Deciding on next fish

Hbhirschey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bought a Black and White Ocellaris Clownsfish over the weekend. Looking to add another one but not sure if I should go with a other black and white or a different clownfish. I'd like to have two in the tank before adding other fish species. Suggestions?

Euphyllia97

Empty wallet member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should always stick to the same type of clownfish. Otherwise they will kill eachother.

Also 1 pair maximum for a normal sized tank.

OP
OP
H

Hbhirschey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. That's what I was wondering. I have a smaller tank 46 bow. And 20g sump.

ReefHomieJon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had one oscellaris in my tank and then randomly went and bought 2 clarkiis a little over a week ago. My oscelaris went nuts and made it his mission to eradicate them lol. They’re just a little smaller than him so they found places to hide in that he couldn’t fit, only coming out to grab food and then would shoot back in their hiding places hopefully without Nemo seeing them. Craziest thing, I bought a green bubble tip anemone this past saturday and literally THE MOMENT I put it in the tank I seen all three clowns swimming by and around each other with no problems. The next day the clarkiis claimed the nem as their home so they’re hosting it and Nemo is back to swimming in the water column like he always did. There’s peace between them now but I wonder if throwing in another oscellaris or a black n white osc. will cause another round of clown civil unrest

ReefHomieJon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I were you tho in a 46g I would do another black n white or maybe an orange oscellaris cuz I heard as long as they’re oscellaris in a pair regardless of color that they’ll get along

ProtoNate

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not certain on this, but if you add a pair of clowns before other livestock, they may become territorial of the entire tank. I had a firefish that was bullied by a pair of clowns as I added the pair first, and they claimed the entire tank.

May be worth working in your other livestock before adding the other clown, so they don't pair and claim the tank for themselves.

OP
OP
H

Hbhirschey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe stick with black and white but get a designer clown instead. Like frostbite/black snow etc.
Newer tank and worried about loosing a more expensive fish. But I guess that's part of the game even with established tanks.

OP
OP
H

Hbhirschey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not certain on this, but if you add a pair of clowns before other livestock, they may become territorial of the entire tank. I had a firefish that was bullied by a pair of clowns as I added the pair first, and they claimed the entire tank.

May be worth working in your other livestock before adding the other clown, so they don't pair and claim the tank for themselves.

Good idea. I could do that. Any quick suggestions?

ProtoNate

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good idea. I could do that. Any quick suggestions?
Any type of goby, really. I like watchmen and firefish, both of which are really docile, cheap, and cool to observe. Also, if you get a pistol shrimp the goby and shrimp will pair creating, what I think, is one of the coolest partnerships in our hobby.

You could also get working fish like a flasher or fairy wrasse, lawnmower blenny, or tailspot. These will work to keep your tank nice and clean!

All of the fish listed are relatively cheap and any combo would be a good addition to your tank, I think!

OP
OP
H

Hbhirschey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the suggestions. I'll look into these over the next couple days.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.6%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 47 35.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back