Deciding on supplemental LEds for my 40B

  • Thread starter Thread starter murfajm
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

murfajm

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 2, 2024
Messages
15
Reaction score
3
Location
Hampton Roads
What state or country do you live in
Virginia
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,
long time lurker, first time poster. I have had my 40B reef up and running for about 3.5 years now, and am slowly making the transition to an SPS only reef tank.
I currently run a 6 bulb t5 ATI unit over it, about 7 in from the water surface and am trying to decide if i need more lighting for some of the higher light needing SPS. i currently get about 330-360 par on the top of the rocks and about 275 on sand bed in center.

Question 1: Do I need anymore lighting? I desire to place SPS from sand bed to top of rock structure
Question 2: If I do, been looking at one Quanta Pro or AI Blade (Par increase approximations?)

Thanks in advance,
Austin
 
so more would just be a waste? too close to the photoinhibition point? just curious on your reasoning.

Yes you already have near what I would max corals out at in terms of par, particular if your lights have lots of blues as the photoinhibition point is lower for blue light.
 
Yes you already have near what I would max corals out at in terms of par, particular if your lights have lots of blues as the photoinhibition point is lower for blue light.
sounds good. thanks for the explanation.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 7 46.7%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 2 13.3%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 3 20.0%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 1 6.7%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 1 6.7%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 6.7%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new