Durso dialed in, but...

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I installed a Durso drain on a system. I have everything balanced and working.

But I notice as my filter media becomes clogged, the flow rate changes and I need to adjust the durso.

Is there a way around this?

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I installed a Durso drain on a system. I have everything balanced and working.

But I notice as my filter media becomes clogged, the flow rate changes and I need to adjust the durso.

Is there a way around this?
What do you mean dialed in?
It's just a drain.
When I ran a durso I only drilled the hole bigger to allow more air in the pipe. That it what did it for me.

OP
OP
Dom

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you mean dialed in?
It's just a drain.
When I ran a durso I only drilled the hole bigger to allow more air in the pipe. That it what did it for me.

"Dialed In" refers to equal balance between input and output. The same about of water goes out and comes in.

landlubber

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i'm guessing the problem exists due to mechanical filtration clogging and not allowing the same rate of flow.
If so,
1. try without the socks or filter media
2. step up the maintenance routine so they never get clogged up.
if not, elaborate. haha

OP
OP
Dom

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i'm guessing the problem exists due to mechanical filtration clogging and not allowing the same rate of flow.
If so,
1. try without the socks or filter media
2. step up the maintenance routine so they never get clogged up.
if not, elaborate. haha

Agree; the clogging media slows the flow out of the tank. In turn, you have to dial back the flow rate of the pump or the amount of air allowed to enter the drain.

Are people who run Durso drains having to constantly monitor their water level?

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree; the clogging media slows the flow out of the tank. In turn, you have to dial back the flow rate of the pump or the amount of air allowed to enter the drain.

Even with the changes of seasons and the barometer going up and down you're going to have slight changes in your flow.
And then when you get a slime on the inside of your pipe you'll have a little bit less flow never mind all the Little Critters that are going to make camp in there.

landlubber

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

so when i built mine i anticipated far more adjustment than i really have needed and incorporated a piece of RODI line with a John Guest valve on the end so i'd be able to throttle the air required. I never did need it but possibly something that could help you :)

OP
OP
Dom

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so when i built mine i anticipated far more adjustment than i really have needed and incorporated a piece of RODI line with a John Guest valve on the end so i'd be able to throttle the air required. I never did need it but possibly something that could help you :)

Yes! I have one installed to adjust the amount of air entering the Durso. And it is where I make my adjustments.

But is this a "down side" to the Durso; that you have to constantly adjust it?

OP
OP
Dom

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even with the changes of seasons and the barometer going up and down you're going to have slight changes in your flow.
And then when you get a slime on the inside of your pipe you'll have a little bit less flow never mind all the Little Critters that are going to make camp in there.

So this is the way it is with Durso, I just have to live with it?

landlubber

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes! I have one installed to adjust the amount of air entering the Durso. And it is where I make my adjustments.

But is this a "down side" to the Durso; that you have to constantly adjust it?
At first when i was playing with the valve and airline i found similar problems, mostly around trying to tame the gurgling and rapid flushes.
eventually what solved the entire problem was enlarging the hole on the top of the stack. i went from probably a 1/8" drill hole and went to 1/4" and no longer valve it at all.
I've never had to touch it again, that was in 2015 haha

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At first when i was playing with the valve and airline i found similar problems, mostly around trying to tame the gurgling and rapid flushes.
eventually what solved the entire problem was enlarging the hole on the top of the stack. i went from probably a 1/8" drill hole and went to 1/4" and no longer valve it at all.
I've never had to touch it again, that was in 2015 haha
Exactly!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 56.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.7%
Back