Modular marine overflow questions?

iReefer12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I really wouldn’t use the 2nd gate valve. Their not cheap (return and get your money back). It’s just unnecessary and their bulky too.

The only way that open channel pipe goes full siphon is if the Full Siphon drain gets blocked… in that case you want it to be full siphon with no restriction

OP
OP
C

Contractor_Chris

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went cheap and bought sch80 ball valves and they came in a 2 pack. One was 38 or amazon had two for 40$. I wasn't ready to blow 100+ dollars per gate valve. And they are worlds easier to adjust then a sch40 ball valve (made that mistake on previous tanks)

iReefer12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
TBH I’ve never used a ball valve instead of a gate valve… it could work, but it also could be a PITA to make work. Just make sure you have the ability to cut it out and install a gate valve if you need to.

DCR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trying to throttle the full siphon with a sticky 1-1/2" ball valve is going to be difficult. I would get the gate valve for the full siphon. If you adjust it properly with just a small trickle going over the open channel overflow it won't be noisy.

OP
OP
C

Contractor_Chris

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel the sch80 ball valves don't stick. They seem smooth as butter esp compared to sch40 ball valves. I agree I wanted to do a gate but 120 dollars is absurd and just highway robbery. Yes I've spent copious amount on everything else thus far. But some reason that's just a pill I can't swallow. Know of anywhere to buy one besides brs for that kind of money?

DCR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would also consider swaging down to a 1" gate valve on the full siphon - at least at the gate valve. 1-1/2" is massively oversized for the flow you will have. It will be severely throttled and more difficult to control. Also save so some money.

iReefer12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

It’s just how expensive they are. Tough pill, but worth it IMO.

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel the sch80 ball valves don't stick. They seem smooth as butter esp compared to sch40 ball valves. I agree I wanted to do a gate but 120 dollars is absurd and just highway robbery. Yes I've spent copious amount on everything else thus far. But some reason that's just a pill I can't swallow. Know of anywhere to buy one besides brs for that kind of money?

Sched 80 ball valve. They get sticky
20170117_225519 (1).jpg

I ran it for many years. I also reduced after it to a 1" that made it easier to dial in and quieter as mentioned above.

I now have a 1" gate valve on my new setup after moving tank locations. I would have done this from the beginning.

OP
OP
C

Contractor_Chris

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just dont understand why the over flow box AND trigger sump has 1.5 bulk heads/adapters to just reduce everything down to 1" ‍♂️ at that point i have to return everything i have from brs, pay for shipping back. Get smaller stuff plus buy reducers.

Though on my 300 gal fresh tank I do have a 1" full siphon and a 1¼ durso. And agree it's still throttled down, as the filter sock holder can't handle more flow and just makes a mess and spills over.

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I purchased a 3000gph modular marine overflow for my 180 gallon tank. Just installed it. But the two bulk heads going thru the tank are completely in the way of being able to make a durso. The 3 bulk heads going out are 1½" so doing a bean animal. 1 full siphon, one durso, 9ne emergency. But they are right on top of each other. Close enough I'll have to stagger all the unions. I'm sure many have this over flow. Post a photo or explain what you did that worked? Thanks Chris

20231223_223336.jpg 20231223_223721.jpg 20231223_223732.jpg
Make the middle one the emergancy pipe and just a straight piece of tube.
Use the 2 ends for the other drains.
Gives you all the room
On the sides for the durso

DCR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use two 1" returns and 1" drains (Bean) on a 150 gallon. It is not a big deal to reduce down. You have a really good overflow box. I think they are just conservative in their sizing. I agree that the ball valve is going to become sticky over time. You can use it initially and modify it later. I understand the feeling of having spent alot of money already.

billyocean

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Grab a gate valve from flexpvc.com it's like 50 bucks for a 1.5". I have 2 MM 3000 gph overflows on a 300 I am building. As someone mentioned previously you can cut the bulkhead down with a saw and use the "p-trap 90s" on left and right holes and use the straight emergency pipe in the middle. Leave emergency about an inch below the top of the overflow. Even with 2 overflows it's pretty quiet. 7" filter socks silencers helped a lot too.
20231224_112500.jpg
20231224_112525.jpg
20231224_112548.jpg

If you cut the backside of the bulkhead it leaves the room needed.

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, id ditch the durso for the full drain, its wasted space.
just use one of these for the full siphon.

iReefer12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I just dont understand why the over flow box AND trigger sump has 1.5 bulk heads/adapters to just reduce everything down to 1" ‍♂️ at that point i have to return everything i have from brs, pay for shipping back. Get smaller stuff plus buy reducers.

Though on my 300 gal fresh tank I do have a 1" full siphon and a 1¼ durso. And agree it's still throttled down, as the filter sock holder can't handle more flow and just makes a mess and spills over.
I think the suggestion is to reduce down to 1” only on the full siphon and only at the gate valve, (overflow box bulkhead 1-1/2” reducer -> 1” gate valve -> reducer going back to 1-1/2” to continue the drain line down to the sump).

The point being that the gate valve on the full siphon is reduced already to control flow. So reducing down to 1” really isn’t compromising anything.

1” return line should work fine for this size tank.

Fungusamongus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
60$ for a gate valve at saltwateraquarium. Unless you need a 2 inch. Totally worth it. Mine is super smoothe.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%
Back