Decent Nitrates, undetectable phosphates, cyano/brown algae accumulating 3 times a day

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Strangely enough, I dosed multiple times over the span of the day and after each test (waiting 30min to an hour) yielded a clear result. I know that the Salifert kit works, as I've seen it turn a pale blue. Is there any suggested/better additive than NeoPhos? I am certain that my corals are not thrilled due to the low phosphate. Any recommendations on something better? I don't feel comfortable repeatedly dosing in a single day and still seeing undetectable results.
Solid sodium phosphate from Loudwolf can be used to make your own phosphate additive. The case might be that NeoPhos is just too dilute (to improve the profit margin).

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Strangely enough, I dosed multiple times over the span of the day and after each test (waiting 30min to an hour) yielded a clear result. I know that the Salifert kit works, as I've seen it turn a pale blue. Is there any suggested/better additive than NeoPhos? I am certain that my corals are not thrilled due to the low phosphate. Any recommendations on something better? I don't feel comfortable repeatedly dosing in a single day and still seeing undetectable results.
Many folks use food grade Monosodium Phosphate obtained online and make a DIY solution.

It is much cheaper than commercial products and you know exactly what it contains.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 103 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.7%
Back