Decided to turn off my protein skimmer...

Zeal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank:IM 40 G AIO

So I've been batteling with Tunze 9001 for a couple months now I've done everything I can think of to get it working. All it does it fill the cup up with water and create micro bubbles. I'm tired of dealing with it.

I decided to take it out last night and I'm worried if it was the right thing to do. I'm currently running a refegium in a media basket with cheato and live rock. I also have seachem Matrix, purgin and chemiclear blue. I'm thinking about replacing the protein skimmer with the filter socks that came with the tank and see how that goes for a bit.

I have 6 fish a cleaner shrimp and a pistol so my bioload isn't all that crazy but I have quite a bit of corals. I do weekly 5g water changes also so the tank is pretty clean...

Been reading alot that having a skimmer isn't always needed but there's alot of opinions... What else can I do to maximize my efforts without having a skimmer?

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have any pictures of your setup?

There are other options to a skimmer, the big reason to run one is air exchange.

If i ran my system without a skimmer i would probably add another power closer to the surface, increase the amount of gac i use, and add a cryptic zone of sponges on my sump.

OP
OP
Zeal

Zeal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have any pictures of your setup?

There are other options to a skimmer, the big reason to run one is air exchange.

If i ran my system without a skimmer i would probably add another power closer to the surface, increase the amount of gac i use, and add a cryptic zone of sponges on my sump.
It's a all in one tank so the skimmer is just hanging in it's own chamber

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm, maybe someone with an aio will have better suggestions

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could get on of those quality air stone skimmers. I think Marinedepot sells them and there is a Japanese model as well.

esse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got an aio that's not running a skimmer. I wonder if your refugium and chemical filtration is enough to handle the bio load
My tank runs on kalk and vinegar in the ato & marine pure spheres in the back. That seems to be keeping nitrate and phosphates bottomed out.

edit: I've wanted to add a skimmer but the back chamber is too narrow for the ones I wanted. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but a big part of why you want a skimmer is for the aeration & a potential bump to pH

OP
OP
Zeal

Zeal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got an aio that's not running a skimmer. I wonder if your refugium and chemical filtration is enough to handle the bio load
My tank runs on kalk and vinegar in the ato & marine pure spheres in the back. That seems to be keeping nitrate and phosphates bottomed out.

edit: I've wanted to add a skimmer but the back chamber is too narrow for the ones I wanted. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but a big part of why you want a skimmer is for the aeration & a potential bump to pH
I'm not gonan run the skimmer for a weekend to see how things go

OP
OP
Zeal

Zeal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I've read people having massive tanks and no skimmer. I only feed once a day and corals twice a week.

Laffy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tried raising the skimmer? I had problem with my aquamaxx nf-1 for over a month with similar issues. I ran it through hot water, vinegar and raised an inch higher than it was. Works like a champ now.

OP
OP
Zeal

Zeal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tried raising the skimmer? I had problem with my aquamaxx nf-1 for over a month with similar issues. I ran it through hot water, vinegar and raised an inch higher than it was. Works like a champ now.
I tried that as well all it did was create bubbles at the surface. I took it out soaked it in water and vinegar for an hour and now it's sitting outside drying. I'll see how things go this week and if needed I'll put it back in

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't need a protein skimmer, if you are able to keep nutrient levels in order, by doing water changes.

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AS long as that keeps down the nutrient build up, your fine. If it doesn't, then you just need to up the gallons per swap

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 28 30.8%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 21 23.1%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 23 25.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 19 20.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back