fish food has never really been an issue, as we make it in single feed cups like you would get in to go sauce cups rom a restaurant for the Freshwater.

We've tried different things for the Saltwater food, and as most of you know...it can smell pretty foul...it was never that much of an issue, but last few months, The Wife has said something has to change.

We initially kept all food on a plastic refrigerator tray/shelf that held everything, but the Saltwater food has gotten out of control ( in regards to smell)

We tried baby bottles, different containers etc, still nothing worked....refrigerator reaked of foul Saltwater food.

We basically mix LRS Reef Frenzy/Rods + Saltwater Multi Pack Cubes +Formula 1 cubes ...so you all know its foul Smelling!

Sister, wife and I were shopping at Walmart yesterday and we found this and did this...it's absolutely perfect and looks cool too.

A mini fridge with shelf and a cool LED surrounding light.

It holds all the Freshwater cups and 2 larger cups for saltwater food.

We placed it below the 13.5 Evo, and it looks awesome. It was $29.99...you can't beat that!!

Food for thought if your wife complains about stinking up the main refrigerator!!
1000004717.jpg
1000004718.jpg

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It's not generally a good idea to leave seafood thawed. It's also not great for the quality of it to be freezing and thawing repeatedly. Chopping off pieces of the cubes as needed, leaving them frozen, is generally better practice and can be easily done with a butter knife. If you need only a fiddly sliver of each cube to make the amount of mixed food you need, you could always just feed 1 type of food a day, alternating every day or so, for pretty much the same effect.

This is a clever solution for if you absolutely have to have it thawed, though. Wouldn't have thought they made fridges that small.

OP
OP
Roatan Reef

Roatan Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not generally a good idea to leave seafood thawed. It's also not great for the quality of it to be freezing and thawing repeatedly. Chopping off pieces of the cubes as needed, leaving them frozen, is generally better practice and can be easily done with a butter knife. If you need only a fiddly sliver of each cube to make the amount of mixed food you need, you could always just feed 1 type of food a day, alternating every day or so, for pretty much the same effect.

This is a clever solution for if you absolutely have to have it thawed, though. Wouldn't have thought they made fridges that small.
We have always done this, with 0 issues, even on foods that say do not thaw! Fish, Coral love it...it makes it simple and easy for feeding time...especially when we are out of town and have a house sitter.

Small Fridge is awesome, and now large fridge is free from fish food.

Also, Freshwater food should be thawed and kept cold, or else large fish eat whole chunks and don't share!

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well, yes, thaw the food before serving it, but leave it frozen for as long as possible beforehand. Much harder for bacteria to grow and trace elements to break down.

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
They can, but they still generally shouldn't be eating food that's already started to decay, and they can still get sick from food-borne pathogens. Most of their diet in the wild would be things they've caught live, or something relatively freshly dead, not something that's been stewing in its own juices for hours or days. Dogs, for example, can get salmonella from raw meat that's been through the food-producing system, as it's been handled enough and had time enough for the bacteria to grow past what they'd normally encounter.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
So....

We have a 125 Fresh, 40B Saltwater and now a new 13.5 Evo.

The frozen fish food has never really been an issue, as we make it in single feed cups like you would get in to go sauce cups rom a restaurant for the Freshwater.

We've tried different things for the Saltwater food, and as most of you know...it can smell pretty foul...it was never that much of an issue, but last few months, The Wife has said something has to change.

We initially kept all food on a plastic refrigerator tray/shelf that held everything, but the Saltwater food has gotten out of control ( in regards to smell)

We tried baby bottles, different containers etc, still nothing worked....refrigerator reaked of foul Saltwater food.

We basically mix LRS Reef Frenzy/Rods + Saltwater Multi Pack Cubes +Formula 1 cubes ...so you all know its foul Smelling!

Sister, wife and I were shopping at Walmart yesterday and we found this and did this...it's absolutely perfect and looks cool too.

A mini fridge with shelf and a cool LED surrounding light.

It holds all the Freshwater cups and 2 larger cups for saltwater food.

We placed it below the 13.5 Evo, and it looks awesome. It was $29.99...you can't beat that!!

Food for thought if your wife complains about stinking up the main refrigerator!!
1000004717.jpg
1000004718.jpg
looks nice but I never have an issue with food smell

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well for starters it’s frozen food meant to be kept frozen! Keep it in the freezer. It’s not meant to be stored in the fridge even if you make your own it’s frozen food and it will go bad quicker and smell in the refrigerator so store it in the freezer.

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Yes they do. I have one it’s usually marketed for skincare and beauty products like but it fits soda cans too.

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve never had an issue with frozen food smelling bad, and I am hyper sensitive to smells.

How long do you keep it thawed before feeding ? You should only thaw what you need for 24-48 hours and you will never smell anything.

If it smells, it’s rotting and it’s no good to feed.

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yeah, that is another thing. Some fish foods can be a bit smelly, but if they really, really stink, they're likely going bad or already there. If it stinks worse than it did fresh, it's started to break down, and should be thrown out- even if it doesn't make the fish sick, it's less nutritious.

(Though different people have different smell receptors, so sensitivities to different smells vary.)

OP
OP
Roatan Reef

Roatan Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, that is another thing. Some fish foods can be a bit smelly, but if they really, really stink, they're likely going bad or already there. If it stinks worse than it did fresh, it's started to break down, and should be thrown out- even if it doesn't make the fish sick, it's less nutritious.

(Though different people have different smell receptors, so sensitivities to different smells vary.)
Well for starters it’s frozen food meant to be kept frozen! Keep it in the freezer. It’s not meant to be stored in the fridge even if you make your own it’s frozen food and it will go bad quicker and smell in the refrigerator so store it in the freezer.

I’ve never had an issue with frozen food smelling bad, and I am hyper sensitive to smells.

How long do you keep it thawed before feeding ? You should only thaw what you need for 24-48 hours and you will never smell anything.

If it smells, it’s rotting and it’s no good to feed.
The food I premix is for about 3 days of twice daily feeding total, kept refrigerated. Wether or not it's frozen or kept refrigerated should not be an issue. If you freeze a piece of meat, then put into refrigerator to thaw, the meat is still good...even if you don't cook it the next or same day. It has a shelf life, refrigerated. Just because you thaw, then refrigerate frozen fish food in no way makes it go bad.

Lulz...at some of the responses here.. the food is not rotting!! Its literally bought, brought home, re freezed (time from LFS visit to get home) then separated out and mixed together

As soon as you open a frozen pack of LRS or Rods, it's a foul smell.

I personally never have a problem with it, but the wife has a special sniffer...she can smell all types of stuff, that doesn't even register to most people.

Get a

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back