Decent Anthias to Keep Singly?

Bouncingsoul39

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I say decent, because I don't consider it a "good thing" to keep a shoaling or schooling fish by itself. But, I think it would be cool to have one. Anyone have experience with keeping a single Anthias in a smaller tank? I've got a 50. I love Sunburst but have had very bad luck with them in the past. There is the Squammi of course but kind of boring.

OP
OP
Bouncingsoul39

Bouncingsoul39

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah, beautiful fish. I call them Borbonius Groupers. ;Shamefullyembarrased My buddy had a huge one that was very feisty and an aggressive eater. A small one would be nice though it would definitely outgrow my tank eventually.

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah, beautiful fish. I call them Borbonius Groupers. ;Shamefullyembarrased My buddy had a huge one that was very feisty and an aggressive eater. A small one would be nice though it would definitely outgrow my tank eventually.
Haha yea, I've heard their bottomless pits with a bad attitude sometimes. How about this guy: link

40B Knasty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had a Red Saddleback Anthies. The Anthies was friends with the clown. Spotted mandarin doesn't pay no mind to any fish. Grammica lined dart fish hung out with it when he came out of his hole. This was in a 20g. Sadly my Randall's Prawn goby killed it. :(
Here is a pic of Flash

.facebook_1489642702180.jpg

OP
OP
Bouncingsoul39

Bouncingsoul39

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had a Red Saddleback Anthies. The Anthies was friends with the clown. Spotted mandarin doesn't pay no mind to any fish. Grammica lined dart fish hung out with it when he came out of his hole. This was in a 20g. Sadly my Randall's Prawn goby killed it. :(
Here is a pic of Flash

.facebook_1489642702180.jpg
How did the Randall's kill Flash? Just bullied into hiding?

40B Knasty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did the Randall's kill Flash? Just bullied into hiding?
Attacked him repeatedly. Anthies need to eat several times a day. After a few days of little eating. Then it turned into hiding for 2 days. It was over. No one believes that Randall's Prawn Goby are like that. Here is a picture of him attacking my Yellow and Purple wrasse that is 2x the size of him. He killed my Swissguard Basslet and was attacking my spotted mandarin. Then I put a flame angel in. He was scared of the flame, but as soon as he was out of range he would go back to bullying. He was also bullying the grammica lined dart fish, but he put him in his place a few times. The Randall's fanning fin would get split down the middle and grow back fine in the next 2 days.

IMG_20170421_105748.jpg

OP
OP
Bouncingsoul39

Bouncingsoul39

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Attacked him repeatedly. Anthies need to eat several times a day. After a few days of little eating. Then it turned into hiding for 2 days. It was over. No one believes that Randall's Prawn Goby are like that. Here is a picture of him attacking my Yellow and Purple wrasse that is 2x the size of him. He killed my Swissguard Basslet and was attacking my spotted mandarin. Then I put a flame angel in. He was scared of the flame, but as soon as he was out of range he would go back to bullying. He was also bullying the grammica lined dart fish, but he put him in his place a few times. The Randall's fanning fin would get split down the middle and grow back fine in the next 2 days.

IMG_20170421_105748.jpg
Wow dude that's a ticked off Goby. So...I came across a Red Sea Lyretail Anthias at a LFS for $30. Couldn't find any more uncommon and interesting ones so I thought it was nice. I know the wife would like it.
Looked a little skinny but figured from shipping pretty standard. Ate pretty well but got a blotchy patch on its side. A couple days later, went to the big Ocean in the sky. [emoji17]

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 113 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.2%
Back