OP
E

Evieeeeee

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About a year in that tank. Most of it came from an 8 year 90 gallon and a 5 year old jbj 45 that I condensed into one tank.
How are you handling flow in the tank? I see a gyre in yours and I was also planning on a gyre but I'm not sure how to make sure the SPS is getting enough flow but the LPS isn't overwhelmed

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are you handling flow in the tank? I see a gyre in yours and I was also planning on a gyre but I'm not sure how to make sure the SPS is getting enough flow but the LPS isn't overwhelmed
2x gyre 3k on the sides up high, 3x mp 40s on the back, and an abyzz a200 for the return.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I experience not much disco effect in my tank, and IME, raising the lights high enough results in even spread without that effect. Definitely to each his own though. :)
This right here as well. I have xr30s on a frag tank, gen 1 photon on half of a another frag tank and ai primes on a nano. Height and diffusers do wonderful things.

In all honesty, a Viparspectra with the lenses removed placed 10-12 inches above most tanks with grow anything and not be a 70s disco party. The thing to look at most is what look you want.

OP
OP
E

Evieeeeee

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This right here as well. I have xr30s on a frag tank, gen 1 photon on half of a another frag tank and ai primes on a nano. Height and diffusers do wonderful things.

In all honesty, a Viparspectra with the lenses removed placed 10-12 inches above most tanks with grow anything and not be a 70s disco party. The thing to look at most is what look you want.
How high do you have them mounted? Since I can't drill I need to use legs and I think BRS recommended height was higher than the legs on the ge2 photons.

Same with viparspectra, dont think they have leg options

OP
OP
E

Evieeeeee

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get 2 36" Aquatic Life hybrid fixtures to start with. Add the Leds overtime. Light will never be an issue.
I feel like I just prefer the look of a single 61" fixture. I should be able to get away with spill from LED and T5s if I only put softies in the edges I think? And also I can't mount 1 LED per 2' if I get 2 36"s right?

But I will look into getting 2 36" fixtures too, thanks

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How high do you have them mounted? Since I can't drill I need to use legs and I think BRS recommended height was higher than the legs on the ge2 photons.

I have 2 of the hanger kits for the T5 hybrid set so the lights are about 8” from the water. It supported the 61” hybrid with 3x MH sitting on top of it with no issues. It is adjustable and mounts to the back of the stand. I did have to use 2 kits though, as the MH and hybrid fixture we a little over 30 lbs.

In all honesty, you can diy a light mount with wood, 80/20, schedule 80 pvc and a ton of other things.

Here is a link to the hangar I have now. You may be able to get away with a single kit if you use leds and the hybrid fixture. I would call aquatic life first and find out.

And here is the one I ordered that should be here tomorrow. Yayyyy!!! It will support the 61” fixture in itself.

BranchingHammer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The legs allow you to raise them around 11 inches over the water, and you could link the two with the linking rails. You might also think about these BOT mounting arms to mount the light at that same height but from the back of the tank:
https://reefbreeders.com/shop/bot-mount/

OP
OP
E

Evieeeeee

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 of the hanger kits for the T5 hybrid set so the lights are about 8” from the water. It supported the 61” hybrid with 3x MH sitting on top of it with no issues. It is adjustable and mounts to the back of the stand. I did have to use 2 kits though, as the MH and hybrid fixture we a little over 30 lbs.

In all honesty, you can diy a light mount with wood, 80/20, schedule 80 pvc and a ton of other things.

Here is a link to the hangar I have now. You may be able to get away with a single kit if you use leds and the hybrid fixture. I would call aquatic life first and find out.

And here is the one I ordered that should be here tomorrow. Yayyyy!!! It will support the 61” fixture in itself.

You got away with 2 mounts? It says each leg supports 10lbs. But yeah I contacted BRS and aquatic life for a confirmation, thanks for the recommendation!

Kessil

Aquarium LED lighting
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3 AP9X on this tank would be a huge amount of light - so you could do it if you wanted, but it may be a bit overkill for anything other than wall to wall SPS.

You could do 2 AP9X on that tank, or between 4 and 6 A360X, depending on how your rock work is set up.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 23.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 30.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%
Back