Deciding on overflow

StokesReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there, I’m planning an 80 gallon frag tank with the 48x24x16 dimensions. Would like to have a couple Zebrasoma Tangs, a wrasse, and some Chromis in it.

I like the reef ready rimless 80 gallon tanks (would be from Seapora here in Canada) because I could run the durso and avoid any external plumbing. I can’t go deeper than 24” space wise, so adding an overflow to the back wouldn’t work - it would have to get drilled on the side which obviously isn’t ideal. I understand that Dursos are best at low flow, and I don’t plan on having a huge amount of water turnover. In fact, I have an unused Sicce 1.0 lying around, and am thinking about using that. It should reliably give me 2x tank volume turnover (251 GPH rated). I’d like to keep mixed frags and a few larger colonies with a fair amount of acropora.

Does this seem reasonable? Flood prevention is a huge concern for me, but having a well setup (low flow) Durso with a properly sized return pump sump chamber seems pretty flood-proof to me (even comparing with a Herbie/Bean).

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 95 76.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 12.0%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.4%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back